Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Basic Economy fares now coming Jan 2017 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Basic Economy" Fares Delayed, now January 2017

This obsolete thread is now archived and closed. For the current thread, please see American Airlines' Basic Economy Fare Feb 2017 (Master thd)

Basic Economy fares, to have been introduced in the second half of 2016, have been announced as coming January 2017, once the holiday season demand has died down. This is stated in AA's most recent earnings calls. There has been no official announcement of what AA Basic Economy fares will entail, but this is what Delta does:

"Delta introduced fares without seat assignments and with no changes permitted and no elite upgrades to compete against Spirit Airlines — the idea was to offer less, something closer to what Spirit offers, when matching price … and encourage customers to spend more to get more." (Gary Leff - View from the Wing, 22 Oct 2016. Link.)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Doug Parker announced the previously mentioned AA "basic economy" fares today at the JP Morgan aviation & transportation conference.

These "bare bones" fares will not be upgradable.

Gary Leff's tweeted here.

Now blogged here.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The real question is whether these new fares will be lower than the current lowest ones (Os and the like) or they'll be even lower with new codes? AC pulled this a couple of years ago, which kept their then lowest fare categories but removed elite benefits (free seat selection, upgrade options, preferred seating, etc.), thus making the lowest full benefit fares 50%+ higher. Of course on international routes, UA has long had this distinction for upgrades but not other elite benefits. (And IIRC DL created a new category of low fares that had no elite benefits domestically.)

Guess this will be yet another shoe to drop later this year (how many feet has AA got?), marking the end of the world as we knew it!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The real question is whether these new fares will be lower than the current lowest ones (Os and the like) or they'll be even lower with new codes? AC pulled this a couple of years ago, which kept their then lowest fare categories but removed elite benefits (free seat selection, upgrade options, preferred seating, etc.), thus making the lowest full benefit fares 50%+ higher. Of course on international routes, UA has long had this distinction for upgrades but not other elite benefits. (And IIRC DL created a new category of low fares that had no elite benefits domestically.)

Guess this will be yet another shoe to drop later this year (how many feet has AA got?), marking the end of the world as we knew it!
It's feeling like

Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Oyyyyy
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:14 pm

Ugh. Worst ever.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Then remember this thread as well:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ls-coming.html
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:21 pm

Seems perfectly appropriate to me. It's American Airlines, and what's more American than charging more while delivering less?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Anymore of this and I am jumping to Southwest out of Love field. (Hope you are reading this Douggie!). Anyone got a email address for the big guy? I saw we all start spamming his inbox with outrage.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EP
Definitely not a surprise. Can't see how AAs execution would be materially different than DL.

Everyone is fixated on this. What I would be watching for is AA doing a PEY -- or something similar -- DOMESTICALLY and only allowing y to PEY
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not opposed to paying for upgrades, but what I don't like is having to pay more for my ticket for a chance at an upgrade.

I'd be happier with a system that prioritized upgrades by fare paid but allowed all fares to upgrade.

But whatcha gonna do? Consolidation has reduced the number of alternatives.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Well, I'm going to qualify this year for Exp, but how this rolls out will be a big difference on my plans in 2017.

If the no-upgrade fares are more than $200 less than the upgradable fares (round trip), then I will likely move on. Hello, Jet Blue.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Is there much discussion on how "Basic Economy" fares affect business travellers? Do the Delta folks end up not getting any miles or crappy seats because the fare difference between basic and the next level up is not allowed?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Would anyone be surprised if the current lower Economy fares becomes the new "Basic Economy" fares? Essentially, those Y passengers pay the same money but get even less in return.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Sant
Would anyone be surprised if the current lower Economy fares becomes the new "Basic Economy" fares? Essentially, those Y passengers pay the same money but get even less in return.
Yes, I would be surprised. It wouldn't make AA more competitive with LCCs. It would hurt the value proposition for higher fares.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Not sure there's really much news here. We knew these were coming, and that they are not upgradable is hardly surprising.

What I am waiting for is what markets and how prevalent...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.