Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why not use better IT and artificial intelligence to reduce human agent mistakes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not use better IT and artificial intelligence to reduce human agent mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:03 am

Because Delta hasn't done it yet.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mark_T
When everything has blown up due to severe weather etc. you need a human with the ability to decide which rules to enforce and which to ignore to get stuff cleaned up quickly.
Definitely. And when one of those humans is a dud, we know what to do.

That said, improving an algorithm here or there (like the one that reassigns seats after an aircraft change, or chooses new flights after a schedule change) couldn't hurt.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I think actual "AI" is a pipe-dream for an airline. However, I think better programming and QA of that programming should definitely be a goal for AA. It's important that AA's software accurately reflects what policies exist for the airline so that an agent doesn't need to say, "Well, I understand the policy says this, but the computer won't let me do it". In addition, agents need to be empowered to make logical decisions, so that if an override is needed to resolve an issue, it can be done. To ensure an agent doesn't "abuse" this power, all of these overrides need to be tracked, so that if an agent has an abnormal amount of them, it can be checked to make sure the agent has a logical reason for each override.

One thing I think we've developed in many industries that I hate is that line in customer service, "Well, you're right as a customer, but the computer won't allow us to do it even though the policy is you should be able to". Some companies empower their front line customer service agents to make decisions and help customers...others don't. I personally find that companies that empower these agents are the better ones and can help win me over as a repeat customer (although in the airline industry, due to the oligopoly of it, that isn't as important to the company, but that's a whole other story).
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

For the OP, there is a decision to be taken in the example you cite, getting someone on their way as soon as possible but in the wrong cabin will sometimes be preferable to the passenger rather than getting them in the right cabin but waiting a couple of days. The AI can't evaluate that and make the 'right' decision as their is no 'right' that doesn't involve an assumption, the AAgent and the passenger can resolve that between them.
Good point but in the example that I cited, the AA agent did not apply AA policies. My family member was rerouted and should have been put on the first flight that had first class inventory or, if the first flight didn't have first class inventory, my family member should have been given the choice of flying in coach or waiting for a flight that had first class inventory. A refund ($0.10/mile or $50) would have been offered for a flight in coach, I think.

Instead, the AA agent skipped an earlier flight that had first class inventory, booked my family member on a later flight, with a long layover, in coach and said "no refund and you have no other choice".

Some people don't like automation and so the way this situation would have worked, if AA had the AI/IT systems that I'd like, is that:

1. My family member would have been given a proposed new schedule (first flight, which had FC inventory) and some alternatives, including keeping the original flight.

2. My family member would have been asked to accept the proposed new schedule or pick an alternative.

3. If my family member wanted something else, my family member would have been given the option to speak to a human agent.

This kind of AI/IT would be expensive to develop, but it would have avoided (1) salaries of human agents for the multiple phone calls that it took to fix the situation after the original agent screwed up and other agents wouldn't apply the rules, (2) customer frustration and (3) the compensation that my family member is asking for due to the bad customer service.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
This kind of AI/IT would be expensive to develop, but it would have avoided (1) salaries of human agents for the multiple phone calls that it took to fix the situation after the original agent screwed up and other agents wouldn't apply the rules, (2) customer frustration and (3) the compensation that my family member is asking for due to the bad customer service.
Edge cases and occasional errors don't usually make a good basis for major system developments.

I think they would be happy to take the hit for the compensation for the occasional errors vs the cost of trying to eliminate them.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:32 am
Suspended

Edge cases and occasional errors don't usually make a good basis for major system developments.

I think they would be happy to take the hit for the compensation for the occasional errors vs the cost of trying to eliminate them.
Absolutely agree on both counts.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When everything has blown up due to severe weather etc. you need a human with the ability to decide which rules to enforce and which to ignore to get stuff cleaned up quickly.
One alternative is waiving the fare rules and inventory restrictions and just letting passengers rebook themselves via an app. That's the way DL does it. Save the phone reps for the complicated itins that need more - but I have rebooked an award ticket with a routing change in under 45 seconds. AA is way, way behind in some customer-facing tech.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One alternative is waiving the fare rules and inventory restrictions and just letting passengers rebook themselves via an app. That's the way DL does it. Save the phone reps for the complicated itins that need more - but I have rebooked an award ticket with a routing change in under 45 seconds. AA is way, way behind in some customer-facing tech.
I don't disagree with that approach, it makes a lot more sense to effectively outsource the intelligence to the customer rather than trying to create it artificially within the system.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

AI is taking over a lot of fields that now require humans. Even my industry is having some tasks that I and particularly more junior people do taken over by AI. I'm a white-collar professional with a graduate degree, and everyone who works in my level of job has to have a graduate degree, but even we are affected by AI.

AA and other airlines have already switched a significant amount of customer interactions to better IT systems, and progress should continue.

I like Delta's approach of letting the customer rebook flights. That's exactly what I'm saying.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:13 am

IT is better than a bad agent, worse than a good agent. Most processes that are turned over to AI are basic level stuff.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
....I like Delta's approach of letting the customer rebook flights. That's exactly what I'm saying.
No one could even -conceivably- be opposed to that, it's fantastic and something AA will soon have. Nothing whatsoever to do with AI.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:40 am

AI is getting some very loose usage in this thread, but if the point is could AA IT systems be better from a customer perspective then clearly yes they could.

Don't wish too hard for IT systems that accurately and exactly implement the published rules though as we often rely on the latitude that a good AAgent has to get the results we need.

As pointed out by the DL example, what is often needed is a relaxation of rules rather than an automated adherence to the rules.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
No one could even -conceivably- be opposed to that, it's fantastic and something AA will soon have. Nothing whatsoever to do with AI.
Agreed, more of this is a good thing.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AI is getting some very loose usage in this thread, but if the point is could AA IT systems be better from a customer perspective then clearly yes they could.

Don't wish too hard for IT systems that accurately and exactly implement the published rules though as we often rely on the latitude that a good AAgent has to get the results we need.

As pointed out by the DL example, what is often needed is a relaxation of rules rather than an automated adherence to the rules.
And yet, the trend with AA seems to be toward further restrictions and codification of rigidities - look what has happened with awards or SDFC, for example.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
And yet, the trend with AA seems to be toward further restrictions and codification of rigidities - look what has happened with awards or SDFC, for example.
Agreed, which is why I suggest people don't wish for more of the same...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.