Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No stopovers on intra-North America. You also can't route between two U.S. cities via Canada. That's illegal.
Damn, Would this be legal then, LAX-LHR-JFK-YVR-LAX. LHR is the desination and YVR would be the stopover.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Damn, Would this be legal then, LAX-LHR-JFK-YVR-LAX. LHR is the desination and YVR would be the stopover.
Not if you wanted a stopover at YVR. You'd have to book awards for LAX-LHR, LHR-JFK-YVR (assuming the fare is published for AA/BA TATL and CX JFK-YVR), and YVR-LAX. LHR-JFK-YVR-LAX "should" be legal (again assuming a published fare allowing the routing, which seems highly unlikely), as you are traveling LHR-LAX overall, but you can't stopover at YVR with that routing as there are no ways to make it qualify as your North American point of entry, i.e. no LHR-JFK and JFK-YVR flights that have the same flight number, this is an important distinction that is not made around here enough. AA's ORD-NRT flight has the same flight number as a BOS-ORD as an example, so in theory I could book (again assuming published fare) something like JFK-BOS-(ORD)-NRT (or onward), and be able to stop at BOS despite it not being the physical point that I leave the country. The computer sees my ticket as JFK-BOS-NRT, as my flight only stops at ORD (despite the change of aircraft from 738 to 772).

This is a more general award question and so these last few responses should perhaps be merged to the partner award thread.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sad to report that, according to EF, the late morning SFO-HKG 744 (CX879) flies for the last time on August 31.
Even worse is that 879 will be operated with a two class 77W six days a weeks starting September 1st, with only Wednesday's flight showing three class.
WOW that is big news. Thanks SFO777 for posting this info. I am glad I got my next CX F already booked before then. Was the other 747 still listed on EF?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:51 am
Suspended

http://airlineroute.net/2014/01/03/cx-744-s14update1/
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
No. Also, what I meant is that it is literally illegal (against U.S. government laws), not that it's against AAdvantage rules. You can't fly between two U.S. cities via Canada.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sad to report that, according to EF, the late morning SFO-HKG 744 (CX879) flies for the last time on August 31.
Even worse is that 879 will be operated with a two class 77W six days a weeks starting September 1st, with only Wednesday's flight showing three class.
Just got myself a seat on CX879 on April 11th in F. Glad that I'll have a chance to fly this big bird in the nose before it goes away!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
No. Also, what I meant is that it is literally illegal (against U.S. government laws), not that it's against AAdvantage rules. You can't fly between two U.S. cities via Canada.
I know its illegal for a Canadian carrier to transport a passenger between two US airports. Why is it illegal for a US carrier to transit people between two American cities via a 3rd country?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:26 am
Suspended

Because the applicable international treaties and agreements do not allow it.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Because the applicable international treaties and agreements do not allow it.
Is that only true for Canada? Do you know if Japan has the same stipulation?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Yes, but with Guam and Saipan carved out.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut
This is the case for most countries. They do not allow foreign carriers to conduct what is essentially domestic transportation.

For example, you are not going to see a Korean carrier be allowed to carry traffics between two Japanese cities by connecting in a Korean airport.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
This is the case for most countries. They do not allow foreign carriers to conduct what is essentially domestic transportation.

For example, you are not going to see a Korean carrier be allowed to carry traffics between two Japanese cities by connecting in a Korean airport.
I know, that's not what I asked. I asked why a Japanese carrier can't ticket people between two Japanese cities via Korea.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
So I booked CX 879 in F on May 9, yay! I used Avios for myself and I'm using AA miles for my sister (her itinerary is currently on hold). I would REALLY love to sit in 1A & 1K on the 747. When I go to my booking on CX website it shows me in 2A, and 1A & K are blocked/occupied. However, expert flyer shows 1A-K as open and not blocked. CX website will actually let me choose the seats in row 4 which are blocked on expert flyer. (I do have a lap infant but don't need the bassinet seat-- he is too big). Is this normal? How can I get1A, by calling?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
So I booked CX 879 in F on May 9, yay! I used Avios for myself and I'm using AA miles for my sister (her itinerary is currently on hold). I would REALLY love to sit in 1A & 1K on the 747. When I go to my booking on CX website it shows me in 2A, and 1A & K are blocked/occupied. However, expert flyer shows 1A-K as open and not blocked. CX website will actually let me choose the seats in row 4 which are blocked on expert flyer. (I do have a lap infant but don't need the bassinet seat-- he is too big). Is this normal? How can I get1A, by calling?
out of curiosity how much was the charge for lap infant in F on CX?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
Originally Posted by azepine00
out of curiosity how much was the charge for lap infant in F on CX?
I used Avios instead of AA miles so that the cash outlay would be much less. Of course the miles required are huge, but I have a lot so I went that route. For SFO-HKG in first I am using 105,000 Avios for myself + 10,500 for the infant and roughly $141 in taxes for each of us (total $279).

If I had gone with AA miles, the mileage would be MUCH lower and I could have added more segments in the U.S. but best case scenario infant fees would have been $900+ (10%). When I price the SFO-HKG flight in cash on Cathay website it shows infant fees of over $2,000 (25%).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.