Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access in Vancouver (YVR)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Lounge in YVR / Vancouver?

I'm sorry if this was posted before - I searched but couldn't find an answer. Does AA offer lounge access in Vancouver? If so, what lounge?
Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
BA and Cathay have lounges in YVR, AA does not. Depending on your destination, you might be able to use those. Given your EXP, status you'd have access to the lounges, however, AA members are only allowed entry into OneWorld lounges if traveling internationally (with exceptions - see below - US/Canada doesn't qualify).

Fine print: American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when traveling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

So if you're flying from YVR to GIG (even with connections), you should be good.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:11 pm

To fly like a pro out of YVR on AA to USA
1. Make sure you have a global entry card... Yep the stupid card as they do not give a Canadian Bacon if you have Global Entry they just want to see the card
2. Use the Priority Pass lounge on left side as soon as hit bottom of slope walkway after USA customs. Multiple credit card companies offer free priorty pass benefits.

They use a lot of glass to segregate areas at YVR and if you fly out on AA you are in sterile post US Customs area. If you or your lady friend like expensive jewelry and handbags you will be glad to know you can see the fancy stuff but you are separated by glass. You may end up in a argument over the fact you can not actually get to the store. Yes this happened to me
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Doesn't Alaska have a lounge at YVR AA Club members can use for US departures?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by BrianV
BA and Cathay have lounges in YVR, AA does not. Depending on your destination, you might be able to use those. Given your EXP, status you'd have access to the lounges, however, AA members are only allowed entry into OneWorld lounges if traveling internationally (with exceptions - see below - US/Canada doesn't qualify).

Fine print: American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when traveling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

So if you're flying from YVR to GIG (even with connections), you should be good.
But if you're on an AA flight, you'll be in the US departures area. Can you access the BA/CX lounges from there?

Originally Posted by ACA321
Doesn't Alaska have a lounge at YVR AA Club members can use for US departures?
Alaska closed their YVR lounge years ago.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ashill
But if you're on an AA flight, you'll be in the US departures area. Can you access the BA/CX lounges from there?
No - when I was flying CX from YVR to JFK, it was departing at the international terminal, so no pre-clearance, and no AA.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Summarizing: my best shot is with the Priority Pass lounge?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:37 pm

YVR has only one lounge and its a luxury lounge w/ free food; I only fly in the mornings so can only comment on their breakfast which is good.
You will need the "priority pass" card (offered by every Air Travel credit card); yes the card that is 100% useless in the USA is actually a prestigious card in Canada/Europe/World to access their lounges.

For me personaly:
In YVR: I make sure to keep my "priority pass" handy, as there are no other lounges there like Centurion/AdmiralsClub/etc - just one luxury lounge.
In USA: I make sure to keep my "American Express Platinum" handy for the Centurion lounge (its the best). The Airline lounges in the USA are descent like AdmiralsClub; the USA 'priority pass' lounges are garbage don't even think about entering them especially the Dallas one.

Why are USA 'priority pass' lounges horendeous? Because everyone and their cat has that card, with waiting times of 1hour or more to enter a lounge where customer services is bad and the rooms are worse than a McDonald's lounge.

Yet the European/Canadian/WorldWide 'priority pass' lounges are luxurious (especially the ones in the middle east and Asia); that's because the 'priority pass' card is rarer there.

My 2 cents,
perfusionist1982 likes this.

Last edited by jungly; Jan 13, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
What about accessing the CX/BA lounges after the transborder section closes? Am assuming that the late night AA flight to ORD departs from international terminal and if you have non AA OWS/OWE you would have access.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
What about accessing the CX/BA lounges after the transborder section closes? Am assuming that the late night AA flight to ORD departs from international terminal and if you have non AA OWS/OWE you would have access.
These can be accessed, probably now more relevant since AA now has a redeye to ORD. I was able to access the CX lounge when flying YVR-ORD-LHR recently.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:27 pm

Just took the YVR-ORD redeye flight last month (no onward international connection). No AA/OW lounge access, but 2 priority pass lounges to choose from.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dave_261
Just took the YVR-ORD redeye flight last month (no onward international connection). No AA/OW lounge access, but 2 priority pass lounges to choose from.
just to clarify, you mean you didn’t have access because you do not have non AA OWS/OWE?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels

just to clarify, you mean you didn’t have access because you do not have non AA OWS/OWE?
Correct. That said, I don't think the BA or CX lounges are in the US-bound flight terminal. Since they would be in the international terminal, I don't think you could access them if on a US-bound flight.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Isnt there also 1 flight at yyz that departs to US with all the other intl flights. Obviously without preclearance
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dave_261
Correct. That said, I don't think the BA or CX lounges are in the US-bound flight terminal. Since they would be in the international terminal, I don't think you could access them if on a US-bound flight.
specifically talking about flights departing after trans border closed, for example YVR-ORD redeye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.