Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Miles to Upgrade from Full Coach

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I'm not quite sure of the process. Do I have to pay for a full fare coach and be ticketed before calling AA CS to use miles to upgrade to Business? I don't want to use the requisite miles for an Int'l J ticket but am willing to buy a full fare coach and then use miles to upgrade. Can a AA CS rep upgrade my full fare coach ticket over the phone using my AA miles? I presume that all full fare coach tickets are fully refundable with no fees. Thanks for any input you can provide.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
You have to pay for an upgradeable fare (I thought B were included as well as Y but they are on the way out I hear) and there has to be seats available for upgrade which there rarely are.

A D or I ticket which is restricted business might even be less than full fare coach.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

A D or I ticket which is restricted business might even be less than full fare coach.
This is probably a much more economical way of flying in Business or First.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:53 pm
tyr

If you're looking to upgrade an international trip to business I suggest doing miles+copay.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...rade-chart.jsp

Pretty much any paid economy fare can be upgraded, even 'O'. You can pay full 'Y' and then upgrade but, depending on your trip, that'll save you only 10k miles and $350, which will be way less than the difference between the discount and full fares. Unless you need full flexibility I don't see much advantage in paying full Y.

BTW I believe upgrades require C class availability (same as SWU's).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Wink Thanks all .....

.... for your input and suggestions.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
You have to pay for an upgradeable fare (I thought B were included as well as Y but they are on the way out I hear) and there has to be seats available for upgrade which there rarely are.

Hi ricktoronto! I am unfamiliar with a restricted business fare but will check it out. Simply, my question was intended to find out if I could just call AA CS and book everything via a telephone call instead of doing some of the work online and run the risk of not being able to get the flights I wanted. Thanks.

Richard
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by XFed2001
Hi ricktoronto! I am unfamiliar with a restricted business fare but will check it out. Simply, my question was intended to find out if I could just call AA CS and book everything via a telephone call instead of doing some of the work online and run the risk of not being able to get the flights I wanted. Thanks.
Most of us here just buy the cheapest coach fare for the flights we want online at AA.com, then call AA to be added to the upgrade waitlist. If you truly want to buy a full fare ticket (Y or B) and upgrade, then I'd put the exact flights you want on hold online, then call AA to upfare the flights to Y or B, as these are rarely available online.

However, full Y or B fares are generally VERY expensive internationally, and as mentioned above many times you can find an outright discount business fare for cheaper. It seems a huge waste to spend the money on a full fare then run the risk of not even clearing the upgrade, especially if you don't have status.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you can do the whole thing on the phone, but will be charged the phone booking fee ($40 IIRC)
You will HAVE to call in to request the upgrade (or the waitlist) no matter how you book the ticket.

This is not UA or DL.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, you can do the whole thing on the phone, but will be charged the phone booking fee ($40 IIRC)
You will HAVE to call in to request the upgrade (or the waitlist) no matter how you book the ticket.

This is not UA or DL.
ijgordon: Thanks for the input. It sounds like even if I pay the $40 booking fee, I can NOT get immediate ticket processing/confirmation that my tickets are now in J. Sounds like there's no way around avoiding the "call in" after I book the ticket. In the old, old days, I could just call in and talk to a human and give him/her a credit card and finish the booking/transaction all in one call. Those days are no more .......
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's availability, you should be able to do the whole transaction in one go on the phone. But "if" is the operative word. And of course, that doesn't matter whether you're doing an upgrade from full fare or a discounted fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.