Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access in Vancouver (YVR)?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Lounge access in Vancouver (YVR)?

I'm flying from YVR to LAX next month. I'm a BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire) member, and I'm curious what the lounge access options are available.

The BA lounge isn't open until later, but the Cathay Pacific Lounges (even better!) are. However, I've read the US departures are separated off from this lounge.

Can anyone confirm what options are available for US bound status passengers?
Old May 9, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
There are no Oneworld lounges in the US departure area of YVR.

I believe you can access the Plaza Premium Lounge in that area if you have Priority Pass or pay the daily fee.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Is there any way to get access the other parts of the terminal and route across to the US departures area?
Old May 9, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Is there any way to get access the other parts of the terminal and route across to the US departures area?
Sorry, no. Once you clear US Customs and Immigration in YVR, you are "locked" into that area and you can't move around.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
To get to the international lounges, you would need a ticket to an international destination (besides the US).

Even if you bought a refundable ticket to some other destination, you would then have to re-enter Canada after visiting the lounge, head to the US departures area, leave Canada again, and then enter the US.

So, even if technically feasible, not worth the prospect of a foul-up with Canadian immigration or the time you would need to waste to refund a ticket and go through Canadian immigration 2 extra times.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Plaza Premium lounge entry can be purchased in advance from their website or upon entry. As noted, it's also a PriorityPass lounge if you're a member.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Actually, there is one way. Travel on CX 888 to JFK , and trek your own way back to LAX
Old May 13, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Actually, there is one way. Travel on CX 888 to JFK , and trek your own way back to LAX
Amazing mileage earning option there

And from LAX, I've the BA268 to LHR

I see nothing wrong with this...

Name:  yVQeCsV.gif
Views: 2783
Size:  16.4 KB
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Does anyone have experience with the late-night YVR-DFW flight? It is being listed as departing from the D gates (ie, not the US "E" preclearance area). I'm hoping to confirm (a) if that is accurate and (b) if that means that the CX lounge should be accessible.

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:43 pm

Don't have an answer for b), but yes, pre-clearance closes at 2030, so all the int'l red-eyes use the D gates.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Does anyone have experience with the late-night YVR-DFW flight? It is being listed as departing from the D gates (ie, not the US "E" preclearance area). I'm hoping to confirm (a) if that is accurate and (b) if that means that the CX lounge should be accessible.

Thanks
This is correct. That flight departs from the International terminal, not US pre-clear, so you are on the side with the BA, CX and nicer Plaza lounges.

CX doesn't open until later though, and BA closes after the A380 to London leaves (I think?).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca

Thanks
Keep in mind though that AA doesn't consider Canada - US an international flight for lounge access. If you're connecting from another country or have status on a different carrier you'll have access but not for AA folks on that single flight.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD
Keep in mind though that AA doesn't consider Canada - US an international flight for lounge access. If you're connecting from another country or have status on a different carrier you'll have access but not for AA folks on that single flight.
Not entirely true.. OP has elite status with BA. The restriction on OneWorld access for North American flights only applies to OW members using AA elite status. Other OW Sapphire and Emerald level elites can use the lounges for trips where an AA elite would NOT be able to use them, based on AA elite status
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by mvoight
Not entirely true.. OP has elite status with BA. The restriction on OneWorld access for North American flights only applies to OW members using AA elite status. Other OW Sapphire and Emerald level elites can use the lounges for trips where an AA elite would NOT be able to use them, based on AA elite status
Yes, That's what I meant by having status with another carrier. It's a jet lagged night after 20 some hours of flying though so maybe didn't state it as clearly as I should have.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD
Yes, That's what I meant by having status with another carrier. It's a jet lagged night after 20 some hours of flying though so maybe didn't state it as clearly as I should have.
I haven't found anything better yet than the CX first class lounge in HKG , and I still remember being the only one in First Class on the flight back to the US in Sept 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.