Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The active thread is HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners 2017

Moved from the Wikipost for that thread:

HISTORICAL INFORMATION: AA announced Award Miles earnings would change "sometime during the second half of 2016", with some implications the changes would come in late 2016 - perhaps even at the beginning of 2017. Later, indications were possibly September 2016, more probably October (see below). On June 6, AA announced the new scheme would take effect 1 Aug 2016.

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin *link to PDF on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice. (N.B. Suzanne Rubin retired from AA "early summer" 2016.)

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but [U]with a probable date in October [U]this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.
Suzanne Rubin announced her retirement soon after, and the Award Miles earning scheme was actually introduced 1 August 2016. The changes were announced on 6 June 2016.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Arrow ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts)

Ok, so it's now April, pretty close to the 2nd half of 2016, and there still hasn't been any update on possibly the worst change to the program.

When, exactly is the change going to happen?

Maybe AA is having severe IT integration problems, given that they can't even fix very basic things like broken 500mi minimums. The reason they only gave "2nd half" is that their IT is so broken they can't even give a month or even quarter....

This seems to be really problematic, given that the text says:

...will earn award miles based on your ticket price (base fare plus any carrier-imposed fees) instead of distance flown, regardless of the date you purchased your ticket.

, making me hold off on all AA ticket purchases for flights after June 1, 2016 (or alternatively just purchasing on other carriers where I know how much I will earn).
Old May 1, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro
And now into May, still no news. Really poor AA doesn't care to say anything.

Currently all we have is: some time after June 1st, and we reserve the right to do it at 0 or even negative notice (of a few hours) like we did for some changes recently. It's hard to believe AA need that much leeway on rolling this out. Surely they can say "we'll give you at least one month's notice" or some such. It's just disrespectful to not take some modest effort to consider the impact and provide some narrowing of what AA reserve the right to do so that it more closely the range of outcomes they actually need to cater for.

Meanwhile I'm sat here wanting to buy a ticket for travel in July and not being sure if I should spend it on AA.

Last edited by zoombee; May 1, 2016 at 6:58 pm Reason: typo
Old May 1, 2016, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It notified in January that it will be changing in the 2nd half of the year , which would be July ( 2nd to be precise ) or later.

AA is not prohibiting you from making a booking after July. Just be prepared that if it changes, will likely have a different earning. If it is an issue, perhaps book on a different carrier or credit to another scheme
Old May 1, 2016, 7:08 pm
Suspended

New rumor making the rounds-- highly, highly unconfirmed at this juncture-- has it past July but certainly sooner than I had been led to believe and have been predicting.

I'd certainly say that July is 100% safe by my estimation.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
They have always said later in the 2nd half. Where people get the 7/1 date just makes me laugh.

Most people are thinking q4.

And they did say that they would provide notice and additional information.

Now, what I have heard from some folks in corporate is that they are still planning for the change in q4 and that there will be details provided in the "near future." Also --just speculation -- but I would expect the annoucement to be tied to some other AAdvantage news and updates.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It notified in January that it will be changing in the 2nd half of the year , which would be July ( 2nd to be precise ) or later.
Oops, I meant July 1st not June 1st.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA is not prohibiting you from making a booking after July. Just be prepared that if it changes, will likely have a different earning. If it is an issue, perhaps book on a different carrier or credit to another scheme
Errrr. That's actually the problem. Why put potential AA customers through that more than needed. I said " Meanwhile I'm sat here wanting to buy a ticket for travel in July and not being sure if I should spend it on AA."
Old May 1, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
New rumor making the rounds-- highly, highly unconfirmed at this juncture-- has it past July but certainly sooner than I had been led to believe and have been predicting.

I'd certainly say that July is 100% safe by my estimation.
Tnx, coming from you that has a lot of weight. Though if it is that certain why AA don't say so is boggling
Old May 1, 2016, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zoombee
Errrr. That's actually the problem. Why put potential AA customers through that more than needed. I said " Meanwhile I'm sat here wanting to buy a ticket for travel in July and not being sure if I should spend it on AA."
You know that winter is coming, is the flight more important than the earnings ; if the latter perhaps avoid the risk and book on a carrier that best meets your needs

If in early 2nd half of the year that the trip is planned, the odds seem decent that it will be before the change
Old May 1, 2016, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zoombee
Tnx, coming from you that has a lot of weight. Though if it is that certain why AA don't say so is boggling
Will do my best to keep everyone updated as/when possible.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA
Smile Information during Freddie Awards

Hi everyone,
The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.
I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog.
You can check it (in Portuguese):

Old May 2, 2016, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fernando_BR
Hi everyone,
The blogger met Suzane Rubin on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice.

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog.
You can check it (in Portuguese):

Welcome to FlyerTalk. And, muito obrigado.

The blog reads,in part:

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but with a probable date in October this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.

Last edited by JDiver; May 2, 2016 at 8:58 am
Old May 2, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Honestly I think AA would have been smart to just do the changes Jan 1 2017 instead if mid year... I think there would be much less dissatisfaction that way but what do I know
Old May 2, 2016, 1:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Following - most concerned about partner earning, tbh.

I wonder if they will tweak EQM earnings (1.25, 1.75 to come?) and keep elite bonus on partners. (120% bonus as EP sounds too good to be true).
Old May 5, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year? (seems now we have unofficial idea it's the 4th quarter).

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I suppose if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.

Either way, at this point if they are looking now at a 4th quarter (rumors I heard were about technical implementation issues). Then why not just leave the program as it is for this year? The silliness of changing programs most of the way through the year doesn't make much sense. United changed theirs on March 1, 2015 which was also an odd implementation date (less odd though when you consider the end of the status year from them is February), but at least it was a hard date that was announced in June of 2014.

Last edited by transportbiz; May 5, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive due to my experience with the Smisek Regime at United, and the tendency to be opaque in announcing changes. In there case they often announced changes that were retroactive in their effective date.

Since AA seems hell-bent on a revenue based mileage accrual program--which by the way, I don't think is necessarily a revenue enhancer if you look at United's revenues and yields since matching Delta on this. Why not tell us what's going on?

When is the second half of the year? (seems now we have unofficial idea it's the 4th quarter).

Given that AA is being very non-committal on a start date, couldn't they at least come out with a statement of reassurance about what will happen with reservations already made that end up subjected to the new policy??? Is that too much to ask?

I supposed if AA comes out and says, that miles will be earned based on the booking or traveling date which ever is earlier (through the end of 2016) some people might rush to book flights now. Financially, I don't see much down side if they were to do this, if some people rush to book under the current program, then AA gets to play with that revenue for several months, and isn't on the hook for anything more than they are right now in terms of miles. And if people, want to wait to book more expensive flights such as international business class travel, they can do so (again I don't see a massive mileage obligation on AA's part given the current bonus mile program for long-haul). Ending the speculation, and anxiety some people have would benefit AA by providing a clear course of action for purchase decisions.
I'd say a statement by Suzanne Rubin is pretty much a "take it to the bank" kind of thing.

It has also need discussed and verified that the booking date won't make a difference; the dates flown will.

E.g. booking now for November won't change anything if revenue based Award Miles earnings are implemented in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.