Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 17 emergency landing JFK 4 Jan 2016 (compressor stall - engine out)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 17 emergency landing JFK 4 Jan 2016 (compressor stall - engine out)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:25 pm
FeeberOZ

Originally Posted by JDiver
The aircraft experienced what is called a "compressor stall". "A compressor stall is a local disruption of the airflow in a gas turbine or turbocharger compressor. It is related to compressor surge which is a complete disruption of the flow through the compressor." link

Fortunately, though this is an event accompanied by lots of banging and drama, the event itself is pretty routine, in terms of pilots training for these and other events all the time and that the aircraft are designed with huge safety margins. E.g. an engine out event isn't dangerous, and the aircraft is designed to be able to fly - and even climb - with one engine out. And though compressor stalls used to be commoner, they are pretty rare today, thanks to a system called FADEC. (But weather and mechanical issues still happen, though they affect us today much less than when I started flying on AA - on unpressurized DC-3s.)

You benefitted from all of that, and yes, pilots are highly trained and regularly challenged in white-knuckle deviltry cooked up by the simulated [strike]monsters[//strike], er, masters. But you may want to explain to the kids that though it felt very scary, their lives were not really threatened - pilots train for this stuff all the time, the plane can climb and fly on a single engine. Less potential for trauma next time they fly. (But way exciting stuff to tell at school, including that it wasn't such a big deal to them, because they know... the cool factor.)

Welcome back to Earth!

I've heard from others who were aboard - an impressionable event!
Thanks JDiver. I was always one of those people who didn't need to know how planes and pilots got me there, just that they did. However I wish I had understood more of what you have said before that flight as it would have helped a lot! The combination of the loud bangs, the flames, the sense of coasting and watching the plane move out over the ocean on the map plus my terrified daughter beside me just made me think the worst was possible. Not likely, but possible. I listened to the control tower recording this morning and the calmness in the voices was astonishing. It's good to know that they are a safe pair of hands and that pilots train relentlessly for these things and that, at least from an aviation perspective, it's not a big deal. I'll keep telling myself that over the next few days but for now, my body is still reacting weirdly with some random blubbering!

Thanks for the welcome back too - it's good to be back! We had to travel from JFK to SFO this morning after 3.5 hours sleep at an airport hotel and it was seamless except for the part when we were waiting on the tarmac and the pilot came on and said "thanks for your patience, we had some paperwork we had to sign off after some maintenance", and my daughter starting crying again and said "mum, I want to deplane" - new word in the vocabulary! We didn't deplane and arrived safely in SFO.

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:25 pm

Great reporting on this event by all! Thanks also for the air traffic control audio!

Windy at the airport listening to the tapes. Wonder if something blew into the the engine to disrupt the airflow?

Just curious, any guidance from the flight attendants during the emergency?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:35 pm
FeeberOZ

Originally Posted by PF PM
Great reporting on this event by all! Thanks also for the air traffic control audio!

Windy at the airport listening to the tapes. Wonder if something blew into the the engine to disrupt the airflow?

Just curious, any guidance from the flight attendants during the emergency?
Re guidance from flight attendants during the incident, not that I heard. We all had to stay seated and they did too, and the only communication to the whole plane was from the pilot saying they'd been busy in the cockpit. When we landed, but had not moved to the gate due to all the emergency vehicles around us, one really nice female flight attendant came over and talked to my daughter and said that she'd flown for 28 years and this was the worst thing she had ever experienced. She also put her hand on her shoulder to try to calm her down and told her to blow into the (empty) sick bag to help her breathing. I think that there may have been a conversation between that flight attendant and some of the passengers close to her (she was seated just behind business class) as the woman accross the row from me in business class was asking her questions but she didn't have any answers at that point. The flight attendants were all really lovely actually. They were very caring about my daughter and other passengers who were upset. They also didn't show any outward signs of panic.

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:40 pm

Don't know how old year daughter is, but if she is school age she will have a great story to convey when required to write, "What I did over the Christmas break."
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:54 pm
FeeberOZ

Hi PF PM - she is 16. Curiously she has only told one friend so far (we are from Australia on hols in the US so she's just texting or whatever they do) and the response was "that's annoying"... No doubt it'll be more of a big deal when she goes back to school in a few weeks.

Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
So I woke up to an apology email from AA. Fairly sizable amount of miles deposited without asking. I actually would have preferred a phone call by someone knowledgeable about the event - this is a miss by AA. I think most people just want to understand at a detailed level what happened and why they were supposedly relatively safe - there was no mention of that, just "sorry for the inconvenience". When flight attendants are scared sh*tless and you stop on an active runway to have fire equipment inspect you, that's a real incident that needs more than just a "we're sorry!" email...

I requested someone call me - let's see if they actually do.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
So I woke up to an apology email from AA. Fairly sizable amount of miles deposited without asking. I actually would have preferred a phone call by someone knowledgeable about the event - this is a miss by AA. I think most people just want to understand at a detailed level what happened and why they were supposedly relatively safe - there was no mention of that, just "sorry for the inconvenience". When flight attendants are scared sh*tless and you stop on an active runway to have fire equipment inspect you, that's a real incident that needs more than just a "we're sorry!" email...

I wouldn't hold your breathe
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Was on a BA flight back to LHR on the 1/4, we were delayed taking off due to "an incident on the runway" glad everyone is OK.

Just checked and looks like I was on the same plane into JFK (AA118)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by phlwookie
At 8:08 into this recording, you can hear one of the pilots very calmly declare an emergency, listing the reason being compressor stalls in the right engine:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kj...2016-2300Z.mp3
Link works fine, but didn't hear any emergency declaration at 8:08... Am I missing something?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
Link works fine, but didn't hear any emergency declaration at 8:08... Am I missing something?
It sounds like ground audio is in left channel and ATC is in right. You may have been listening to only one headphone/somehow only heard left channel?

It's pretty clear. You can't miss it otherwise.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer

Engine failure on takeoff is a routine, training scenario complete with a cockpit procedure. Phone calls to people trying to explain airline safety are a waste of resources. You aren't supposedly relatively safer on a plane, you are six sigma safer.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

I wouldn't think it's overly likely. And even if someone does call, you not gonna get some kind of detailed, technical explanation. It's not procedure to do that, for several reasons.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:09 pm

I was on the flight and I asked AA to call me to have a chat. They did call me and it was obviously very high level and also a bit rude. I asked the person who called me if any extra safety measure is being taken after the incident. I thought it was a fair question. I was answered that nothing additional is being done, she/he said, planes are thoroughly checked before takeoff but some problems cannot be caught. This is a totally reasonable answer if we think the problem is ordinary. It does not coincide with the impression I got from some member of the crew who said the situation was "extraordinary". I asked for a reason. It is fine not to take action as far as there is a good reason. She just repeated the high level statement on planes being checked and literally hung up on me. That was rude and probably means she didn't have any real context on the problem.

I'm concluding AA sees this as a routine event, which I think is debatable. I would hope there is a process to learn from any incident and possibly maintenance routines are improved, but this is not the feedback from AA. I still hope it is just a miscommunication with their customer service.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aa17passenger
I was answered that nothing additional is being done, she/he said, planes are thoroughly checked before takeoff but some problems cannot be caught. This is a totally reasonable answer if we think the problem is ordinary. It does not coincide with the impression I got from some member of the crew who said the situation was "extraordinary".
Interestingly, compressor stalls can be considered both ordinary and extraordinary. The latter because they are somewhat rare (most passengers will never experience one), but they're ordinary in that they do happen periodically and can't be 100% eliminated, pilots are extensively trained in how to deal with them, and as such they present essentially no danger in modern commercial aviation.

That said, they're a scary experience for passengers, and it sounds like the agent could've exercised more empathy. I agree that she was probably told what to say but didn't have any special knowledge of the issue.

Finally, welcome to FT!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aa17passenger
I'm concluding AA sees this as a routine event, which I think is debatable. I would hope there is a process to learn from any incident and possibly maintenance routines are improved, but this is not the feedback from AA. I still hope it is just a miscommunication with their customer service.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Compressor stalls are a fairly "routine" event in commercial aviation and not cause for changing any maintenance procedures. They happen with old engines and they happen with new engines.

I assume the crewmember who told you that it was "extraordinary" was a flight attendant. Unless that FA is also licensed to repair turbine engines, it's unlikely that they know any more about the situation than anyone else on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.