Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 16, 12:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 18, 14, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Have a LAX-HKG award ticket reservation in J for 2 passengers (late April 2014). Now I see some F availability close to our travel dates. However, there is only one seat per flight being released by CX. What is the best thing to do? Should I upgrade one passenger to F and wait to see if something opens up later for the other passenger? Is it even possible to upgrade one person but not the other in the same PNR? Any advice?
Old Jan 18, 14, 9:18 pm

Split the PNRs and link them.
Old Jan 19, 14, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Have a LAX-HKG award ticket reservation in J for 2 passengers (late April 2014). Now I see some F availability close to our travel dates. However, there is only one seat per flight being released by CX. What is the best thing to do? Should I upgrade one passenger to F and wait to see if something opens up later for the other passenger? Is it even possible to upgrade one person but not the other in the same PNR? Any advice?
Yes, yes, and upgrade one at a time, respectively. Don't delay! And don't forget to monitor SFO, always easier to get F on the daytime departure due larger cabin (747 v 777).
Old Jan 19, 14, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Check seatmap on EF too, the more open the better the risk. I would upgrade one, if u get the sense from open seat map of more opening later. If they do not, or u cannot change to SFO, the upgraded passenger could always swap that seat with extra passenger (next to non upgraded person in J).
Old Jan 19, 14, 2:29 pm
Suspended

The seat map is a very poor predictor of future award availability.
Old Jan 19, 14, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
I'm trying to book SFO-JFK (stopover)-HKG-SIN in J for 55K miles.

Two different AA agents have told me the routing is not permitted.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is an "illegal" routing for this award?
Also, stopovers are only permitted at the first US point of entry. I may be mistaken, but you can't nest a stopover at the start of the trip when flying domestic segments. Plz correct me if mistaken.
Old Jan 19, 14, 4:03 pm
Suspended

A stopover is permitted at the North American gateway. So, a stopover at JFK would be allowed.
Old Jan 19, 14, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Also, stopovers are only permitted at the first US point of entry. I may be mistaken, but you can't nest a stopover at the start of the trip when flying domestic segments. Plz correct me if mistaken.
AA allows stopover on either the first point of entry or first point of departure from North America, so the stopover at JFK just before flying to HKG is allowed.
Old Jan 19, 14, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
AA allows stopover on either the first point of entry or first point of departure from North America, so the stopover at JFK just before flying to HKG is allowed.
Excellent clarification, I do appreciate it. Thanks - Jamie
Old Jan 19, 14, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
The seat map is a very poor predictor of future award availability.
Is flightstats any better?
Old Jan 19, 14, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Is flightstats any better?
AR is correct, that the seat map is a poor predictor. I use it to determine loads at time of booking. If there are already seats sold, I avoid those flights. It does not mean that they will NOT sell but it does no good to book into a partially sold flight initially.

I have never used or have any knowledge if flightstats will be better.
Old Jan 19, 14, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee View Post
AR is correct, that the seat map is a poor predictor. I use it to determine loads at time of booking. If there are already seats sold, I avoid those flights. It does not mean that they will NOT sell but it does no good to book into a partially sold flight initially.

I have never used or have any knowledge if flightstats will be better.
Use ExpertFlyer, to see the minimum number of available seats by bucket. If flight is F6, no seats have been sold. If J9, at least 9 biz seats are for sale, but actual number may be higher.
Old Jan 19, 14, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Sad to report that, according to EF, the late morning SFO-HKG 744 (CX879) flies for the last time on August 31.
Even worse is that 879 will be operated with a two class 77W six days a weeks starting September 1st, with only Wednesday's flight showing three class.
Old Jan 20, 14, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
Interesting, have a question, looking to book, LAX-JFK-YVR-LAX with AA miles is this a legal routing? The JFK-YVR would be on the wonderful CX 777. Could I make JFK the desination and YVR as the stopover? or JFK as the stopover and YVR as the desination?

TIA
Old Jan 20, 14, 2:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Interesting, have a question, looking to book, LAX-JFK-YVR-LAX with AA miles is this a legal routing? The JFK-YVR would be on the wonderful CX 777. Could I make JFK the desination and YVR as the stopover? or JFK as the stopover and YVR as the desination?

TIA
No stopovers on intra-North America. You also can't route between two U.S. cities via Canada. That's illegal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: