Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning AA Award ("Redeemable") Miles / RDM earning as of 01 Aug 2016
on American Airlines and its partner airlines
Note: Earning RDM / Award Miles changed 1 Aug 2016 -

Award Mile changes: American Airlines announced 1 Aug 2016 they have implemented a revenue-based scheme for earning what American is calling Award Miles (previous AA terms have included "Prize-winning miles", also frequently referred to as Redeemable Miles (RDM) in this forum).

This means miles that can be spent on awards are now earned on the basis of price paid (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees such as fuel surcharges, not including government-imposed fees and taxes such as airport passenger service fees, etc.) times a factor determined by one's status. This change applies only to AA-"marketed" flights -- that is, flights booked with an "A" flight number -- with exceptions described under "Special Fares".

Partner-marketed flights (flights with a flight number other than an "AA" one) continue to earn based on miles. See below. This change applies to all flights flown on or after 1 Aug 2016, regardless of when the ticket was purchased.

Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM are merely mile posts to count for status qualification as of 01 January 2016. NOTE: some airline partner EQM changes occur 1 Aug 2016. See here. These are no longer Redeemable.

Bonus Miles: The earning of Bonus Miles (which are always Award or Redeemable Miles, never Elite Qualifying), has changed as a result of the new system. Cabin service / fare class bonus miles may be earned on flights marketed by AA airline partners; see the mileage earning chart for 1 Aug 2016 for each airline partner on aa.com.

See Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016 for more about earning EQM.

Link to aa.com page "AAdvantage program updates".

Award Miles (also called Redeemable miles)

Earning as of 01 Aug 2016 and beyond

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on American and American Eagle marketed flights (including flights sold as AA codeshare flights operated by other airlines):
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code

• Fly an eligible route

• Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Calculating award miles

For travel beginning August 1, 2016, you'll earn miles based on ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, not including government-imposed taxes and fees). The more you spend, and the higher your elite status, the more you'll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar

• Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar (40% bonus)

• Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar (60% bonus)

• Platinum Pro member (New in 2017) - 9 miles/U.S. dollar (80%bonus)

• Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar (120% bonus)

Or, as mchensel said in another post, to clarify:

AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar*

Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar* (5 miles + 2 miles, 40% bonus)

Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar* (5 miles + 3 miles, 60% bonus)

Platinum Pro member - 9 miles/U.S. dollar* (5 miles + 4 miles, 80% bonus)

Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar* (5 miles + 6 miles a 120% bonus)

*dollar spent on basic fare and carrier imposed fees only - not government fees or taxes, ancillary fees such as baggage, upgrade, changes, etc.

NOTE: You can earn a maximum of 75,000 award miles per E-Ticket. Note that a single PNR might have more than one E-Ticket, and various kinds of changes may cause an E-Ticket to be re-issued, which we believe resets the maximum mileage counter.

Earning award miles for travel on most flights marketed by partner airlines is based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased. Updated tables were posted 15 Jul 2016 and reflect new award earning rates on partner / fare class combinations.

See here.

Elite bonuses on partners: Earning on flights marketed by Alaska and almost all oneworld partners will also use those same elite status bonus ratios (40%/60%/80%?/120%), as announced by AA on 1 Aug 2016. See here.

Special Fares: AA has specified a set of "Special Fares", which includes AA Vacations. NOTE: Award Miles earning varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changes on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

Some fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) earn award miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.

Special fares are often purchased through a specialized agent, third party or as part of a package including air transportation and lodging.

Examples:
  • Bulk fares

• Cruise fares

• Consolidator fares

• Discounted or inclusive tour packages

• Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV) packages

• Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
Initial reports have revealed interesting cases which apparently fall under that final "fare isn't disclosed" catch-all, and therefore earn according to the Special Fares mileage-based table:
  • At least some purchases made with Citi TYPs and the like

• At least some reissues, whether changed beforehand or due to IROPS
Again, these reports are few and preliminary. Further data points to confirm or refute these, or to add to the list, are welcome.

Elite Bonuses on Special Fares: The Special Fares page also says, "AAdvantage elite member bonuses will be applied in addition to the percentages shown for award miles." These bonuses are the same as for partner flights.

See the "Special Fares" earning chart (and note the chart for those changes on 11 Jan 2017). See here.

BE SURE to read the FAQs here.

Sample calculation

AAdvantage member flying round-trip on an American marketed flight from Dallas (DFW) to London-Heathrow (LHR) (NOTE: All $ figures are USD / U.S. Dollars)

Code:
Elite status	        Base fare    Carrier imposed fees   Miles/USD 	Award miles earned
 AAdvantage member	$1,436	     $458	            5	        9,470
 Gold	                $1,436	     $458	            7	        13,258
 Platinum	        $1,436	     $458	            8	        15,152
 Executive Platinum	$1,436	     $458	            11	        20,834
In the example below, in Costa Rican Colones so used only for illustrative purposes, the airport and countered fees and taxes would be excluded from RDM calculations:

Bonus miles

Bonus (award) Miles are no longer earned as before - see earnings for EQM, A/RDM (and for 2017 EQD) here and from other partner activities such as hotel stays, auto rentals, purchases from AA shopping portal vendors and partners, credit cards, etc.

(NOTE: Bonus miles are Award / Redeemable, not Elite Qualifying, miles)
"Exceptions
Certain airline ticket types aren't eligible for mileage accrual regardless of the booking code. These include, without limitation:
  • All tickets issued as AAdvantage® awards
  • Charter flight tickets
  • Companion tickets
  • Infant tickets
  • Items occupying a purchased seat
  • Other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets
  • Tickets purchased through a travel agency where the airline is not disclosed prior to purchase, such as Priceline or Hotwire
  • Tickets issued subject to special provisions
  • Travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets"
Older speculative and obsolete posts in this thread have been moved to the Archive, ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts).

Updated 07 Jan 2017 - JDiver with thanks to spammersarescum

Historical information moved to ARCHIVE thread, link to same renewed. JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
... on AY and LA, as flyingeph12 noted; H class on BA, and B and H classes on CX, were the only drops for those two. Also, discount business (I) dropped for JL and LA but not BA and CX (haven't checked the others).
CX PEY (codes R, E) also lost their CoS RDM bonus (basically no one flies code W anyway, so...) - I lose a little bit out of this.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
How is EQD calculated? Based on the $ value of the ticket x $8 for platinum or is it based on miles?

Does the $6K requirement for Platinum have to be met in order to qualify?

I'm already Lifetime Plat.. but asking for a friend. And looking at it now, I am glad I have LT status. I will bank my miles somewhere else now.. Though I wished AAdvantage could have started this in 2017 instead of giving us what, 2 weeks notice?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
How is EQD calculated? Based on the $ value of the ticket x $8 for platinum or is it based on miles?

I'm already Lifetime Plat.. but asking for a friend. And looking at it now, I am glad I have LT status. I will bank my miles somewhere else now.. Though I wished AAdvantage could have started this in 2017 instead of giving us what, 2 weeks notice?
No, EQDs don't start until Jan 2017 (for status year 1 Jan 2018 (or some time in 2017 if achieved thresholds earlier) - 31 Jan 2019)
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
There is no $8x EQD multiplier; you're thinking of the Plat 8x for RDM on AA-marketed flights. And RDM and EQD will be based on value of ticket minus government fees and taxes.

For partner-marketed flights, you will earn RDM and EQD based on miles and CoS -- not $ -- as specified in the relevant partner table released Jul 15.

As noted, the EQD requirement does not take effect until 2017. But, yes, publishing the partner RDM rates just 15 days before they take effect is completely inexcusable.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

There's a thread discussing this. Only RDMs on AA flights are calculated using the multiplier formula in conjunction with the ticket price (less taxes). Partner EQDs are calculated on a different set of multiples based on fare subset. While EQDs will not officially apply until the start of next year, it appears these will be tracked for the balance of this year to provide one of the upgrade criteria for priority starting next year. These $ thresholds must be met to achieve a given status, so if $6K is not achieved, even if EQMs or EQSs have been met, the lower status as related to the "spend" number will be the status given in subsequent years.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by jigri2003
Nope, there's been pretty broad cuts in RDM earning across partners from Aug 1. Especially in lower economy buckets, but also in mid level economy buckets like H and K, and then several partners' discount business buckets like LA, JJ, QR. It's a clear cut earning devaluation on top of the one early this year, combined with the redemption devaluation.

AAdvantage is now the worst of the 3 major US programs, with the only good thing being solid partners and continued first class availability for redemption. But they have much worse routing rules than DL/UA, worse SWUs than DL and probably even with UA given lack of C availability in advance, many fewer award seats on own metal than DL/UA, many fewer partners and a worse network than UA, and now worse partner earnings than DL. May be worse than UA for partner earnings as well if buying partner tickets through UA with a UA ticket number is a reasonable option wrt availability and price.
So true. Added to which, they also now have fewer SWUs than UA, which is where I come from and which may end up as the core of my new kayaking life, given that I have lifetime Gold status with them. Yes, UA's SWUs require a higher booking class, but on the other hand, there's no risk of them being devalued to upgrading into Premium Economy. The one other remaining AAdvantage that I can see is bonus miles on partner flights (unless they're going too), which UA only has with LH. But these bonuses are now multiplied with quite pathetic amounts anyway. Otherwise, I can see no remaining edge — even minimum EQM/RDM are going.

Other than the SWU devaluation, AA does maintain, for now, the best top-tier frequent flier program in terms of non-mileage benefits. But as a discount fare business traveler based outside of the US, achieving EXP is no longer feasible for me, because 100% EQM is only available with AA, and they only fly in one direction out of LHR. I'll scramble through requalification this year through AA flights, the odd BA premium economy flight, and 50% EQM/RDM earnings for the rest. But now that discount fares with partners are down to 25% EQM/RDM, I'll enjoy the First Class lounges for this year and next and then, with regret, call it a day.

It's been great while it lasted. But, until and unless they match AA's devaluation, UA still offers 100% EQM on essentially all partner fares. For US residents, it seem easier to earn PQDs with AAdvantage, as they have a formula for earning them with partner airlines, which UA doesn't. But living outside the US, I don't (yet) have to worry about PQDs with UA. So with UA, I'll still have a shot at 1K, if I don't end up just cutting down on my travel instead.

I am beginning to think that AA has decided to actively dump their international frequent fliers. Either that, or Doug has started doing behind his desk what he used to do behind the steering wheel. Maybe they have determined paying their partners to provide elite benefits to economy class travelers isn't worth their loyalty when flying westwards. But I'm not so sure what AA's USP, compared to their partners and competitors, would be for high-value premium class travelers either.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Jul 18, 2016 at 1:19 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
even minimum EQM/RDM are going.
If you're referring to the 500-mile minimum guarantee, AA has said that that will remain for EQM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:21 am

If you're referring to the 500-mile minimum guarantee, AA has said that that will remain for EQM.
For AA flights, yes. Already gone for partners.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:26 am

For AA flights, yes. Already gone for partners.
??? Where did you see that? The Elite benefits page still lists the same eligible partners.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
??? Where did you see that? The Elite benefits page still lists the same eligible partners.
Sort of.

The 500 EQM minimum is applied *before* the earning multiplier, so you can still earn less than 500 EQMs on short flight. For example, a sub-500mi flight will be rounded up to 500 minimum EQMs, and then the earning multiplier, such as 0.5 for discount Y, is applied, and you end up with 250 EQMs.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Sort of.

The 500 EQM minimum is applied *before* the earning multiplier, so you can still earn less than 500 EQMs on short flight. For example, a sub-500mi flight will be rounded up to 500 minimum EQMs, and then the earning multiplier, such as 0.5 for discount Y, is applied, and you end up with 250 EQMs.
And this has been applied in that way since June. Do you happen to have link to this?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
And this has been applied in that way since June. Do you happen to have link to this?
I don't have a link, but this was an issue earlier this year with the 2x/3x EQM promo for paid premium cabins, where elites were getting the multiplier applied before the 500 EQM minimum on short hops. Someone flying, say, a 400-mi segment would get 800EQMs in paid F, instead of 1000 (500 min x2). Someone flying a 200 mi segment would get 500 EQMs (200 x2, rounded up to 500 for minimum guarantee).

AA put out a statement saying that this would be fixed by applying the 500 EQM minimum first, then the multiplier. It works nice when you get more than 1 EQM per mile flown, but not so nice when you get 0.5 or 0.25.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Sort of.

But that's not a partner-only change, nor is it really the case that the "minimum guarantee" is "gone", right? Which is what passmethesickbag seems to be claiming. I just want to be clear on what's actually being claimed and why.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Alright...I consider myself fairly proficient in the AA world, but I have NO idea how to figure this out under the current charts. I'm looking at a one way ticket JFK-LHR-SNN//SNN-LHR-SIN (AA-EI/(2 day meeting)/EI-BA) after 1 AUG 2016 that is pricing as a thru one-way fare:

Fare 1: Carrier AA J1A NYC to SIN (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code J
Covers JFK-LHR (Business), LHR-SNN (Economy), SNN-LHR (Economy), LHR-SIN (Business)
$8,363.14 (this is the base fare without any fees or taxes)

As an EXP, what in the world am I going to earn on this in EQMs and RDMs? Frankly, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to figure out what I'm going to earn for the AA leg (JFK-LHR)!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Animgif
Alright...I consider myself fairly proficient in the AA world, but I have NO idea how to figure this out under the current charts. I'm looking at a one way ticket JFK-LHR-SNN//SNN-LHR-SIN (AA-EI/(2 day meeting)/EI-BA) after 1 AUG 2016 that is pricing as a thru one-way fare:

Fare 1: Carrier AA J1A NYC to SIN (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code J
Covers JFK-LHR (Business), LHR-SNN (Economy), SNN-LHR (Economy), LHR-SIN (Business)
$8,363.14 (this is the base fare without any fees or taxes)

As an EXP, what in the world am I going to earn on this in EQMs and RDMs? Frankly, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to figure out what I'm going to earn for the AA leg (JFK-LHR)!

-------------

How will my award miles and EQDs be calculated if my ticket includes both American marketed and partner marketed flights?

For tickets including both American marketed and partner marketed flights, award miles and EQDs will be calculated based on the policy for each flight – American marketed flights will earn based on your prorated ticket price (base fare plus any carrier-imposed surcharges); partner airline marketed flights will earn based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased.

--------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.