Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2016 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2016 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
My only guess is that cycle non-veg entree might be changed in July, so they are doing it right and not listing it. We won't likely know until the end of June when they update their service guidelines (if you can wait and still be beyond the 24 hour pre-order window).

Therefore, it would not be an error, but something that has not yet been announced by the airline. I think that assumption can be made for any flight that is more than a week away and occurs in a different month (not having full menu selections).

I could see the airline disabling menu selection to perhaps 1-2 weeks prior if people complain about this problem consistently.

I rather them disable menu selection until closer to the flight instead of not changing the menu more frequently.

Rasheed
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If the matching meal is the same on all flights, the other option is a red pepper and olive chicken breast with polenta. It's....fine.
My choices for the MIA-SAN leg has now been updated to Eggplant Parmesan, or Chicken with couscous and roasted veggies. Looks like my wife is going to be sick of chicken at the end of this trip
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
My choices for the MIA-SAN leg has now been updated to Eggplant Parmesan, or Chicken with couscous and roasted veggies. Looks like my wife is going to be sick of chicken at the end of this trip
That's a new one, presumably replacing the olive chicken (thank goodness). Let us know what it's like.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
Got upgraded on the CLT-PHX 7PM flight last Monday and the options were the Blackened Shrimp and Jalapeno Grits or 4 cheese pasta. I went with the Shrimp and Grits after seeing pretty good reviews and the pics looked pretty good. I was unfortunately disappointed. It was OK at best. The grits were very bland and the shrimp tasted like your typical reheated shrimp. I knew better, as I live on the coast so seafood here is easy to come by but I thought I would give it a try. My seat mate had the pasta and it looked good. The salad was good but small and I have no idea what the small app was but it was decent as well. The highlight of the meal was the pre-made caramel-pretzel sundae. Man it was good. They only had two wine selections which was disappointing. They had a Chardonnay and a Pinot Noir. I went with the Chardonnay and it was good but I figured they would have at least a 2 white/ 2 red selection.

Now onto the service. We received full PDB which was great but once in the air he went straight into working in the Galley. About an hour in he came around and brought our warm nuts and took our dinner/drink orders. Then it took probably 20 minutes before we ever got a drink. Once dinner was served the rest of the trip was great as he was quick to refill or do anything you wanted. He seemed new to the F cabin so maybe it was just inexperience. He was extremely nice so it was hard to be too upset with him.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
DFW-LGA and LGA-DFW

Bruschetta omelet both ways which was fairly tasty. Fruit included raspberries and grapefruit in one direction and pineapple and strawberries in the other.

PDB of orange juice and water from DFW, no PDB from LGA but they were still catering the plane past departure time. Both sets of crew were amazing and pleasant once in the air.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This was a refreshment flight ORD-LGA at 3pm
Full PDB!

Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
This was a refreshment flight ORD-LGA at 3pm
Full PDB!

Nice to see plated snacks midday on this route - I had thought they only served nuts and cookies outside of the meal windows.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
+1 for my MIA-PTY dinner flight next month.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My flight is showing as the same. As I hate eggplant anything is an upgrade!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Nice to see plated snacks midday on this route - I had thought they only served nuts and cookies outside of the meal windows.
Must be this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26515815-post939.html
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Look for AM lite bites to be replaced with plated morning items (yogurt, breakfast cake, and something else), all served on a tray, as well as trays for the PM snacks (cheese/hummus/charcuterie).
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AA 1259
YYZ-DFW
07:00

June 11 2016

Very nice breakfast, all tasty. Awesome croissant. Again.
Attached Images     
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ryan182
Meals for SEA-JFK-SEA in May
SEA-JFK (Breakfast)
Roasted Red Pepper, Broccoli and Pepper Jack Cheese Strata Roasted Red
With Tuscan roasted potatoes and chicken apple sausage

Dried Cranberry and Orange Waffle Bread Pudding Dried Cranberry and Orange With apple cinnamon compote
those are the choices I have on an upcoming flight. How is the bread pudding?
Sounds almost like a dessert (not that I am complaining)...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
those are the choices I have on an upcoming flight. How is the bread pudding?
Sounds almost like a dessert (not that I am complaining)...
I gave it a try on my last flight since I was tired of eggs. It's pretty good, not overly sweet. Pretty small portion though.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Pack1620
I went with the Shrimp and Grits after seeing pretty good reviews and the pics looked pretty good. I was unfortunately disappointed. It was OK at best. The grits were very bland and the shrimp tasted like your typical reheated shrimp.
I had this dish twice in three days this past week and it was a tale of two dishes. First like yours (albeit with grits possibly a bit more flavored than yours) while the second was better. We've seen pics of this where the shrimp vary from reheated Costco pink to properly seared and blackened. The former are obviously disappointing, the latter far better.

Crew on my last two flights were spectacular, on the other hand. Almost enough to restore one's faith in AA

Very difficult first leg with lots of pax needing to move around the cabin on a full flight for one reason or another and a generally chaotic situation at boarding (which incidentally prevented PDBs, certainly for a good reason this time). Smoother second short flight with full PDB and leisurely time had by all. Meal service on the first, longer flight was prompt, plenty of refills, etc etc. Attentive, pleasant and supportive crew also was very accommodating in other helpful ways, both FC attendants worked their backsides off on these flights.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA771 PHL-SJU
June 2016
B757 (legacy US trans-Atlantic config)
Business Class

Lunch

Four Cheese Ravioli
With lemon Alfredo sauce and tomato bruschetta

Pecan Crusted Chicken
Served chilled with mixed greens and blue cheese

Appreciated the circa-2000 angle-flat seat on this short flight, but it's almost unimaginable that this is still flying as a transatlantic business class product. Fantastic service from a very experienced legacy-US FA and even the pasta entrée was improved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.