Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Basic Economy fares now coming Jan 2017 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Basic Economy" Fares Delayed, now January 2017

This obsolete thread is now archived and closed. For the current thread, please see American Airlines' Basic Economy Fare Feb 2017 (Master thd)

Basic Economy fares, to have been introduced in the second half of 2016, have been announced as coming January 2017, once the holiday season demand has died down. This is stated in AA's most recent earnings calls. There has been no official announcement of what AA Basic Economy fares will entail, but this is what Delta does:

"Delta introduced fares without seat assignments and with no changes permitted and no elite upgrades to compete against Spirit Airlines — the idea was to offer less, something closer to what Spirit offers, when matching price … and encourage customers to spend more to get more." (Gary Leff - View from the Wing, 22 Oct 2016. Link.)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Basic Economy fares now coming Jan 2017 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sant
Would anyone be surprised if the current lower Economy fares becomes the new "Basic Economy" fares? Essentially, those Y passengers pay the same money but get even less in return.
I would be, yes.

Originally Posted by bse118
What I am waiting for is what markets and how prevalent...
THOSE are the real questions.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
Well, I'm going to qualify this year for Exp, but how this rolls out will be a big difference on my plans in 2017.

If the no-upgrade fares are more than $200 less than the upgradable fares (round trip), then I will likely move on. Hello, Jet Blue.
On a ~600 mile route (ATL-DTW specifically) DL charges $30 more R/T for a V fare (seat assignment, changeable with a fee, upgrade eligible) than it does for a Basic Economy E fare. We can expect AA to have some sort of distance-based differential algorithm. It might vary by city pair based on primary competing low cost carrier - biggest for markets where Frontier and Spirit - charging for everything - are setting the low price benchmark.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fanger
Is there much discussion on how "Basic Economy" fares affect business travellers? Do the Delta folks end up not getting any miles or crappy seats because the fare difference between basic and the next level up is not allowed?
Every company would probably look at this differently, but I would think that the complete lack of ability to make changes (use it or lose it) make this very unpalatable for businesses.

The price differential between refundable fares and nonrefundable fares has been sufficiently large that in most cases it's more cost-effective to purchase the nonrefundable and incur a few change fees if necessary.

But I suspect the difference between basic and regular economy fares won't be big enough - and having to buy a new ticket outright when a meeting is changed or runs late will *very* quickly eat up any potential savings.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Every company would probably look at this differently, but I would think that the complete lack of ability to make changes (use it or lose it) make this very unpalatable for businesses.

The price differential between refundable fares and nonrefundable fares has been sufficiently large that in most cases it's more cost-effective to purchase the nonrefundable and incur a few change fees if necessary.

But I suspect the difference between basic and regular economy fares won't be big enough - and having to buy a new ticket outright when a meeting is changed or runs late will *very* quickly eat up any potential savings.
I don't travel much for work, once or twice a year maybe, but I hear a lot of people have to take the lowest airfare. We have $100 of discretion, though I don't know if they do much auditing. But given how poor the various corporate booking partners' websites we've used over the years I wonder how well they do at distinguishing between these new lowest fares and the slightly higher "traditional" lowest economy.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I don't travel much for work, once or twice a year maybe, but I hear a lot of people have to take the lowest airfare. We have $100 of discretion, though I don't know if they do much auditing. But given how poor the various corporate booking partners' websites we've used over the years I wonder how well they do at distinguishing between these new lowest fares and the slightly higher "traditional" lowest economy.
At my company, the policy is lowest reasonable economy.

I think a very convincing argument can be made that these fares aren't reasonable from a business travel standpoint (and I say that even though I can count the number of times I've changed a ticket on less than two hands...)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Depends on how likely need to make changes and how much the fare is

On a the outbound of a $300 ticket, having a $200 change fee means that there is only $100 to use towards the new fare. Paying $270 with no flexibility only leaves the company $70 worse off. If changes are only done to about 20% of tickets , it is still better to eat the cost than pay extra

Busineses elsewhere have coped with non changeable tickets without much difficulty
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

I think a very convincing argument can be made that these fares aren't reasonable from a business travel standpoint (and I say that even though I can count the number of times I've changed a ticket on less than two hands...)
if it's just no upgrade, that would be considered reasonable I suspect.
No advance seat assignment would not be considered reasonable.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It's one thing if only the O fare bucket became basic economy But we've seen that the YUP fares come from all fare buckets, so what makes us think the basic economy won't become the base code and the "benefits" become the /WNUP type designator? They already have the structure with the "Choice Essential" and "Choice Plus" fares, all they have to do is switch the benefits around.

The other question is whether corporate contracts will waive the basic economy fares somehow in their fare rules, so that employees don't find ways to game the system.

I've been fortunate to make EXP the last two years based on some unusual work travel circumstances. I'm currently on pace to hit about 55k EQM of work travel for the year plus 10k for the credit card, but I haven't bought a leisure ticket yet. EXP isn't going to do me a lot of good if I have to pay a surcharge to use the benefits each time, so I'm waiting to see how the next couple of months play out.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

As stated, this change will almost certainly hurt business travelers the most (at least those whose companies insist on the lowest available fare). The thought of >100k miles a year with no upgrades, advance seat assignments, or other standard perks seems like a change that would be difficult to tolerate.

I typically fund most personal and business travel myself, though (with some exceptions), so my main concern is whether standard fares will increase (no indication of that so far) and whether I'll have to buy into a higher fare bucket for only the possibility of an upgrade (no way am I paying $1000 for something like 'K' or 'H' when $200 in 'O' or 'Q' will do). OTOH, if standard fares don't increase, and the choice is between $100 for no frills and $200 with all the perks (and perhaps better upgrade success), then I'll probably stand pat.

If I feel I'm overpaying simply for a small shot at an upgrade (one of the main reasons I haven't considered moving to DL), I'll probably just start buying discount F/J from the lowest bidder with the best product.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I can't wait to see AA roll out the IT upgrades necessary to sell different fare class options via the website. That's been how many years in the making?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm not opposed to paying for upgrades, but what I don't like is having to pay more for my ticket for a chance at an upgrade.
I'd be happier with a system that prioritized upgrades by fare paid but allowed all fares to upgrade.
But whatcha gonna do? Consolidation has reduced the number of alternatives.
- Actually, my % of upgrades already decreased this year. Are you flying the new 319 with 8 F seat on a popular route? Or, perhaps, trying to get to HI on an old and crappy USAir metal? Then your chances for upgrades are already miserable even if you are an EXP.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by metallo
As stated, this change will almost certainly hurt business travelers the most (at least those whose companies insist on the lowest available fare).
Sample of 1 here, but my company had a policy that stated we must book the lowest available fare (unless that fare is first class, then we book the higher main cabin fare ) however, that changed when DL rolled out their basic economy fares. The policy is now the lowest "changeable" fare, so if the ticket does not allow changes with a fee, then we cannot book it. For the DL folks on my team, the basic economy fares are not even displayed on the booking engine. Hopefully this will be true for most, but who knows.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Like has already been discussed a bit, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's an actual tier of prices lower than what currently exists and I can keep paying similar to what I do now and receive all my benefits. As long as that's the case, then I'd assume it could mean less upgrade competition (even if it's just a bit less).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Sample of 1 here, but my company had a policy that stated we must book the lowest available fare (unless that fare is first class, then we book the higher main cabin fare ) however, that changed when DL rolled out their basic economy fares. The policy is now the lowest "changeable" fare, so if the ticket does not allow changes with a fee, then we cannot book it. For the DL folks on my team, the basic economy fares are not even displayed on the booking engine. Hopefully this will be true for most, but who knows.
Which is exactly the outcome that DL wants (segmentation).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The real question is whether these new fares will be lower than the current lowest ones (Os and the like) or they'll be even lower with new codes? AC pulled this a couple of years ago, which kept their then lowest fare categories but removed elite benefits (free seat selection, upgrade options, preferred seating, etc.), thus making the lowest full benefit fares 50%+ higher. Of course on international routes, UA has long had this distinction for upgrades but not other elite benefits. (And IIRC DL created a new category of low fares that had no elite benefits domestically.)
That certainly is the question. I expect that AA will match Spirit, Frontier, and DL basic economy fares with their own basic economy equivalent but will match WN, B6, VX, AS, UA and regular DL fares with regular economy fares.

But I do expect the days of Sprit-matching rock bottom fares (like the $96 day trip round trip I had on PHL-ATL recently -- DL didn't match that fare at all) in regular, upgradable, advance-seat-assignment economy are over.

Originally Posted by 869
I can't wait to see AA roll out the IT upgrades necessary to sell different fare class options via the website. That's been how many years in the making?
Huh? AA currently makes different fare class options available via the web site. Specifically the various buy-up options on economy fares (Choice Essential and Choice Plus). This would just be one more column (possibly at the expense of one of those two.)

Is there much discussion on how "Basic Economy" fares affect business travellers? Do the Delta folks end up not getting any miles or crappy seats because the fare difference between basic and the next level up is not allowed?
I'd expect these to vary closely match what DL does. DL E fares typically have a 21 day advance purchase and Saturday night stay requirement, which (especially for the domestic markets these have been in so far) limits the cases in which they'd even be an option to most business travelers, even if corporate policy is strictly lowest fare. If AA and/or DL starts having these fares in long haul markets

But maybe AA won't require a Saturday night stay for Spirit-matching fares, in which case this could affect business travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.