Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why maintain gates post-merger?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Why maintain gates post-merger?

I have noticed that at O'Hare, we are now in the new year and the LUS planes are still only using H10-H14 (and occasionally H8 as well). Now that both airlines are on Sabre and all reservations are in the same system, why is this? O'Hare is not alone, either. The same is true for LUS planes at DFW (high numbered C gates) and at LUS hubs for LAA planes. Is this just to keep the agents in one place until everyone is wearing the same uniform or is it more about contracts, etc. Just curious. Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I recently had an interesting reply to my question on this subject at the ATL AC, “you can’t put 10 pounds of **** into a two pound bag”, (LUS @ D gates, LAA @ T gates), there just is not enough space in either of these terminals to consolidate at this time, they said it could take years to sort out. :-)
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
That would answer why they don't consolidate to one set of gates, but doesn't answer why the old US flights use the old US gates and the old AA flights use the old AA gates, which is what I understood the question to be.

Perhaps the optimization game of flight scheduling is just easier to keep things as-is. One question - if a flight arrives early, and/or a gate is occupied with a delayed flight, will a LUS flight sit and wait if a LAA gate is open. I'd be surprised if it goes that far.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
Separate ground staff?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CPRich
That would answer why they don't consolidate to one set of gates, but doesn't answer why the old US flights use the old US gates and the old AA flights use the old AA gates, which is what I understood the question to be.

Perhaps the optimization game of flight scheduling is just easier to keep things as-is. One question - if a flight arrives early, and/or a gate is occupied with a delayed flight, will a LUS flight sit and wait if a LAA gate is open. I'd be surprised if it goes that far.
There is still not integration of operations, maintenance, crew, fleet and much more.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver
There is still not integration of operations, maintenance, crew, fleet and much more.
Thanks, I appreciate the answer. Thankfully they're able to print all BP's in the AC's now, both for flight operated by LUS and LAA aircraft. That seems about the only part of the operations that are actually merged at this point.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CPRich

At DCA the gate assignments are now completely scrambled between LAA and LUS, so there's at least one case where they're integrated. As you say, if they don't have a gate crunch it is probably easier to keep the assignments the same as before to first order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.