Musings on "Chicken or Pasta"

Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HILTON PLAT
Musings on "Chicken or Pasta"

Since last summer I've been regularly taking CLT-LHR.

I ride coach in the very nice A330. Usually the red eye to LHR and a 9AM return.

Every flight, the meal service is simply a question of "chicken or pasta."

Every flight, I have gently asked... "do you by chance know what kind of chicken or pasta?"

Only once has an attendant known and given me a response with a smile. More often then not they don't know (and won't check), and more than once I have been given a snarky or downright rude response (today's was ... it's chicken or pasta. it's airline food).

Have I just been unlucky? Or am I wrong to slow their meal distribution by asking. ( though to be honest, given this phenomenon, I now can't help myself but to ask )
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jspatchwork
Since last summer I've been regularly taking CLT-LHR.

I ride coach in the very nice A330. Usually the red eye to LHR and a 9AM return.

Every flight, the meal service is simply a question of "chicken or pasta."

Every flight, I have gently asked... "do you by chance know what kind of chicken or pasta?"

Only once has an attendant known and given me a response with a smile. More often then not they don't know (and won't check), and more than once I have been given a snarky or downright rude response (today's was ... it's chicken or pasta. it's airline food).

Have I just been unlucky? Or am I wrong to slow their meal distribution by asking. ( though to be honest, given this phenomenon, I now can't help myself but to ask )
This annoys me too, but I usually just default to the chicken.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Since AA can't be bothered to offer menu cards in coach, you will have to keep asking.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There was a (probably apocryphal) story years ago when free meals were still served in Coach on domestic flights. The hayseed passenger apparently mis-heard the flight attendant, and replied, "I'll have the possum."

But back to your issue. I would probably say something like, "How is the chicken (or pasta) prepared? I have dietary issues."
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I think you should ask if the chicken is cage-free/free-range

I've noticed on pmAA TPAC flights that they'll include descriptors (i.e. curry chicken, Asian-style noodles). I guess it all depends on the route and crews.

BA is really good about telling you what their Y meals are, which is nice.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There was a (probably apocryphal) story years ago when free meals were still served in Coach on domestic flights. The hayseed passenger apparently mis-heard the flight attendant, and replied, "I'll have the possum."

But back to your issue. I would probably say something like, "How is the chicken (or pasta) prepared? I have dietary issues."
Ha!

Yes, maybe I'm just not phrasing it correctly. I don't need a menu or anything fancy, a one word descriptor would be awesome.... curry chicken or pesto pasta.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:41 pm

I asked once - in domestic first class nonetheless - and was still met with an "oh my gosh I have no idea do you really want me to check!?" response. I asked her to check and she did... oh what powers you have in first class!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:50 pm

more than once I have been given a snarky or downright rude response (today's was ... it's chicken or pasta. it's airline food).
Sounds like a truthful answer...it is airline food. You only eat it because otherwise you'll be hungry. If you have brought food with you, definitely eat that. If you have not, I doubt that it makes much difference whether they say "chicken cacciatore" or "chicken kiev" (both will be lies). They have very helpfully informed you of whether it is chicken or pasta; given what you are paying, they may have felt they didn't even have to do that. Think of it as an ingredient list, except limited to just the main ingredient.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Ha!

Yes, maybe I'm just not phrasing it correctly. I don't need a menu or anything fancy, a one word descriptor would be awesome.... curry chicken or pesto pasta.
I think she did tell you, it is "airline chicken" or "airline pasta"...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I think I need to start carrying those Above and Beyond certifs AA send us and start submitting them for the folks that at least feign interest.

Last edited by jspatchwork; Feb 14, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by guv1976

I really hate these classist, regionalist, and actually racist "jokes" and encourage folks to imagine themselves in other peoples' shoes.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ...

When I was commuting weekly on UA between SFO and JFK in the late '80s (when they served meals in Y), one time the PA was: "For those of you in coach who will be dining with us, we will be starting our meal service. Tonight, your choices will be... Chicken in the dark brown sauce, Chicken in the light brown sauce, ... and tortelini. Please be prepared with a second choice. Bon appetit!".

(OBTW-I was in F)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
I always decline both.. I ask for a tapas snack box from the back or a sandwich
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Y food is airline food at its worst. If I have access to a FL I eat there or if not somewhere else pre flight because a Y meal is really gross. Since I won't fly Y long haul (to old for that kind of physical torture) I haven't had to worry about it.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by dia1
I really hate these classist, regionalist, and actually racist "jokes" and encourage folks to imagine themselves in other peoples' shoes.

One should really lighten up. And get over it.

In this too overly PC world, white males (including me) are the only class that can be marginalized, continually de-masculinized in commercials, and the butt of any number of jokes, without any fear of retaliation from some "awareness" group.

Back on topic-airline food is an oxymoron 99% of the time.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Feb 14, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.