Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Why would award nexus be better than KVS

I don't have either and eventually will need to purchase one of these (or even EF but if EF doesn't show CX its of less use to me)

TrojanHorse, why don't you try the products?

You can sign up for a free community account for Award Nexus as a FT member. EF has a 5-days trial that gives you full access to all their features. While I don't think KVS has a published free option now, I am sure if you PM the owner, he will be happy to give you a trial as well.

It's much easier to make an informed choice, once you tried the tools yourself.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
only problem is that you're limited to searches which i don't like.

kvs is much more clunky but at least you can do all the searches you want.
Very true. Some people like Award Nexus for its speed, power, and automation, others prefer to do the searches slower without the constraint of a points system. It's like the difference between a car and a bike - you can pay for the gas and go faster, or go slower with a bike and your own human power.

Different models, for different folks.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I guess it's me but I always found Award Nexus to be confusing so I've never made any real use of it. I love the idea of email alerts and if the interface were easier for me, it would be the obvious choice.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
+1. Several months ago AA was seeing availability even when CX/QF/BA reported nothing in F. Seems this is no longer the case.
About 2 weeks ago when I booked LAX-HKG on Dec 21st, I saw availability on BA for the 11am morning flight. When I called in, the agent gave me the option of the midnight departure (CX881) which I ended up booking and ticketing successfully.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I guess it's me but I always found Award Nexus to be confusing so I've never made any real use of it. I love the idea of email alerts and if the interface were easier for me, it would be the obvious choice.
Chances are, if you are confused, other people may be too, and it would be good to fix those issues.

I don't want to take this thread off-topic. Please email me at [email protected], so I can help.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Chances are, if you are confused, other people may be too, and it would be good to fix those issues.
Please don't. I find it quite intuitive as is.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
only problem is that you're limited to searches which i don't like.
What do you mean by this comment (above)

Originally Posted by ckpeter
TrojanHorse, why don't you try the products?

You can sign up for a free community account for Award Nexus as a FT member. EF has a 5-days trial that gives you full access to all their features. While I don't think KVS has a published free option now, I am sure if you PM the owner, he will be happy to give you a trial as well.

It's much easier to make an informed choice, once you tried the tools yourself.

Very true. Some people like Award Nexus for its speed, power, and automation, others prefer to do the searches slower without the constraint of a points system. It's like the difference between a car and a bike - you can pay for the gas and go faster, or go slower with a bike and your own human power.

Different models, for different folks.
I agree, I probably do need to do the trials
btw, you will have mail soon
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:43 am

Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) awards - questions, availability

Was able to snag 2 F awards on 879 out of SFO for late may. Requested 1A/1K at booking and was assigned, no problem.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What do you mean by this comment (above)

I agree, I probably do need to do the trials
btw, you will have mail soon
it's a points system. between 10-30 points a search or something like that.
supposedly it's supposed to cover a search for an award. problem is, i don't search for awards, and i don't like being told HOW to search. and with the few times i've tried it i always burn through the points in an instant.

i'm the type of person who likes to see a whole year of availability and plan my trips around that, so even though kvs is clunky i can do that.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, for CX awards AwardNexus is the best thing available, because of the automated searches. I never use it manually nowadays; I can go for free to the original web sites from which it scrapes data.

It is not well-designed; for example, to limit searches based on specific criteria, you have to learn its text-based system, which is somewhat like learning a new programming language (OK, I exaggerate). It also confusingly tells you that no seats have been found when in fact it hasn't actually finished searching yet; but that doesn't matter for automated searches. (Apparently now addressed.) At around $0.10/search it is quite overpriced.

Still, CX (unlike AA, QR) does release lots of award seats at random times when it projects that it won't sell those seats; so an automated daily search has been very helpful to me.

Now if EF would add scraping capability and thus easily expand the list of airlines it can search awards for, that would be ideal, since EF's design and functionality are much better.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Feb 9, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Unfortunately, for CX awards AwardNexus is the best thing available, because of the automated searches. I never use it manually nowadays; I can go for free to the original web sites from which it scrapes data.

It is not well-designed; for example, to limit searches based on specific criteria, you have to learn its text-based system, which is somewhat like learning a new programming language (OK, I exaggerate). It also confusingly tells you that no seats have been found when in fact it hasn't actually finished searching yet; but that doesn't matter for automated searches. At around $0.10/search it is quite overpriced.

Still, CX (unlike AA, QR) does release lots of award seats at random times when it projects that it won't sell those seats; so an automated daily search has been very helpful to me.

Now if EF would add scraping capability and thus easily expand the list of airlines it can search awards for, that would be ideal, since EF's design and functionality are much better.
i think ef is too big to scrap. that's why ua got pissed and made ef take off star alliance search. yet the smaller kvs and other tools still have it.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:56 pm

i think ef is too big to scrap. that's why ua got pissed and made ef take off star alliance search. yet the smaller kvs and other tools still have it.
But maybe it could just add CX...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Any experience on if/when flights showing F1 might open up for award space close-in? I'm in F on an LAXHKG redeye coming up soon, friend just grabbed the daylight flight in F today (on the same day as mine), but hoping to switch to my redeye.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Any experience on if/when flights showing F1 might open up for award space close-in? I'm in F on an LAXHKG redeye coming up soon, friend just grabbed the daylight flight in F today (on the same day as mine), but hoping to switch to my redeye.
A short while ago I was monitoring CX flights and I did see even the last seat in F being released as award seat. Considering the policy that CX has in releasing last-minute award seats, I would think that there is a good chance you friend can grab the last F, close in (assuming it doesn't get sold or redeemed by someone else first).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:29 pm

The other thread I posted this question in has been pretty quiet so I thought I would ask in this ones. Anyways I have two AA J saver awards booked SGN-HKG-EWR (CX)-EWR-ORD-MKE (AA). The baggage allowance is two bags at 70 ibs. However my EWR-ORD-MKE involves an overnight in EWR before contiuning on to MKE. I would think the baggage would just be checked to EWR, in which case would I still fall under the 70 ibs rule when I recheck the bags from EWR-MKE the next morning?

Last edited by kannon99; Feb 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
My experience has been they release 3 days out from flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.