Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAX Terminal 4 - TBIT secure airside connector to be built

Old Jun 28, 11, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott

One of the staff today told me they AA is getting four gates at the new International terminal for their LAX expansion to Asia including Hong Kong. great news even if a couple of years away.
Old Jun 28, 11, 7:55 am
Original Poster

I am pretty certain the four gates are for sure. not sure that they can really announce destinations yet though of course.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 15 at 8:41 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I wonder what destinations they could be, and I do hope these new flights will be well timed with the SFO-LAX flights.

I am hoping to see BKK, DEL, HKG, and TPE as destinations.

Also, I wonder how UA will respond. They matched AA for the Shanghai flight.
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:22 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by DaveInSFV View Post
One of the staff today told me they AA is getting four gates at the new International terminal for their LAX expansion to Asia including Hong Kong. great news even if a couple of years away.
As part of the TBIT expansion plan, which cost AA their old RJ terminal, they will be given preferential use of 4 gates in the TBIT presuming a certain number of new gates are built.

I do believe however, that these gates will allow domestic as well as international operation for AA -- so there may not be a tied-in expansion of flights to Asia.

Greg
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks, Dave, for the followup comment.

This may have some impact on 1) T4 - TBIT connection tunnel and security; 2) Flagship Lounge in T4 - and definitely if QF operates all flight s from the TBIT and new AA gates.

I am sure others know more than I about these issues, and it will be gratifying to see them here.
Old Jun 28, 11, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Exp 1.3mm, HH Dia, SPG Gld, IHG Plt
Well that would certainly fit with previous rumors from Horton about flying to HKG (link) and AA's 777-300ER orders for delivery in 2012-13 (link). And flights to HKG and/or SYD would connect AA to 2 more major OW Asian hubs similar to what they did with HEL and BUD in Europe.
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
The movement of several check-in counters to the east side of T4 is somewhat related to this. AFAIK, T4-TBIT connector construction is scheduled to begin soon.
Old Jun 28, 11, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
The movement of several check-in counters to the east side of T4 is somewhat related to this. AFAIK, T4-TBIT connector construction is scheduled to begin soon.
I was actually at the meeting when that presentation was given (for other purposes) but my understanding was that these plans are still very tentative. Some of the commissioners were puzzled as to how a simple terminal link turned into a $100M+ project. The commissioners want a more substantial financial commitment from AA due to the fact that the project primarily benefits them and would contain AA baggage facilities, offices, etc. Obviously, AA does not like throwing down money even if it's a good investment.

Nonetheless, I would say that it's likely they're approved but I wouldn't count on seeing this any time soon.
Old Jun 28, 11, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
I am certainly not the insider for AA, but remember how much time it really takes to announce LAX-PVG non-stop to actually see it in the air? Exactly six months. This wouldn't take long, and the long-anticipated LAX-HKG/TPE/PEK(?!?) has to be done. Those routes are undoubtedly more profitable than the domestic routes.

I do believe even with 777-300ER is really pushing the limits to DEL (8013 miles), so I doubt if they would do it. At least they need to route it to HKG to provide better connectivity.

ORD-HEL, unfortunately is only seasonal.

Originally Posted by All American Flyer View Post
I was actually at the meeting when that presentation was given (for other purposes) but my understanding was that these plans are still very tentative. Some of the commissioners were puzzled as to how a simple terminal link turned into a $100M+ project. The commissioners want a more substantial financial commitment from AA due to the fact that the project primarily benefits them and would contain AA baggage facilities, offices, etc. Obviously, AA does not like throwing down money even if it's a good investment.

Nonetheless, I would say that it's likely they're approved but I wouldn't count on seeing this any time soon.
Old Jun 28, 11, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select

If I were the AA representative at LAX, I'd be fighting tooth and nail to not put in a single dime to fund this project as AA has already made significant sacrifices of moving the AE nest all the way beyond the Sepulveda tunnel for the TBIT West project. Not to mention that they have to eat up the cost to shuttle passengers back and forth from T4 to that new Eagle's nest on a very inefficient mode of transport.

The only way I would agree to put up some of the construction cost is if:

A. LAWA guarantees that the entire south end of TBIT to be reserved solely for use by OW carriers (AB, BA, CX, IB, JL, LA, MH and QF) so as to give a huge advantage of smoothly connecting between AA and OW carriers in co-located area of LAX.

B. Re-open the airside tunnel to T5 to connect with AS flights that's going to be moved over there.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jun 28, 11 at 6:38 pm
Old Jun 28, 11, 6:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
We might get confirmation as to what the first 77W route is by the end of summer.mif I were a betting man, I'd say DFWHKG, but that's based just on my opinion.

I also do expect AA to add a third trans-Pac route from LAX next year, and I'd guess it would be Beijing. Maybe Osaka or Nagoya if the 763 pilot contracts allow it (both are bordering on the 12h pilot limit).

The four gates at TBIT need to be triggered by construction of a certain amount of gates at TBIT (I forget what number that is), but AA seems pretty confident that the clause will be triggered.

Also, a massive remodel of Terminal 4 has begun and will last a year, which will cause some gate issues for the next year.
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
I do believe even with 777-300ER is really pushing the limits to DEL (8013 miles)....
LAX -> BOM (8700+ miles) is within the range of the 77W per Boeing. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777...7_range_la.pdf So, why wouldn't DEL?
Old Jun 28, 11, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Plat
It does not hurt to dream a little of a GIG/GRU-LAX route for one of these gates.
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carioca View Post
It does not hurt to dream a little of a GIG/GRU-LAX route for one of these gates.
I dream of both!
Old Jun 29, 11, 2:22 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
I was actually at the meeting when that presentation was given (for other purposes) but my understanding was that these plans are still very tentative.

A few more notes: LAWA agreed in principal to build the connector when the TBIT West project was first proposed. So, something is going to be built. The question now is what.

The concept has evolved dramatically since it was first proposed. What was supposed to be a simple, secured connector between T4 and TBIT has turned into an entire building with an additional security checkpoint, a busport for passengers making connections to other airlines, and an inline baggage facility for AA.

Seventy-five percent of the costs of the inline-baggage facility will be covered by the TSA. The rest of the costs (minus the connector which LAWA always intended to build) are subject to negotiation. AA and LAWA are currently negotiating the matter.

There's a lot of good that can come of this for all parties involved. For LAWA, there is the possibility of doing something with connecting passengers, rather than dumping them on the sidewalk and telling them to walk to their connecting flights. For AA, there is even the possibility of using the new security checkpoint to relieve the congestion at the T4 security checkpoint.

As to the timeframe, from what I have heard, part of the connector will go through the existing TBIT to get to the new great hall area of TBIT West. That space won't become available for construction until August 2013, when the current occupants are relocated.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The four gates at TBIT need to be triggered by construction of a certain amount of gates at TBIT (I forget what number that is), but AA seems pretty confident that the clause will be triggered.
The number is 17. As currently configured, TBIT West will have 18 gates. It was originally designed to have 19 gates. The space for the 19th gate will be there, should LAWA choose to add it later.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: