Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Not the best way of establishing a long-term relationship as an elite member of the airline, IMHO.
Edited: Ah, never mind.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
If AA believes you have done this intentionally, in violation of the terms of carriage (contract between you and AA), they will issue a debit memo to your TA or bill your credit card for the add/collect (additional fare) you should have paid.
In theory perhaps, but in reality the odds of that happening are slim to none, and slim has already left the building.

No airline has the resources to police this. AA knows some people do it and are willing to accept the fact that only a relatively few number know that DCA-DFW is routinely at least 3 times the price of DCA-DFW-LAS... just one of hundreds of examples.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
In theory perhaps, but in reality the odds of that happening are slim to none, and slim has already left the building.

No airline has the resources to police this. AA knows some people do it and are willing to accept the fact that only a relatively few number know that DCA-DFW is routinely at least 3 times the price of DCA-DFW-LAS... just one of hundreds of examples.

Regardless....it's still defrauding the airline.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
It's a matter of opinion. Most of us (perhaps yourself excluded) have, at some time, skipped the last segment of an itinerary without losing sleep over it.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
It's a matter of opinion. Most of us (perhaps yourself excluded) have, at some time, skipped the last segment of an itinerary without losing sleep over it.
Yes, but I wouldn't intentionally book a flight with a destination other than my actual one simply for the purpose of getting a cheaper fare. I've skipped segments only with award tickets (where it doesn't matter, and your departure and return airports don't even have to be the same on a round-trip award).

Plus, if I'm ever going to skip a segment, I always call AA in advance and advise an agent to cancel out the segment (so that AA can sell my seat to somebody else).
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you feel the same way about mileage runs?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Do you feel the same way about mileage runs?
How can booking an advertised fare and flying it as booked be considered fraud? These are not the same thing at all.

Cheers.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but I wouldn't intentionally book a flight with a destination other than my actual one simply for the purpose of getting a cheaper fare. I've skipped segments only with award tickets (where it doesn't matter, and your departure and return airports don't even have to be the same on a round-trip award).

Plus, if I'm ever going to skip a segment, I always call AA in advance and advise an agent to cancel out the segment (so that AA can sell my seat to somebody else).
So let me see if I understand...

The award rules for the mileage you used for your ticket didn't permit the itinerary that you actually wanted to fly, so you purposely skipped a segment to make it work for you?

How is that any different than skipping a segment on a paid ticket?

Using your previously stated logic, it seems to me that you defrauded the airline since their rules for the itinerary you wanted required you to use more miles.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let me see if I understand...

The award rules for the mileage you used for your ticket didn't permit the itinerary that you actually wanted to fly, so you purposely skipped a segment to make it work for you?

How is that any different than skipping a segment on a paid ticket?

Using your previously stated logic, it seems to me that you defrauded the airline since their rules for the itinerary you wanted required you to use more miles.

Nope, not at all. Original itinerary was BGI-MIA-JFK. I decided to fly BGI-MIA and skip MIA-JFK. As you know, an award ticket costs the SAME for either routing. So AA didn't lose any money on me--in fact, it made my BGI-MIA more valuable because the same amount of miles that could pay for BGI-MIA-JFK instead paid for BGI-MIA only.

Award tickets don't have pricing specific to markets. A North America->Caribbean award is valid for departing from ANY city in North America, up to the legal number of connections, to ANY city in the Caribbean. The way AA manages its award revenue is through capacity controls and inventory restrictions. This method, of course, is different from paid tickets (where individual markets determine the fare, and voluntary changing or canceling segments results in repricing). There is no "tariff" calculation for processing award tickets; only taxes/fees.

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
How can booking an advertised fare and flying it as booked be considered fraud? These are not the same thing at all.

Cheers.

Yes, that's how I feel. Mileage runs are not defrauding the airline because you are buying a public fare and flying it. No cheating involved. It's none of the airline's business why you are flying the itinerary.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT

Exactly right. "Plans change." If you don't cancel before flight - the remaining ticket is cancelled and has no value.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Not to deviate onto the ethics of skipping a segment but does anyone else have experience with skipping the domestic segment (BOS -> JFK) coming off international (LHR --> BOS). and still being able to use the return BOS --> LHR international segment home? Is this a fluke if you originate outside the USA?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Not to deviate onto the ethics of skipping a segment but does anyone else have experience with skipping the domestic segment (BOS -> JFK) coming off international (LHR --> BOS). and still being able to use the return BOS --> LHR international segment home? Is this a fluke if you originate outside the USA?
Skipping any segment will cause the cancellation of the rest of your itinerary.
The only time this would work would be skipping the last segment of an itinerary and not checking any luggage... nothing left to be cancelled.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jeff3380
personal experience here:

i had a round trip to NY booked and had to move the flight INTO new york to a day earlier. clearly that's a change, which is fine - got a ticket on another airline that was about 300 cheaper one way than changing my AA ticket. however, wanted to use my AA flight home. Even told the agent that I was willing to pay for the entire round trip ticket and not use the front end - was denied. The back end, after change fee and reprice was about $650, while the entire round trip would have been $275. AA agents basically said that they would consider me a "noshow" even though I was informing them ahead of time and I would lose all segments.

ended up cancelling the flight and used the flight credit, less change fee, on another flight.

makes no sense to me, really, as if I'm telling them ahead of time - they can re-sell my seat even and make the profit! but that's their policy.

Happy Flying!
Would it make any sense to make it cheap to change restricted ticket and still try to sell unrestricted tickets for higher prices? What would be the incentive to buy the ticket, if you can easily change cheaper tickets.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I am also confused by that remark.
I can't quite figure out the fraud in an MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.