Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Basic Economy fares now coming Jan 2017 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Basic Economy" Fares Delayed, now January 2017

This obsolete thread is now archived and closed. For the current thread, please see American Airlines' Basic Economy Fare Feb 2017 (Master thd)

Basic Economy fares, to have been introduced in the second half of 2016, have been announced as coming January 2017, once the holiday season demand has died down. This is stated in AA's most recent earnings calls. There has been no official announcement of what AA Basic Economy fares will entail, but this is what Delta does:

"Delta introduced fares without seat assignments and with no changes permitted and no elite upgrades to compete against Spirit Airlines — the idea was to offer less, something closer to what Spirit offers, when matching price … and encourage customers to spend more to get more." (Gary Leff - View from the Wing, 22 Oct 2016. Link.)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Basic Economy fares now coming Jan 2017 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
"E fares" meaning E inventory or actual basic economy fares?

E is currently used for employee positive-space travel and its availability also plays a role in whether Same-Day Flight Change will be offered, but I don't believe there are any plans to repurpose it as a basic economy fare bucket.
Oh, ok, I am not sure, I am just seeing E7 and wasn't sure what it is about, I don't remember seeing it often. Is this supposed to be visible on EF?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Samsterf
Free yourself of slavery. If Southwest has a nonstop, unless it is at an inconvenient time, fly it. Miles, especially Sky Pesos, but also other airlines are no longer worth chasing after.
Yeah unless you want to experience the joys of an international first class lounge such as the lovely CX ones in HKG, or the QF first lounges in LAX/SYD. Perks that come with Oneworld Emerald status or buying a $18,000 first class ticket...your choice. Nevermind the whole other load of elite benefits....But sure have fun on southwest and save your mockery of those who still get rewarded for loyalty.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does CX have any domestic flights? The lounges are nice, but if not often going to HKG, is it worth paying lots extra for rare access to such a lounge

Whilst enough people are prepared to pay higher fares, then the airline will charge them

Being loyal to best value offering works well for many. e.g. next week: for paying less than QF economy I can get NZ premium economy. doesn't make sense to pay more for less to me
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Does CX have any domestic flights? The lounges are nice, but if not often going to HKG, is it worth paying lots extra for rare access to such a lounge

Whilst enough people are prepared to pay higher fares, then the airline will charge them

Being loyal to best value offering works well for many. e.g. next week: for paying less than QF economy I can get NZ premium economy. doesn't make sense to pay more for less to me
CX generally has pretty good Premium Economy fares. Even west coast to Australia, I'd pick CX. That lets me run up nearly 40,000 Elite Miles on one trip.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
CX generally has pretty good Premium Economy fares. Even west coast to Australia, I'd pick CX. That lets me run up nearly 40,000 Elite Miles on one trip.
The comment about CX was in response to someone posting about booking SouthWest; CX is not a competitor on such a route.

CX can be a good option for some journeys ( though no way I would go via HKG to get to Australia ) but not really a choice for a domestic US flight

This would just go into taking the best option for a specific journey
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
... is it worth paying lots extra for rare access to such a lounge

Being loyal to best value offering works well for many....
If, on balance, you are paying significantly more to stay within one alliance, then you are, IME, doing it wrong.

As an example I've flown 4 trips from the US to the EU or Asia this year. All of them were under $1000 all in, 3 of them were on AA, all 3 of those I upgraded to business with SWUs (pending one leg of the trip I am on now), the fourth was AA marketed, BA operated. My domestic trips, all purchased in Y, were for the most part the same price or less than competitors on the routes. And you can see my upgrade success below.

I'm getting pretty good value staying mostly on AA, thank you very much.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Yeah unless you want to experience the joys of an international first class lounge such as the lovely CX ones in HKG, or the QF first lounges in LAX/SYD. Perks that come with Oneworld Emerald status or buying a $18,000 first class ticket...your choice. Nevermind the whole other load of elite benefits....But sure have fun on southwest and save your mockery of those who still get rewarded for loyalty.
Exactly. Those lounges are one of my favorite things about a trip. And on top of all the benefits, without the baggage benefit it would cost me around $80,000/year just in baggage fees & overweight/oversize fees.

Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Yes! Why not pay just a few hundred extra (in most cases) for PEY from YVR to Australia over Y from LAX, especially when you can earn DOUBLE the EQM flying that route?! I totally get that most people wouldn't want the extra travel hours going through HKG to get to Australia, but I don't mind it at all for the benefits. Especially when I can schedule a 10+ hour layover to explore the beauty of Hong Kong.

Last edited by thecurtisw; Nov 17, 2016 at 8:19 am Reason: addition
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
And remember, factoring loyalty on a flight by flight basis will skew the numbers against any program. However, if you take in account a year or more, there is a good chance being loyal to a program will have several benefits in service and cost savings.

What I've been reading is people picking at individual components and not considering the whole package. Yes, it's frustrating when something that was free now has a charge or limitation. I see that all part of the business cycle. Entice the customer into the web with services/products and hope they indulge in the more expensive offerings (sometimes voluntarily, sometimes not).
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Samsterf
Free yourself of slavery. If Southwest has a nonstop, unless it is at an inconvenient time, fly it. Miles, especially Sky Pesos, but also other airlines are no longer worth chasing after.
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
As an EXP I found myself many times flying circuitous routes in economy to take advantage of benefits.
Those were the times when I planned a 4 hour layover in LHR to "enjoy" the first class lounge and "take a shower".

Now I just fly non-stop home or choose a layover at a more efficient airport.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
If, on balance, you are paying significantly more to stay within one alliance, then you are, IME, doing it wrong.

As an example I've flown 4 trips from the US to the EU or Asia this year. All of them were under $1000 all in, 3 of them were on AA, all 3 of those I upgraded to business with SWUs (pending one leg of the trip I am on now), the fourth was AA marketed, BA operated. My domestic trips, all purchased in Y, were for the most part the same price or less than competitors on the routes. And you can see my upgrade success below.

I'm getting pretty good value staying mostly on AA, thank you very much.
Maybe you're lucky. The odds that one's airline/alliance of choice offers the lowest fare on every single flight a person takes that year is probably pretty small. Maybe even close to zero. Therefore, one has a choice:
  1. Stick to the airline/alliance of choice and necessarily pay more than the lowest fare, at least some of the time, or
  2. Just go with the lowest fare.
For someone who flies enough to earn, say, just over 50,000 EQMs, choice #2 means probably only qualifying for Gold. Maybe, best case, low level elite on two alliances. If that passenger wants Platinum, he'll have to make choice #1, and it will cost him extra.
For someone who flies, enough to earn, say, 75,000 EQMs, well, there's a lot more flexibility built in for her to go with choice #2 and still earn Platinum.

I don't think you can say someone is "doing it wrong" based on their personal situation. Sounds like you're fortunate enough to have enough slack in your flying that you can still meet the elite qualification hurdle without directing 100% of your travel on AA/OneWorld.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe you're lucky. The odds that one's airline/alliance of choice offers the lowest fare on every single flight a person takes that year is probably pretty small. Maybe even close to zero.
I didn't claim every single flight is cheaper. I said "on balance". Big difference. One flight may be more expensive, the next the same, the third cheaper than the competition.

Lowest cost and best value are not the same thing.

And most of the time for domestic flights, economy, purchased in advance, prices are pretty similar across carriers.

I am not flying to chase status. I am flying for work, right at about 100-110K miles per year. I evaluate value based on that year's worth of prospective flying, not on a per flight basis. And my company has a lowest reasonable Y travel policy. If sticking with a single alliance was significantly more expensive, I wouldn't be able to do it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
If sticking with a single alliance was significantly more expensive, I wouldn't be able to do it.
I would add:

If sticking with a single alliance was significantly more expensive or less convenient, I wouldn't be able to do it.
Which happens to be the case for some (including myself).
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by akcae
If your employer books you on one of these fares, they're basically taking the risk of completely throwing away the value of the return leg and eating the cost of a last-minute (likely full-fare) ticket.
If you're in a business where the cost would be billed to a government grant, then this could have an even larger impact. Unused tickets can't be charged to the grant, whereas change fees can, as long as there is some justification that they benefit the funded project. It wouldn't surprise me if some other kinds of contracts work the same way.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
It looks like AA's website is beginning to reflect the upcoming rollout of the BE fares. Whenever you run a flight search, a hyperlink now appears at the top of the search results to run a "Product Comparison." "Main Cabin" is described as the "Best value in the Main Cabin," and includes eligibility for upgrades.

This obsolete thread is now archived and closed. For the current thread, please see American Airlines' Basic Economy Fare Feb 2017 (Master thd)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 18, 2017 at 9:27 pm Reason: Insert moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.