Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Interesting--as I read through the posts so far--no threatened mass migration.
Not being snarky, but where would any of us go even if we wanted to leave? SWA is no better than a greyhound bus, and Alaska's network isn't big enough.

I think what we'll see isn't a mass migration, but more a mass divorce from loyalty in general. There's absolutely no point anymore if you're not a frequent biz traveler and/or a jet setter.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_1) AppleWebKit/601.2.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.1 Safari/601.2.7)

Originally Posted by Madone59
At least there is no minimum spend for status!!
When you include the credit card spend waiver in the lack of a minimum spend really that big a deal? It seems like AA decided to "innovate" in that regard. ...I wish they would have copied the minimum spend and thought more about the other "enhancements."

Safe Travels
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by Madone59
At least there is no minimum spend for status!!

For now. Race. To. The. Bottom.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers
Why would they put a minimum spend, the status has been devalued to the point where no sane person wants it anymore.
Precisely.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
Not being snarky, but where would any of us go even if we wanted to leave? SWA is no better than a greyhound bus, and Alaska's network isn't big enough.
Not to mention the fact that WN arguably helped start this migration to revenue-based mileage earning with Rapid Rewards 2.0...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:05 pm

Here's a laugh:

From the original merger announcement in 2013. Among the benefits for customers, this point:

Will Improve Loyalty Benefits by Expanding Member Opportunities to Earn and Redeem Miles
Haha!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Except it's not just USA-based airlines devaluing their charts, so that fails as an explanation. AC? Check. BA? Check. AF/KL? Check. LH? Check. AV? Check. NH? Check.

That's a lot of airlines that aren't AA/DL/UA who've devalued their award charts.

As for the ME 3, since a lot of people think that might be a saving grace... tell me, what EQM/RDM do you get on deep discount EK Y? (I'll help: not a lot.)

The whole industry is moving away from a model of "buy a ton of cheap Y and we'll treat you like royalty". The salad days of FT being a way to turn $99 transcons into Krug and caviar are going behind us. C'est la vie.
The frequency, scope and scale of the devaluations has not been consistent over time. Nor has it been consistent across different markets.

The US airline program loyalty market has had more competition until it came down to just the US3 for the most part. Those non-US airline program markets you bring into the discussion (and I've had an account with all of those for years too) have had less competition for far longer (when it comes to airline loyalty programs party to Oneworld/Skyteam/StarAlliance) than the US.

Less competition amongst loyalty programs --> worse devaluations for loyalty program customers? More so than not. And now AA is making that more clear too via this official announcement about the program changes next year.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
This would be a really good time to nix the restrictions that prevent non-US carriers from flying domestic routes here. The extra competition is needed now more than ever.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by lobo411
Here's a laugh:

From the original merger announcement in 2013. Among the benefits for customers, this point:

Will Improve Loyalty Benefits by Expanding Member Opportunities to Earn and Redeem Miles

Haha!
Well they have been expanded. You need to fly a lot further to earn miles!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The frequency, scope and scale of the devaluations has not been consistent over time. Nor has it been consistent across different markets.

The US airline program loyalty market has had more competition until it came down to just the US3 for the most part. Those non-US airline program markets you bring into the discussion (and I've had an account with all of those for years too) have had less competition for far longer (when it comes to airline loyalty programs party to Oneworld/Skyteam/StarAlliance) than the US.

Less competition amongst loyalty programs --> worse devaluations for loyalty program customers? More so than not. And now AA is making that more clear too via this official announcement about the program changes next year.
They have plenty of competition. Many of their customers are fleeing for FR, AK and U2. So, how exactly does one redeem for SQ F on AK, U2 or FR? Others are fleeing for the ME3... who also don't hand out 100% RDM on deep discount Y.

I still maintain the USA is catching up to where most of the world is as far as loyalty programs go; there's no need to treat someone like a god who buys cheap Y like anyone on Kayak, even if they buy it consistently from one supplier, because there's a lot of people who buy whatever's cheapest on Kayak. If you want to buy what's cheapest consistently from us, sure, we'll sell it to you, but don't expect a crown of laurels for it.

Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
This would be a really good time to nix the restrictions that prevent non-US carriers from flying domestic routes here. The extra competition is needed now more than ever.
So you can earn 10% RDM on SQ or 25% on EK on a deep discount Y fare when they fly LAX-JFK ? LOL.

Look, this is simple; if you really want to fly the best product and disregard mileage acquisition... the door's open. It's been open for a while (VX, B6, etc.).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: EXP 18 years running / 4 Million Miler
My post on AA's Facebook page.....can you say FUMING MAD!!

As a 4+ million miler, who has been socking away miles to use once I stop flying for business, and a 16+ years Executive Platinum member, I am appalled at the upcoming mileage redemption changes just announced. As an example, today a 1st Class round trip award from US to Thailand is 135K miles. With your new award chart, it is now 220K miles. That is a mileage devaluation of over 40%, or a 60% increase in miles required for an equivalent award. Well, come the end of this year I will no longer be purchasing flights on AA, and start redeeming my now pillaged and ravaged 1.5 Million miles that I banked, which are now worth about half of what they were. You have lost a loyal and once dedicated customer.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Sad to see both AA and SPG dumping me at the same time.

Is there any indication of what is happening to TATL cash + miles upgrades?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
new DISaadvantage program (my RDM calc for 2016)

So, I only spent ~$8K to achieve EXP this year. But I earned ~200K RDM. If I were PLT, ditto.

But if I did the same next year, I would earn ~88K RDM, a 56% devaluation.
Worse, if I were PLT, I would earn only ~64K RDM, a massive 68% devaluation from this year !!!

Then of course, the U awards to Europe now cost 15% more, but I'm betting virtually none of those will be available anyway.

!!NEW NAME FOR AA ffp: DISaadvantage

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by ty97
RDMs only will move to $$-based in the second half of 2016.
Right, so I am going to put all of my AA flying the first 1/2 of the year, and all my UA flights in the second half.

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Well they have been expanded. You need to fly a lot further to earn miles!
Haha! Get into business...You'll go far, my boy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.