Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
AA 73 & 72 LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney (as of 17 Dec 2015)
Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Including lounge, connections information

Initial schedule:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:
2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

AA 73 Ar SYD 19 Dec 2015 - Seth Jaworski c/o Australian Aviation

From Source Aust BT
American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from November 8, 2017. The advanced jet replaces the larger Boeing 777-300ER and will see first class dropped from the trans-Pacific route, although business travellers on a budget will appreciate the introduction of American Airlines' new premium economy seating on the Boeing 787.

Link to Australian Aviation article

Older archived thread relating to announcement of new LAX-SYD-LAX flight (June 9, 2015) here.

Lounges: by oneworld status, or by class of service - and Admirals Club members flying out on AA (or an AA marketed flight) get to use the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Qantas First Lounge - spa, restaurant: First or oneworld Emerald passengers

Qantas Business Lounge: Business, oneworld Sapphire pax and Admirals Club members

On arrival
Link to Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport to FlyerTalk Oceania Forum SYD master thread with extensive wiki.

Connections:

International- no need to collect baggage if allowed by your airline(s), follow flight connections signs to immigration, flight connections desk. If you are not allowed to through check your bags you must process immigration, collect bags, process customs, proceed to the airline Check in areas and process security to get back airside.

Domestic: the domestic terminals 2 and 3 are 2.5 miles / 4 km away. Figure on a half hour at least to transfer, and if you use landside road transfers during high traffic times, longer (airside plan minimum half an hour). Talking about peak times, it can take two hours with queues waiting to board shuttle busses.

If traveling on via Qantas once you're landside after the Duty Free gantlet, follow the signs and go right. You'll eventually arrive at the baggage check facility, process security and take an airside shuttle that will end up with you're being at Gate 15 airside in the QF domestic terminal. It's called "Qantas seamless transfer".

If traveling with other airlines see Here

Link to SYD airport maps, etc.

Link to SYD airport FAQ.

If you wish to overnight close to international terminal 1, see here for a Rydges Sydney Airport stay report and tips.

Historical note: Pan American World Airways was the first American airline offering commercial passenger service to Australia, beginning Feb 1947 to SYD (with several stops), adding MEL in 1958. United acquired Pan Am's Pacific routes, operating them as of Feb 1986.

American Airlines initially operated to Sydney (and later also Melbourne between August 1970 through to March 1974. AA reestablished service with a DC-10 LAX-HNL-SYD return 4x weekly in Feb 1990, but ended that service March 1992.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AA LAX-SYD-LAX AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I disagree. The Hard product is better than QF. On a 14-15 hour flight, the quality of your sleep and not being disturbed by someone trying to climb over you is important. I slept blissfully for 9 hours after the meal service ended.
What exactly do you disagree with? I'm saying the soft product and the extra hours at SYD, getting the shuttle to Domestic aren't worth it. I never claimed the hard product on Qantas was better than the 77W.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is easy to avoid having someone need to pass by the seat by taking a seat in the centre of the cabin
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
What exactly do you disagree with? I'm saying the soft product and the extra hours at SYD, getting the shuttle to Domestic aren't worth it. I never claimed the hard product on Qantas was better than the 77W.
I misread what you wrote and thought u meant people should avoid the route altogether.

It's interesting to see that once again AA service comes up short for some people. Yes the flight attendants will never be as good as QF, but is that really the defining factor here on which airline to fly? AA didn't have to upgrade the food at all (they dont for any of the other JBVs, and Parker could've just given Joyce a big middle finger if there is thought that QF forced AA, since QF really doesn't have any leverage, they needed AA to launch this route more than AA needed QF). Somewhat unrelated but https://www.yahoo.com/travel/a-behin...451934262.html.

The Hollywood Reporter talked to a number of industry insiders — including managers, agents, and publicists — who named American one of the industry’s preferred airlines. One producer told THR, “It’s the best in terms of VIP attention."
So basically American Airlines, good enough for celebrity hollywood VIPs, but not good enough for FT members.

Ironically on my QF domestic segments in J, there were no linens...lol. But i bet no single QF member complains about that.

Last edited by Col Ronson; Dec 20, 2015 at 4:20 am
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is easy to avoid having someone need to pass by the seat by taking a seat in the centre of the cabin
12E or F are my A380 "sweet spot".

I misread what you wrote and thought u meant people should avoid the route altogether.

It's interesting to see that once again AA service comes up short for some people. Yes the flight attendants will never be as good as QF, but is that really the defining factor here on which airline to fly? AA didn't have to upgrade the food at all (they dont for any of the other JBVs, and Parker could've just given Joyce a big middle finger if there is thought that QF forced AA, since QF really doesn't have any leverage, they needed AA to launch this route more than AA needed QF). Somewhat unrelated but https://www.yahoo.com/travel/a-behin...451934262.html.

So basically American Airlines, good enough for celebrity hollywood VIPs, but not good enough for FT members.
Well, if I were a VIP being treated as a VIP, it would be different. If I were a WalMart buyer or manager, I'd be fussed over, seated in F before the hoi polloi even began to board, etc. I don't know about most FT members, but in my opinion, AA fails to meet service benchmarks in several areas - the cabin is certainly one of them. Not saying there aren't some top notch FAs, I'm saying they are a distinct minority today. They proved it once again on the inaugural AA 73 - mediocre, perfunctory service, loud chatting at odd hours in the galley, etc.

I've flown dozens of airlines for six decades. AA today, in terms of service, is a shadow of itself - unless you're a VIP. American has always catered to VIPs - creating the Admirals Club was a way to butter up and convince elected representatives AA deserved special treatment and to lobby; movie actors and VIPs have always given AA great publicity, and being "nice" to all of them has paid off.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 20, 2015 at 4:29 am
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Ironically on my QF domestic segments in J, there were no linens...lol. But i bet no single QF member complains about that.
Service is absolutely a huge factor in perceived value of a product. When paying something like $8000 for a flight, it leaves a very sour taste when the FAs can't be bothered to provide a consistent, polished, warm, and friendly product.

As for the alleged Hollywood VIPs, I don't really know or care about what kind of standards they choose to maintain, that's not really how I go about selecting my airlines. Although I must say Jennifer Aniston was looking pretty good in her EK ad...
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by cmd320
Based on the two reports here it certainly sounds like a tale of two flights between F and J...
Originally Posted by CPRich
A tale of two different passengers in two different cabins on the same flight.
Notwithstanding the food differentiation (or lack thereof) and the occasional, but honestly very rare, poor F crew, this tale in my experience this year is pretty much the norm. I've had maybe 6 F flights this year, 2 J. The differences described in terms of attitude, attentiveness and general pleasant demeanor are exactly what I have found in 7 out of 8 flights I have been on. Only once in F did we have a slightly stiff and aloof crew. I've had one MIA-LHR and two LAX-LHR flights that have been excellent in F. That's not even getting into the service we had on a major delay out of JFK last year, when the F crew served us dinner while we were on the ground so we could just go to sleep once in the air. That crew blew any other crew service I have ever experienced right out the water. I don't expect this in F, but I do find that we usually get it.

J is too often as described here too. It's disappointing that crew aren't getting their act together with J service, especially given all the fuss that's been made, in any event it's as it usually is IMO.

Sitting in the LAX FL reading the piece you quote, this made me laugh:

"From here, it’s just a short walk through the terminal to the entrance of American’s ultra-exclusive Admirals Club lounge, where well-heeled passengers cool their jets before their flight. "

And then there's people like me Guess I'm the reason they need the ultra-VIP terminal.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Notwithstanding the food differentiation (or lack thereof) and the occasional, but honestly very rare, poor F crew, this tale in my experience this year is pretty much the norm. I've had maybe 6 F flights this year, 2 J. The differences described in terms of attitude, attentiveness and general pleasant demeanor are exactly what I have found in 7 out of 8 flights I have been on. Only once in F did we have a slightly stiff and aloof crew. I've had one MIA-LHR and two LAX-LHR flights that have been excellent in F. That's not even getting into the service we had on a major delay out of JFK last year, when the F crew served us dinner while we were on the ground so we could just go to sleep once in the air. That crew blew any other crew service I have ever experienced right out the water. I don't expect this in F, but I do find that we usually get it.

J is too often as described here too. It's disappointing that crew aren't getting their act together with J service,
The few times I've flown flagship it's been great outstanding service. In J, not so much. But I guess that's what happens when you have 2 people looking after 8 vs 6 looking after 52
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:40 pm
Suspended

... More SWU space for the rest of us. I think about ~10 people got upgraded to J because the J cabin was full, but there were still plenty of seats for sale as i checked it in the FL throughout the day. There were plenty of AA nonrevs as well.
As/if there is good possibility of SWU/ Miles+copay usage, you can be sure that will sway a lot of AA elites who'd prefer to fly QF, all things being equal (I know I sure would,) but will be thrilled to take AA if it's a matter of economy of QF vs. J via SWU/miles on AA.

Then again, if that's -too- prevalent, won't be a good indicator for the long-term viability of the AA LAX-SYD service.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
The few times I've flown flagship it's been great outstanding service. In J, not so much. But I guess that's what happens when you have 2 people looking after 8 vs 6 looking after 52
Maybe I'm less picky, but I've had absolutely outstanding service on the 777-300 in business class on 6/6 LAX-LHR legs in the past 2 months - Absolutely outstanding....far better that I get in business on BA on the route. The food from LAX has been pretty good, less so leaving LHR.

Last edited by morrisunc; Dec 20, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MarkedMan

J is too often as described here too. It's disappointing that crew aren't getting their act together with J service, especially given all the fuss that's been made, in any event it's as it usually is IMO.

Sitting in the LAX FL reading the piece you quote, this made me laugh:

"From here, it’s just a short walk through the terminal to the entrance of American’s ultra-exclusive Admirals Club lounge, where well-heeled passengers cool their jets before their flight. "

And then there's people like me Guess I'm the reason they need the ultra-VIP terminal.
Maybe that's written by yahoos... I'm just sayin'. The BA LHR-5 Concorde or Galleries or Qantas SYD International First lounges, the CX lounges in Hongkers - what would they have written about those?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Maybe that's written by yahoos... I'm just sayin'. The BA LHR-5 Concorde or Galleries or Qantas SYD International First lounges, the CX lounges in Hongkers - what would they have written about those?
I think I've been in the LAX AC a dozen times, ultra-exclusive it is not .
Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Flight AA72 today (Dec 21) is hilariously oversold. And im #1 on the PALL list for J->F. Bam, although i guess now anyone who has access can figure out my identity lol, well anyone with a VPN.

Originally Posted by morrisunc
Maybe I'm less picky, but I've had absolutely outstanding service on the 777-300 in business class on 6/6 LAX-LHR legs in the past 2 months - Absolutely outstanding....far better that I get in business on BA on the route. The food from LAX has been pretty good, less so leaving LHR.
im not picky either. I'm not fussed about the service (or lack of) in J as i slept for 75% of the flight.

Last edited by Col Ronson; Dec 20, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Flight AA72 today (Dec 21) is hilariously oversold. And im #1 on the PALL list for J->F. Bam
Shows as F1 J7 Y2
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Pictures From the Inaugural:

http://imgur.com/a/UN51Y
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
12E or F are my A380 "sweet spot".
Used to be mine as well in QF A388 business until one eveing I was switched to 13A on boarding due to an inoperative 12E.

Since then I am a convert to 12A/K-13/A/K - with Skybed Mk2 and being 6' I have no issue getting past a reclined 13B occupant. It's the side storage that make the difference for me ...

QF FA's do disappear on these evening 'supper' flights (yes, only one small 'plate'). They work hard to feed and water J PAX and get them to sleep ASAP after departure. Personally I endeavour to get to sleep about 10pm Sydney time (3am in LAX during December) - by then the FA's have long disappeared along with pro-active service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.