Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:14 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
One thing to watch on the re ticketing is to make sure when taxes are refunded they are refunded in the correct amount. If you see a mistake point it out as it may affect your ticket. In my case I made multiple changes which involved eliminating stops and somewhere along the way an agent refunded a slightly incorrect amount which when discovered made the ticket such that I could not have flown on it. It took a subsequent change to discover it and was not simple to correct.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by geclub1
Over this thread, I noticed people were dreading long queuing time for AA ticketing.
I wonder whether it is beneficial to ticket a dummy booking and then change to the preferred dates when seats become available. How does the speed for re-ticketing compare with initial ticketing?
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
IME, reticketing typically takes just as long or (usually) longer. I pretty much always change my TPAC awards, and often do so multiple times per itinerary as more optimal flights come available, so this experience is based on probably 30+ ticket changes over the past few years.

E.g., the itinerary I'm flying this week was changed twice in the last week as CX and JL began finally releasing biz awards. Both times it took the full 24 hours to roll over from requested/confirmed to ticketed status, whereas the original booking was ticketed within 3-5 hours.
So making dummy booking to speed up ticketing is a no go.

Originally Posted by abk
One thing to watch on the re ticketing is to make sure when taxes are refunded they are refunded in the correct amount. If you see a mistake point it out as it may affect your ticket. In my case I made multiple changes which involved eliminating stops and somewhere along the way an agent refunded a slightly incorrect amount which when discovered made the ticket such that I could not have flown on it. It took a subsequent change to discover it and was not simple to correct.
Thanks to abk for pointing out another potential danger.

Another consideration to make dummy booking in my mind is to hedge against AA award chart change. People are saying that they will not do it while accounts are bring merged. I wonder how big a risk this is.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by geclub1
Another consideration to make dummy booking in my mind is to hedge against AA award chart change. People are saying that they will not do it while accounts are bring merged. I wonder how big a risk this is.
Making multiple dummy bookings is very selfish. You are tying up award seats for the same trip on multiple days until you make up your mind which flight you actually will go on thereby denying those seats to the rest of us who might want or need to travel on one of those dates. Just because you don't have to pay redeposit fees on award tickets doesn't mean you aren't abusing the Aadvantage program.

Last edited by susiesan; Dec 29, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by susiesan
Making multiple dummy bookings is very selfish. You are tying up award seats for the same trip on multiple days until you make up your mind which flight you actually will go on thereby denying those seats to the rest of us who might want or need to travel on one of those dates. Just because you don't have to pay redeposit fees on award tickets doesn't mean you aren't abusing the Aadvantage program.
Good point of tying up the space.

I am merely a Gold, so I do pay redeposit fees.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:35 pm

Disagree on back ups/dupe bookings. For example, CX and AA may not EVER offer award seats at the same time, meaning you can either book a long haul OR book a domestic positioning flight but never at the same time. I've held LAXHKG tickets when no flights to LAX are available on AA, and vice versa. I've also held LGAORDHKG with the intent of taking it unless JFKHKG becomes available. Expecting all segments in a multi-segment itin to be available at once is foolish. Grab what you can, as you go, and hopefully you get everything you need. I'm a fan of backups even when it exposes me to re deposit fees.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold
So would utilizing the dummy bookings be the strategy for this scenario:

I will be trying for award seats MCI-CMB via HKG. I want to travel there after Feb. 15, 2016 and stay around 2 weeks in Sri Lanka. I want 2 F seats but will take J if that's all there is. I have no plans for what to do in Sri Lanka yet and am very flexible as to travel dates.

Should I book a dummy trip for sometime in January 2016 at 330 days for whatever I can get and just keep changing it every day until I get to the desired dates?

Should I book the return first at 330 days and then backup to the outbound?
or should I book the outbound at 330 days and hope that 2 weeks later I can find a return. I'd hate to book an outbound, use the miles, and have to cancel and redeposit because I cannot get a return flight. I don't think AA will hold an award reservation for 2 weeks while waiting for the booking window for return flights to open up.

So what's the current trick to getting RT award tix in J or F? It used to be easy with loads of avaiability to HKG. How do some of you get all these award flights booked?

Last edited by susiesan; Dec 29, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by abk
how do you know what's correct? I made a timing change to an award booking and received a small refund...is there some way to 'confirm' that all is okay?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:51 pm

So would utilizing the dummy bookings be the strategy for this scenario:

I will be trying for award seats MCI-CMB via HKG. I want to travel there after Feb. 15, 2016 and stay around 2 weeks in Sri Lanka. I want 2 F seats but will take J if that's all there is. I have no plans for what to do in Sri Lanka yet and am very flexible as to travel dates.

Should I book a dummy trip for sometime in January 2016 at 330 days for whatever I can get and just keep changing it every day until I get to the desired dates?

Should I book the return first at 330 days and then backup to the outbound?
or should I book the outbound at 330 days and hope that 2 weeks later I can find a return. I'd hate to book and out bound, use the miles, and have to cancel and redeposit because I cannot get a return flight. I don't thing AA will hold an award reservation for 2 weeks while waiting for the booking window for return flights to open up.
I would book as soon as a window you can actually travel in opens up. The sooner the better. I got burned recently by the 30 extra days CX and BA can ticket. I lost DPSHKG in J during the window when BA could book and AA could not. I pressed, got greedy, and lost.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:00 pm

Just another point in defense of dupes (not trying to pick a fight, I just randomly replied to Susaisan's post).

1. Wife may go back to work, but doesn't officially have position yet. If she gets it, will probably have to cut Aug vaca short. Hence, I've already booked dupes for her (solo) while retaining the family of four's booking (we would take the full 3 weeks).

2. London or New York. A year ago, it was 50/50 where I'd finish up before vaca, hence didn't know where I'd be starting vaca from. Dupes are the answer. Found out week prior it would be NYC.

3. Indecision - we booked Asia with the intent of going, but are also holding Turkey for next summer if other family members can join. They haven't made up their minds yet.

4. IRROPs - I'll often book a backup on a rival airline in case my original flight goes tech.

5. Upgrades - as discussed, have booked domestic segments to LAX and SFO in hopes CX F opens up inside of T-14. AA rarely releases inventory this close in, hence dupes are your friend.

Long story short, if you have the currency and you are immune to fees (either due income bracket or status), it is wise to have contingency plans in place.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
...it is wise to have contingency plans in place.
We know you're big on those
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by tng11
You just gotta book really early or be flexible. 11 months out there's heaps of J and F availability to/from the U.S., and not to mention there's plenty of F availability to/from BOS for the summer months. Sometimes you get lucky. I booked an F award for peak Chinese New Year travel in February just 4 weeks ago.

With CX awards I typically book what I can get first and then swap for whatever I want closer to last minute when more seats come out, so far my success has been 100%.
Tia is for the tip, much appreciated. I am good at buying and used to be great at working the system booking on AA, but not with CX and others since availability became so scarce and with the increase in miles needed on AA. I book so many trips in J and F, I got all these miles to burn and really appreciate feedback like yours.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by AwardBee
I've planned several trips this way, for myself and others. CX is pretty reliable about releasing unsold seats at the last minute and as long as you don't mind taking a 9am flight vs a 4pm, and don't mind which NA hub you have to flight out of, I've never failed to get something booked in J or F.

Based on what you've said earlier, I'd say that calling AA is the *worst*, most inefficient way to search award space. Search yourself on BA or QF, and be aware that CX releases the lion's share of their awards within two weeks or so of departure.
I don't have an Avios account.....don't you need one to look on BA?

Cheers,
AA777
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AA777

Cheers,
AA777
Just open one...jeez. Takes all of 60 seconds. I hate to be a jerk but come on. All of your posts in this thread have been answered dozens and dozens of times already.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA777
You really can't get a handle on this??
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just jumped and used Avios to get 5x YVR-HKG for 355 days out (next Christmas vaca). It seems increasingly that 1-2 of the 5 seats that Cathay releases as J awards were gone by the time that AA can book them. Since we wanted to fly on the daytime flight, which has no F, we couldn't do some in J and some in F.

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I would book as soon as a window you can actually travel in opens up. The sooner the better. I got burned recently by the 30 extra days CX and BA can ticket. I lost DPSHKG in J during the window when BA could book and AA could not. I pressed, got greedy, and lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.