FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1770563-just-facts-eqd-status-tier-other-changes-announced-6-jun-2016-a.html)

JDiver Jun 6, 2016 7:46 am

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

This thread was started by whatupbovice to announce the several coming changes to the AAdvantage program, including "EQD" (Elite Qualifying Dollar) credit that AA will require from those seeking status in 2017 and onward. For details, glossary and links, please read the wikipost at the top of the page.

For discussion of impact, reactions, etc. please use REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

If you can not see the wikipost:
  • Wikiposts currently can not be seen with the mobile skin

• You can go to the "wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which minimizes all wikis. You can turn wiki posts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

• You may have Wikiposts turned off in your settings

If so, in "My FlyerTalk - Your Control Panel - Edit Options - Miscellaneous options" see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
[] Hide all wikiposts

and reset as needed.
/Moderator

whatupbovice Jun 6, 2016 9:57 am

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...ryId=undefined

ryan182 Jun 6, 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango (Post 26736610)
Yes, but this is presumably only bad news for us. AA will undoubtedly spin it as a change we will like.

That line brings back Smisek flashbacks
"“We’re doing to make a lot of changes and we think you’re going to like it,”
:eek:

ryan182 Jun 6, 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by whatupbovice (Post 26736652)

Well that doesn't seem that bad at all...basically $12K min spend for EXP? Am I missing something here?

ETA: Oh just saw the upgrade priority as well, thats an interesting change. Previous 12 months spend not time dictates where you are on the list.

TheBOSman Jun 6, 2016 9:59 am

Quick hits:

New 75k level called Platinum Pro

Reduction in time for Platinum upgrade from T-72 to T-48 (PLTP stays at T-72)

Introduction of EQDs at similar levels to DL and UA

Introduction of revenue based RDMs at similar levels to DL and UA

EXP can use upgrade benefits on award tickets booked in coach (I really could have used this when I was EXP...)

Also:

Upgrades
Upgrade prioritization

The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months.
Bolding mine

brp Jun 6, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 26736663)
Well that doesn't seem that bad at all...basically $12K min spend for EXP? Am I missing something here?

I agree. This is in line with what I expected. I was hoping for $10K, but $12K is more what I expected it to be. If this is the extent of it for 2017, I'm good with it.

Now we wait for either:

a. More 2017 changes
b. 2018 changes

:)

Cheers.

DWFI Jun 6, 2016 10:02 am

Where's the carnage? :p

Edit: this is interesting

Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class.

AZ Travels the World Jun 6, 2016 10:03 am

View from the Wing

Gary has posted a summary: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-elite-status/

aves17 Jun 6, 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 26736663)

Earning rates for different fare classes won't be disclosed until later and I think that's where they're really going to drop the hammer.

ashill Jun 6, 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 26736664)
Quick hits:

New 75k level called Platinum Pro

Reduction in time for Platinum upgrade from T-72 to T-48 (PLTP stays at T-72)

Introduction of EQDs at similar levels to DL and UA

Introduction of revenue based RDMs at similar levels to DL and UA

And complimentary upgrades (no stickers) for Platinum Pro.

Really, at a glance, this doesn't look shocking or doom-and-gloom to me. Basically a carbon copy of the DL and UA elite programs. Particularly re EQDs:

Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased
and (emphasis added)

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.
So partner flights do count, which was my main objection to MQDs as first implemented by DL and as still implemented by UA.

Upgrades will be prioritized by EQDs earned in a rolling 12 month period. Obviously some will like that more than others.

Effective for earning beginning January 1, 2017 for the 2018 status year, so they gave ≈6 months notice for earning and ≈18 months' notice for the changes taking effect.

All in all, not so bad at first glance.

SJC AA Jun 6, 2016 10:05 am

This part is actually good:
"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

I'm worried about the vagueness of "the next class." It might mean Main Cabin Extra. Or Premium Economy.

captaink Jun 6, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 26736670)
I agree. This is in line with what I expected. I was hoping for $10K, but $12K is more what I expected it to be. If this is the extent of it for 2017, I'm good with it.

Now we wait for either:

a. More 2017 changes
b. 2018 changes

:)

Cheers.

Yeah, this is NOWHERE near what the hints & predictions implied. The only thing that concerns me is:

How is the 500-mile EQM minimum benefit applied for elite members?

If your flight is less than 500 miles we’ll raise the base EQM amount to 500 prior to applying any multipliers, according to the booking code purchased. After applying the multiplier, the number of EQMs awarded could be less than 500. For example, if your flight is 300 miles in length, we will raise the base EQM amount to 500. If the multiplier to be applied is 0.50, you will earn 250 EQMs for the flight.
Does this only apply to partner flights that earn fractional EQMs, or are there hidden multipliers for AA marketed Deep Discount fares coming too?

no1cub17 Jun 6, 2016 10:06 am

Wow - so no more timestamps at all! Interesting. I'm curious though how EQDs will work for partner flights. I.E. CX PEY earns 1.5 EQMs/mile - how will EQDs work for that?

thepaul500 Jun 6, 2016 10:06 am

Is platinum losing oneWorld sapphire and downgrading to Ruby? I realize this isn't written on there, but I PlatPro will be sapphire....

brewdog11 Jun 6, 2016 10:07 am

Any word yet on whether there will be a EQD waiver through any of the credit cards?