Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 17 emergency landing JFK 4 Jan 2016 (compressor stall - engine out)

Old Jan 4, 16, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/RCC, AA EXP, Starwood Gold

I'm on board. As we were taking off, many big flashes from the co pilots side engine. I knew we'd come back in and we're safe 10 min later. Thankful for these skilled pilots tonight!!!!
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1 View Post
I'm on board. As we were taking off, many big flashes from the co pilots side engine. I knew we'd come back in and we're safe 10 min later. Thankful for these skilled pilots tonight!!!!
Nothing on the news yet but glad you are OK! ^
Old Jan 4, 16, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Glad everyone's OK. At 8:08 into this recording, you can hear one of the pilots very calmly declare an emergency, listing the reason being compressor stalls in the right engine:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kj...2016-2300Z.mp3
(Should the link not work, go to http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=kjfk_gnd_twr and choose the Jan 4 2300 UTC recording for KJFK Gnd/Twr)

Compressor stalls can be caused by a variety of problems, with ingested birds being a fairly common one. Some more background:

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Compressor_Stall
Old Jan 4, 16, 11:51 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
The 32T's are pretty young for such MX issues to occur.

Glad to hear that there were knowledgeable pilots, and everyone was safe!
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, TK*G, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, etc
update from a friend on the flight:

4:15p scheduled departure was pushed back 90m due to various ground holds at sfo

shortly after takeoff, passengers saw (and heard) an engine blow - flash of light followed by very very loud clunking sounds. some passengers panicked at this point. "I saw three series of flashes and a boom"

pilot comes over pa, says "as you can tell, we're obviously very busy up here", lands a few minutes later on 31L, whole cabin bursts into applause

after good 20m sitting on runway, returns to gate and gets offloaded, flight rescheduled with new (identical) metal for 7:30p, same seat assignments.

pax given option of rescheduling for next day and free jfk hotel, canx for a full refund, or continuing on today. food provided, manager went and bought food for my vegan friend since couldn't print (give?) vouchers.

pax reloaded into new metal, only to sit three hours waiting for maintenance to fix a broken computer. apparently one woman also had a major panic attack.

at 11:30p (7h15 after schedule), after one emergency landing and two deplanings, flight finally cancelled. friend given jfk hotel and rebooked for the 7am next day.

needless to say, friend is shaken and exhausted, esp after cph-lhr-jfk earlier that day.

full timeline on flightstats (mirror)
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:44 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Identical metal? They flew the same plane as in the incident or a different one but same type (A321T)? Frightening experience indeed.
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, TK*G, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, etc
second attempt was with a different a321t they had on standby in the hangar.
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:06 pm

We were on board too

My family and I were on board as well and we were sitting right over the right engine so we could see it all... As we were close to take off, the plane veered right and left once each (like it was really windy but it wasn't) then there were some loud bangs (I think four) after we left the ground and then lots of sparks and what looked like flames. At first I thought a tyre had blown but it was clear very quickly that it was the engine. I have never been so scared in my life. My daughter was very upset and terrified I was trying to hold it together for her. We kind of coasted for a while in the air while we did a big loop out at sea then the pilot came on the PA and said "we've been busy up here" and then we landed. I think it only took around 20 minutes but they were long. We landed incredibly well - you wouldn't know anything was wrong except for the emergency vehicles everywhere on landing. They checked out the engine and then we taxied to the gate. I fly a lot for work and have done for years but this is the only time that this has ever happened to me where one out of two engines has failed. I have been in a four engined plane when one engine failed and in planes that have been hit by lightning three times but nothing like this.

Then everyone the other poster wrote is right about the next plane and it also having some mechanical issue and so AA gave up on that flight at that point.

I thought AA did pretty well on most things - we all waited to get new flights, got allocated to hotels and were given meal vouchers etc. I do wonder however how they missed this given the plane was already initially delayed due to "maintenance".

Most pax were pretty calm but clearly scared. Some were angry. One woman did seem to have a panic attack after the second flight was canned but everyone else was ok. My daughter was upset and scared and couldn't stop crying but that's ok cos she's a kid. I was ok yesterday but am teary today! Delayed reaction I guess. Hats off to the pilot and his team - now I truly understand the skill these people have.
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FeeberOZ View Post
My family and I were on board as well and we were sitting right over the right engine so we could see it all... As we were close to take off, the plane veered right and left once each (like it was really windy but it wasn't) then there were some loud bangs (I think four) after we left the ground and then lots of sparks and what looked like flames. At first I thought a tyre had blown but it was clear very quickly that it was the engine. I have never been so scared in my life. My daughter was very upset and terrified I was trying to hold it together for her. We kind of coasted for a while in the air while we did a big loop out at sea then the pilot came on the PA and said "we've been busy up here" and then we landed. I think it only took around 20 minutes but they were long. We landed incredibly well - you wouldn't know anything was wrong except for the emergency vehicles everywhere on landing. They checked out the engine and then we taxied to the gate. I fly a lot for work and have done for years but this is the only time that this has ever happened to me where one out of two engines has failed. I have been in a four engined plane when one engine failed and in planes that have been hit by lightning three times but nothing like this.

Then everyone the other poster wrote is right about the next plane and it also having some mechanical issue and so AA gave up on that flight at that point.

I thought AA did pretty well on most things - we all waited to get new flights, got allocated to hotels and were given meal vouchers etc. I do wonder however how they missed this given the plane was already initially delayed due to "maintenance".

Most pax were pretty calm but clearly scared. Some were angry. One woman did seem to have a panic attack after the second flight was canned but everyone else was ok. My daughter was upset and scared and couldn't stop crying but that's ok cos she's a kid. I was ok yesterday but am teary today! Delayed reaction I guess. Hats off to the pilot and his team - now I truly understand the skill these people have.
That is one incredible first post. I'm glad you and your family are relatively OK.
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The aircraft experienced what is called a "compressor stall". "A compressor stall is a local disruption of the airflow in a gas turbine or turbocharger compressor. It is related to compressor surge which is a complete disruption of the flow through the compressor." link

Fortunately, though this is an event accompanied by lots of banging and drama, the event itself is pretty routine, in terms of pilots training for these and other events all the time and that the aircraft are designed with huge safety margins. E.g. an engine out event isn't dangerous, and the aircraft is designed to be able to fly - and even climb - with one engine out. And though compressor stalls used to be more common, they are pretty rare today thanks to a system called FADEC*. (But weather and mechanical issues still happen, though they affect us today much less than when I started flying on AA - on unpressurized DC-3s.)

You benefitted from all of that, and yes, pilots are highly trained and regularly challenged in white-knuckle deviltry cooked up by the simulated [strike]monsters[//strike], er, masters. But you may want to explain to the kids that though it felt very scary, their lives were not really threatened - pilots train for this stuff all the time, the plane can climb and fly on a single engine. Less potential for trauma next time they fly. (But way exciting stuff to tell at school, including that it wasn't such a big deal to them, because they know... the cool factor.)

Welcome back to Earth!

I've heard from others who were aboard - an impressionable event!

* "A full authority digital engine (or electronics) control (FADEC) is a system consisting of a digital computer, called an "electronic engine controller" (EEC) or "engine control unit" (ECU), and its related accessories that control all aspects of aircraft engine performance.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 27, 16 at 4:33 pm
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
What is wrong with AA and their planes? These are brand new planes but keep cancelling or going inop left and right for multiple reasons. Delta must be loving the lack of interline agreement decision....it's making AA look horrible.
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
What is wrong with AA and their planes? These are brand new planes but keep cancelling or going inop left and right for multiple reasons. Delta must be loving the lack of interline agreement decision....it's making AA look horrible.
There's nothing more wrong about AA aircraft than there is with the same aircraft operated by other airlines. Complex stuff breaks.
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Are compressor stalls more common on AA than other airlines? I thought they were fairly random and typically due to external factors (debris, birds, etc).
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:36 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by idlingbye View Post
update from a friend on the flight:

4:15p scheduled departure was pushed back 90m due to various ground holds at sfo

shortly after takeoff, passengers saw (and heard) an engine blow - flash of light followed by very very loud clunking sounds. some passengers panicked at this point. "I saw three series of flashes and a boom"

pilot comes over pa, says "as you can tell, we're obviously very busy up here", lands a few minutes later on 31L, whole cabin bursts into applause

after good 20m sitting on runway, returns to gate and gets offloaded, flight rescheduled with new (identical) metal for 7:30p, same seat assignments.

pax given option of rescheduling for next day and free jfk hotel, canx for a full refund, or continuing on today. food provided, manager went and bought food for my vegan friend since couldn't print (give?) vouchers.

pax reloaded into new metal, only to sit three hours waiting for maintenance to fix a broken computer. apparently one woman also had a major panic attack.

at 11:30p (7h15 after schedule), after one emergency landing and two deplanings, flight finally cancelled. friend given jfk hotel and rebooked for the 7am next day.

needless to say, friend is shaken and exhausted, esp after cph-lhr-jfk earlier that day.

full timeline on flightstats (mirror)
not gonna lie, I chuckled at the bolded part :lol

glad everyone's okay!
Old Jan 5, 16, 6:13 pm

Thanks Marmold3

Originally Posted by marnold3 View Post
That is one incredible first post. I'm glad you and your family are relatively OK.
Thanks for the thoughts Marmold3. I am usually pretty calm and collected but today I am not!!! I think I need a massage...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: