Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
Does BA not have an equivalent of MCE on transatlantic flights e.g. LAX-LHR? It seems much more preferable to book AA metal than BA metal for me because of MCE.
They have WTP which gets you more legroom, more width, more recline, and better food. It is a separate class and must be purchased but is said to be their most profitable product.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by MADPhil
They have WTP which gets you more legroom, more width, more recline, and better food. It is a separate class and must be purchased but is said to be their most profitable product.
Ah, I was hoping for something on BA metal that is Y+ but not PEY. (i.e. something that I could get a free upgrade into)

Thanks anyhow.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
Ah, I was hoping for something on BA metal that is Y+ but not PEY. (i.e. something that I could get a free upgrade into)
The word "free" is not often associated with BA
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
So it appears that even with airport upgrades the ticket is reissued and shown to AA's system as the cabin to which you have upgraded. ^^
Does anyone have recent experience confirming that BA airport upgrades (AUPs) credit miles for the upgraded class to AA?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Some questions I think I know the answer to, but I'd like confirmation:

-If booking a flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, but on AA metal, will I earn EQM's based on the AA chart? or the BA chart? (I'm guessing the BA chart, but want to know before making my purchase)
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, but on AA metal, can I use my AA status/miles to do a miles+copay upgrade?
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, and on British Airways metal, can I use my AA miles to do a miles+copay upgrade?
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, but on AA metal, can I select seats in economy based on my AA status as if I bought the flight through AA?
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, and on British Airways metal, as an AA Platinum, can I get seats reserved in advance?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt

-If booking a flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, but on AA metal, will I earn EQM's based on the AA chart? or the BA chart? (I'm guessing the BA chart, but want to know before making my purchase)
BA chart.

-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, but on AA metal, can I use my AA status/miles to do a miles+copay upgrade?
Not entirely sure, I think no, but possibly.
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, and on British Airways metal, can I use my AA miles to do a miles+copay upgrade?
Yes, there is a separate chart for this. I think no copay, but there are fare class restrictions.
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, but on AA metal, can I select seats in economy based on my AA status as if I bought the flight through AA?
Pretty sure, I did this back in November, I don't *think* anything has changed.
-If booking a cash flight through British Airways with a BA flight number, and on British Airways metal, as an AA Platinum, can I get seats reserved in advance?
Yes.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As per the BA table. Regardless of what airline operates the flight, the table to check is that of the airlines whose flight number appears on the ticket.

The table will tell you what operating airlines's flights are eligible for earning

No. If you book a full fare ticket on BA operated by AA in full Y economy class ot any of C, J, D or R business classes and there is at least one AA flight number in the itinerary, you may be able to use a partner upgrade award ( see https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp )

same as before

Yes, other than exit row seats on long haul services
Old May 7, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Independent
Earning rates for BA marketed but AA operated flights

What is the earning rate for BA marketed but AA operated flights? It seems like it might be the BA chart, but it isn't explicitly called on on the AAdvantage website (while the reverse case - AA marketed but BA operated - is).
Old May 7, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by whicuz
What is the earning rate for BA marketed but AA operated flights? It seems like it might be the BA chart, but it isn't explicitly called on on the AAdvantage website (while the reverse case - AA marketed but BA operated - is).
I just flew LAX-LHR on AA metal but with a BA flight number and was credited based on distance via the BA chart. Especially useful for earning more EQDs in cheap economy.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA
Is this what you are looking for?

I would think if the flight had an AA number you get the full AA earnings as per this, whereas BA number you get what is on the BA chart depending on your booking class.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:54 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The marketing carrier is what counts, assuming oneworld operated.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by steviewire
Is this what you are looking for?

I would think if the flight had an AA number you get the full AA earnings as per this, whereas BA number you get what is on the BA chart depending on your booking class.
Well, it has a BA number on the BA site (when I view my reservation), but an AA number on the AA site (when I log into my AAdvantage account). I suppose we shall see, but it sounds like I should expect the BA earning rates for EQM and EQD.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:45 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Well, it has a BA number on the BA site (when I view my reservation), but an AA number on the AA site (when I log into my AAdvantage account). I suppose we shall see, but it sounds like I should expect the BA earning rates for EQM and EQD.
How did you purchase it? What is on your e-ticket?
Old May 7, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
As already stated, the marketing flight is what counts. check your original itinerary and look for SOLD AS. odds are good it is BA
Old May 16, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA
Earning AA miles on BA marketed flight

I am flying two legs of a three leg flight on BA marketed flights while the third is AA -- all business class. I am a platinum AA member.

Is it better for me to use my Avios account to earn miles on the BA legs. I would only earn AA miles on the BA legs based off of distance and not on fare even though the flights costs $10K+ in total.

What's the best way to maximize mileage here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.