Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX Terminal 4 - TBIT secure airside connector to be built

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAX Terminal 4 - TBIT secure airside connector to be built

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 9:54 am

LAX Terminal Map link

I searched for your exact verbiage and found this link. I think they are referring to the buses as a "secure connection," not an actual tunnel, as they use different words to describe tunnels connecting the other terminals.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
and this is on wikepedia under terminal connections. " Terminal 4 was previously connected via this underground walkway but it is currently closed off.

I guess thats a no for me. boo hoo
Old May 23, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I flew into LAX last Wednesday and I could swear the FA said you had to exit terminal, turn left and walk to TB Int'l Terminal.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:13 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Qantas operates a shuttle bus to TBIT from T4, but one needs a Qantas BP.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Spiff
Qantas operates a shuttle bus to TBIT from T4, but one needs a Qantas BP.
Likewise when I fly DL I can't take the Shuttle bus to use the AC in T4. This means I usually spring for the $39 one day pass at the very crowded SC.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Likewise when I fly DL I can't take the Shuttle bus to use the AC in T4. This means I usually spring for the $39 one day pass at the very crowded SC.
In either case, a fully-refundable ticket may be cheaper.

If you walk to T6, no one will bat an eye if you are at the Alaska terminal and need to catch the bus to T4...
Old May 23, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP-3MM; WN A+; Alaska MVP-G; Marriott Plat Premier
You may have seen something about the "planned" connector tunnel between T4 and TBIT once the major upgrade to TBIT is completed. The plan is to have an air side link from T4 to TBIT that will allow domestic arrivals to T4 to proceed directly to their international connection in TBIT. AA also has the rights to up to 4 gates in TBIT once the upgrades are completed, and the OneWorld partners will all be located at that same end of TBIT.
Old May 23, 2012, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by trekker954
and this is on wikepedia under terminal connections. " Terminal 4 was previously connected via this underground walkway but it is currently closed off.

I guess thats a no for me. boo hoo
That tunnel connects T4 with T5. A secure connection between T4 and TBIT will be built as part of the TBIT remodeling project currently underway.
Old May 23, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I think another part of the confusion may be that there is a working tunnel, but it's only to allow deplaning TBIT pax to proceed to T4 immigration without exiting the building, and allowing them to end up where they need to be to re-clear security at T4.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
There is an underground tunnel that connects all the terminal buildings. One can even access DL T5 and AS T6 via the underground tunnel. Unfortunately, it's off limits due to stupid "securitah" reasons.

OTOH, a new T4 to TBIT airside connector at LAX is actually being built right now. Here's a FT thread about it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...connector.html
Old May 23, 2012, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
There is an underground tunnel that connects all the terminal buildings.
Only the terminals on the south side (T4 - T7/8). There are no tunnels connecting terminals 1 - 3 or TBIT.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:58 pm

OTOH, a new T4 to TBIT airside connector at LAX is actually being built right now. Here's a FT thread about it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...connector.html
The link in that thread no longer works.

Here is an update from the April 30, 2012 status report (link to PDF):
WORK IN PROGRESS - Bradley West Terminal 4 Connector (M401A)

Project Description
The project consists of the design and construction of a CAL Green certified, multi-use, multi-level facility including a Checked Baggage Inspection System (CBIS), South Matrix Interline Baggage Transfer facility, five lane Passenger Security Screening Check Point (SSCP), South Terminals Passenger Busport, Upper Level World Way Public Plaza, and a Secure Passenger connection between Tom Bradley International terminal (TBIT) and terminal 4. The connector building will extend from the south face of the Fifth Floor of TBIT and Terminal 4. The connector building will extend from the south face of the Fifth Floor of TBIT to the west exterior face of Terminal 4.

Issues
The solicitation process for a Design-Build contractor is being developed.

Last edited by TWA884; May 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm Reason: Fix link
Old May 23, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wink

Unfortunately, it's off limits due to stupid "securitah" reasons.
From what I read on this forum or a.net(can't remember), the TSA has nothing to do with closing off T4 from T5-T4. It's DL that is acting childish, and demanding that the T4-T5 doors remain shut.

However, I prefer it that way. Once the connector is built, T4 will essentially become part of TBIT thus allowing AA and OW to function as one. While DL and its partners will have to use a bus or have pax exit/reenter security.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by TWA884
The link in that thread no longer works...
Thanks for the updated link.

Also, I can't wait when the new TBIT opens:
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...May%202012.pdf

With T4 and TBIT (South) to be connected, AA and OW will have a big upper edge at LAX against others. Hope to finally making LAX a place of pride than a place of shame.

Now if they can get the darn rail to the airport....
Old May 23, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
From what I read on this forum or a.net(can't remember), the TSA has nothing to do with closing off T4 from T5-T4. It's DL that is acting childish, and demanding that the T4-T5 doors remain shut.

However, I prefer it that way. Once the connector is built, T4 will essentially become part of TBIT thus allowing AA and OW to function as one. While DL and its partners will have to use a bus or have pax exit/reenter security.
At which point, totally in its own interest, DL will remove its demand that the T4-T5 doors remain shut, wanting pass-through access to TBIT.

Except that AA will then turn around and itself demand those doors to remain shut, just to spite DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.