Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Suzanne Rubin to resign as head of AAdvantage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suzanne Rubin to resign as head of AAdvantage

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Good thing no one's overreacting to this news. I'm sure that there is no one else in the United States who can do a competent job as head of AAdvantage.
Ah, the drive for competency. Gotta love it, we've gone from striving for excellence to accepting competent. Competent is a pretty low bar, so indeed very possible to find a competent parrot for Doug. I sure don't want a competent Doctor, when I know I can have an excellent one.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by rjw242
The market forces and corporate objectives that Rubin worked under won't be going anywhere. One could argue that she did a better job at preserving value for members than most would've done under the circumstances (cf. Delta)
Indeed. AAdvantage was clearly the best FFP of the US airlines for quite a while. DL SkyPesos (or, more correctly, SkyDong) were worthless long before AAdvantage miles were devalued.

I'm pleased that AAdvantage stayed as close to what it was pre-merger for as long as it did. Can't help but worry about who is going to be the replacement.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
I believe she was in charge of AAdvantage when it moved to BIS only, redemption price increases, and now, a move to revenue based. Plus, all the other cuts we all know.

She only brought disappointments. Good to see her go. Hopefully the replacement will be better for members.
Sooooo....she changed the program a bit to favor people who are actually frequent flyers and actually generate revenue for the business? Isn't that exactly what her job was? Agree however on the disappointing redemption changes.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Concur entirely that SR preserved more for AAdvantage members who are not the high-revenue minority, than did her compatriots at UA, DL and frankly the entire industry (see Avios). Her departure may (will probably?) herald accelerated devaluation, probably by an entirely competent manager who knows very well which side of his/her bread is buttered.

That's what I mean by RIP AAdvantage.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by scnzzz
There goes the program. AAdvantage RIP.
That would be the

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...16-almost.html

program that she has been leading?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CPRich
That would be the

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...16-almost.html

program that she has been leading?
Yes, or alternatively the Freddie Awards' Best Elite Program for 2016. It's almost as if you can make any point you want by taking an overly reductionist approach.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sabai
Isn't he in jail with his mentor, Bernie Madof?
Are you confusing him with Jeff Smisek?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Her departure may (will probably?) herald accelerated devaluation, probably by an entirely competent manager who knows very well which side of his/her bread is buttered.
Exactly. The "new American" management can install whoever they want now, and it's probably not going to be somebody who is thinking about proctecting value for AAdvantage members.

This is not good news.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:26 pm

delete

Last edited by brewdog11; May 11, 2016 at 2:26 pm Reason: post in error
Old May 11, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Exactly. The "new American" management can install whoever they want now, and it's probably not going to be somebody who is thinking about proctecting value for AAdvantage members.

This is not good news.
I don't get the thinking that someone would come into a job planning to screw over their "customers". I dont think they would want to come in and then have a bunch of angry elites and defections to other airlines due to their changes. Sounds crazy but might be worthwhile to wait and see what happens before predicting the end of the world.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryan182
I don't get the thinking that someone would come into a job planning to screw over their "customers". I dont think they would want to come in and then have a bunch of angry elites and defections to other airlines due to their changes. Sounds crazy but might be worthwhile to wait and see what happens before predicting the end of the world.
They're firing some of their less profitable customers, which can be very good for the bottom line.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They're firing some of their less profitable customers, which can be very good for the bottom line.
That term is born of stupidity; the very embodiment of "penny-wise, pound-foolish." Ask United how that worked for them after their merger with Continental.

(Answer: an about-face immediately after their crook CEO Smisek was kicked to the curb.)
Old May 11, 2016, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I admit I really don't know much about her, however, none of us know for sure how much she may have fought for. At least for now, we still have EQMs, domestic upgrades available on any fare, the use of SWUs on any fare (and yes we are now down to 4), etc. Changes are coming later this year and certainly a revenue based model for elite status is very plausible. With four major airlines this is the direction of FF programs.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by AA_CPA

She only brought disappointments. Good to see her go. Hopefully the replacement will be better for members.
She likely kept it from getting much worse.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
That term is born of stupidity; the very embodiment of "penny-wise, pound-foolish." Ask United how that worked for them after their merger with Continental.

(Answer: an about-face immediately after their crook CEO Smisek was kicked to the curb.)
UA under Smisek seemed to be driving away some of their most profitable customers. There's a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.