Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Musings on "Chicken or Pasta"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
One should really lighten up. And get over it.

In this too overly PC world, white males are the only class that can be continually marginalized, de-masculinized in commercials, and the butt of any number of jokes, without any fear of retaliation from some "awareness" group.
This is kind of funny. Where I come from, the referenced post would have insulted mostly white males. Elsewhere, though, others as well.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspatchwork
Since last summer I've been regularly taking CLT-LHR.

I ride coach in the very nice A330. Usually the red eye to LHR and a 9AM return.

Every flight, the meal service is simply a question of "chicken or pasta."
Does this question mean that there is always a vegetarian choice (the pasta) in AA coach longhaul international these days? Or just on LUS flights?

Many years ago (the last time I flew LAA longhaul international in coach; I never flew LUS international) it was often a choice between chicken and beef or such, and if you wanted vegetarian you had to order a special meal (which was/is of course actually the all-purpose special meal that is simultaneously vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and several others).

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 14, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Old May 7, 2016, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HILTON PLAT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does this question mean that there is always a vegetarian choice (the pasta) in AA coach longhaul international these days? Or just on LUS flights?

Many years ago (the last time I flew LAA longhaul international in coach; I never flew LUS international) it was often a choice between chicken and beef or such, and if you wanted vegetarian you had to order a special meal (which was/is of course actually the all-purpose special meal that is simultaneously vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and several others).
I've been taking CLT to LHR via American for almost a year, and there has always been a 'chicken or pasta' option.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
Since AA can't be bothered to offer menu cards in coach, you will have to keep asking.
JAL and ANA have description and pictures of the options
on a laminated sheet that they present to you before you make your
choice. It is probably because their English skills are limited. Since
the AA Economy menu does not change for months, it could be
laminated and presented to customers so they can read about the
meal and how it is prepared before they choose. It is also good for
people with unusual allergies to see the ingredients...

F.A.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, I do wish if AA can provide some description of meals on international flights to passengers in Main Cabin. I wonder if FAs receive any meal information in Main Cabin. My favorite seat is bulk head in Main Cabin, I often ask about the meal choice and most of the time FAs look as all they knew was chicken or pasta. Most of the time FAs had to actually get a peek under the foil in front of me to find out what kind of dish it is.

I fly to NRT frequently and often meals served in Main Cabin can be Japanese/Asian flavor. Once FA said chicken thinking typical roast chicken type with vegetable and mashed potato, but it turned out to be Chinese type sweet and sour chicken with rice. Another time thinking pasta as penne pasta with tomato sauce type but turned out to be Chinese Lo Mein type dish.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
One should really lighten up. And get over it.
+1

And I say this this as a someone who is from Tennessee. So if I am not offended by a "hayseed" joke then you probably should not be either. Geez
Old May 7, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flyalways
JAL and ANA have description and pictures of the options on a laminated sheet that they present to you before you make your choice. It is probably because their English skills are limited.
It is likely because Japanese skill of the U.S. passengers are almost non-existence.

Any case, I do think ANA and JAL’s approach of having picture of meal choice is a great idea. Not all passengers speak English. Even if FAs do speak English, how many U.S. passengers will understand if a FA describe as “Katsu-don pork dish.”
Old May 7, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does this question mean that there is always a vegetarian choice (the pasta) in AA coach longhaul international these days?
Probably. Carbs are cheap. Protein costs money.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:50 pm

Reminds me of one time when I asked a BA FA what type of chicken dish the meal was, as they failed to announce it. His reply was "dead". I was in the last row of Y on a 744.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.