Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sohony
thanks
how long is the 'reporting period'?
As he said, it's a trade secret. I don't recommend trying to finesse the system by staying just 1-under the number you guess.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Some airlines are/were notorious for following up on this; e.g. DL with their "fare enforcement unit" who would call all occurences of such travel. And you'd better have a good reason (like being sick and unable to fly) for the missed segment.
I would like DL to investigate my claim of "explosive diarrhea"
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:54 pm

Skipping last segment, will you still get credit for flown segments?

If I was to skip the last segment of a flight, will AA still count the segments I flew earlier that week and earlier in the day? Does this still apply if I was to skip the flight that I was put on to when I was bumped off my original flight? I'm thinking of add ORD-MCI to my return flight next Friday since coach usually is sold out. I'll just taking any bumps they offer and just skip it since ORD is my destination. But I need all the segments I can get.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Yes, you should get credit for the flown segments ( but not of course for the skipped segement.)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:42 pm

Logic being that maybe you felt sick and could not fly...or your plans changed at the last second, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:27 pm

It sounds like I wouldn't initially get the credit, but I would have to call to explain to the csr why I didn't take the last segment. Did I get that right? Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:28 pm

No, you should get it automatically. AAaLot was describing the logic as to why AA lets it happen automatically.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Yes, you should get credit for the flown segments ( but not of course for the skipped segement.)
There's no should involved. You will get credit for the segments you fly.

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Logic being that maybe you felt sick and could not fly...or your plans changed at the last second, etc.
No, the logic is that AA awards miles for segments flown. Period.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Actually, one of our US Supreme Court Justices opined in the WSJ a few years ago on this subject personally, the gist of which is not only will you get credit, but you are fully, legally, and otherwise entitled to such activity/credit.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Lightbulb

No..and if you happened to get caught not taking your flight this is known as "Hidden City" ticketing..you can have your AAdantage account terminated and miles forfited..
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
No..and if you happened to get caught not taking your flight this is known as "Hidden City" ticketing..you can have your AAdantage account terminated and miles forfited..
This information regarding earning miles is incorrect. American's systems are designed so that you will get credit for flights flown, regardless of whether or not part of your itinerary gets canceled or not used.

You're definition of "Hidden City" or "throw away ticketing" is, however, correct -- it is a violation of Americans Conditions of Carriage to buy a ticket for the express purpose of bypassing expensive fares (such as buying a cheaper -ORD-MKE rather than -ORD to save money).

That being said, in practice, things work much differently. In reality, unless you do this a ridiculous amount of times, leading to a red flag, you're not going to hear any problems from AA. The fact is that there are several reasons -- mentioned earlier in this thread--that you would not use a final segment of an itinerary. American has no way of knowing whether or not you have a valid reason, which is why only those who do it frequently run into trouble.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I miss the last segment at least once a year. Usually because I need to go to City X instead of returning home. Its almost always cheaper to buy a ticket to City X with a return home than to change the last segment on a restricted ticket.

I've never been questioned and have always received credit for the segments flown.

I do think AA has some of the most sophisticated fraud detection systems in the business but occasionally missing the last segment isn't going to raise any red flags.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:17 pm

Skipping last leg on international one-way

If I book a one-way GRU-JFK/LGA-YYZ but only fly the GRU-JFK sector would that raise any red flags?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by erik123
If I book a one-way GRU-JFK/LGA-YYZ but only fly the GRU-JFK sector would that raise any red flags?
NO
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
NO
Would you call AA to cancel the last leg (just to be nice).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.