Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Difference between LUS and LAA] 2-Class A321

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Differences Between Two Class Airbus A321-200 Aircraft:
Legacy US Airways Airbus A321 (A321) and
Legacy American Airlines Airbus A321 "S" and "H" "32B" non-transcontinental

This is a basic guide to AA Airbus A321-200 / A321 aircraft. For specific seat and aircraft discussions, please follow links below to specific aircraft threads.

In AA schedules:
  • A321 = non-Sharklets equipped LUU A321-200s
  • "32B" = A321S Sharklets equipped A321-200
  • "32B" = A321H Sharklets equipped A321-200 with ETOPS modifications
  • "32B" is also used for the three class transcontinental A321-200
Note: IATA uses the "32B" designation to indicate any Airbus A321-200 equipped with "Sharklets" wing tip devices. AA uses "32B" as well, but in schedules fails to differentiate between the various A321-200 configurations in the fleet. The "A321H", "A321S" and "A321T" nomenclature is used on the aircraft safety cards and elsewhere.

Mostly from AAerSTL:

LAA "32B" (A321S and A321H) Link to FT LAA A321S thread
  • At most 18 months old (Jan 20-6)
  • Clean, modern, interisland
  • Sharklets
  • Ample seat pitch / leg room
  • WiFi (cellular based - even "H" ETOPS Hawai'i aircraft)
  • AVOD, AC & USB power at every seat
  • MCE / Main Cabin Extra
  • First Class forward galley better separated from cabin
  • FC closet to stow coats & F/A bags

LUS A321 Link to LUS A321 FT thread
  • Could be as old as 2001, but some are much newer
  • Less leg room
  • WiFi (cellular based)
  • NO power
  • NO entertainment
  • No MCE
  • Galley is in the cabin and not shielded
  • FC jackets stowed aft row 4 and May obstruct row 4 seats from full recline

Link to A321T transcon three class Airbus A321T / "32B" thread

Link to FT LAA A321H / ETOPS Hawai'i A321 aircraft thread

Link to A321T transcon First and Business thread

Link to A321T Main Cabin / Economy / MCE thread
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by heathrowflyer111
Booked! Following the very useful advice I'm doing DUB-JFK on 757 then JFK-LAX on A321T in J. There is no way I will sleep on the transatlantic flight so lack of flat bed is not a huge deal.

Coming home LHR-LAX-DUB on 77W (looking forward to trying the business seat here - could have done BA but want to try the AA77W business product and am willing to sacrifice the TBIT Oneworld first lounge to try it!).

Actually in March I'm doing JFK-LAX in A321 F so it will be nice to compare the F experience with J on that aircraft. Both look fantastic and I have heard very good things about them.

Thanks again for the advice and info. I was seriously considering the LUSA321 and am very glad that I have been steered clear of it.
You booked a very good itinerary for your trip. Enjoy!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PRO

You definitely made the right choice for this particular itinerary. Just be aware that there are actually *3* configurations of A321 in the AA fleet right now
The LUS one, with no power, no IFE, etc.
The LAA A321T, which is the 3 class that operates between JFK and LAX/SFO
The LAA A321B, which is a 2 class plane on various routes.

I've been on all three and of course the T is by far the best but only operates on two routes. The difference between the other two is not that substantial except for power and IFE, and the overall youth of the 321B planes.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How's the footroom in the bulkhead Row 1 of the LUS A321?

As bad as the 319?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by intub8r
You definitely made the right choice for this particular itinerary. Just be aware that there are actually *3* configurations of A321 in the AA fleet right now
The LUS one, with no power, no IFE, etc.
The LAA A321T, which is the 3 class that operates between JFK and LAX/SFO
The LAA A321B, which is a 2 class plane on various routes.

I've been on all three and of course the T is by far the best but only operates on two routes. The difference between the other two is not that substantial except for power and IFE, and the overall youth of the 321B planes.
I don't think the OP needs to worry about the LAA A321B since his flight will be JFK-LAX which only flies the A321T.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by oysterhead43

As bad as the 319?
No, the pre-retrofit LUS A319 has significantly less legroom in row 1 than either the A320 or LUS A321 (not sure if the reconfigured 8-F LUS A319s will be any better in row 1). I personally prefer row 1 on the LUS A321 (plenty of legroom IMO).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I find the lack of power ports in F on LUS the worst problem. Less legroom next.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
I like it better than the rest of the F cabin (at least in the aisle seats). Just be prepared to be a part of the galley operation during the flight because you're basically sitting with the FAs in the galley.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

The LUS 321s do vary a bit, with the newer ones having more space due to leg cutouts. The oldest ones tend to stay on short east coast hops due to range limitations (newer ones have more range). There is a lot of bashing of the LUS fleet, but the 321s are not THAT bad and the WiFi is a plus. The new transcon 321s are much better, but I do prefer the US 321s over say the AA md-80 first class due to seat width. The drop down IFE on the MD-80 is not needed when you have WiFi.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ericcheung
The LUS 321s do vary a bit, with the newer ones having more space due to leg cutouts. The oldest ones tend to stay on short east coast hops due to range limitations (newer ones have more range). There is a lot of bashing of the LUS fleet, but the 321s are not THAT bad and the WiFi is a plus. The new transcon 321s are much better, but I do prefer the US 321s over say the AA md-80 first class due to seat width. The drop down IFE on the MD-80 is not needed when you have WiFi.
I'm glad you feel that way, as the MD-80 doesn't have anybrop down screens at all.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:32 pm
ont

The only bad thing about LUS A321 is lack of power outlets. Otherwise, its "F" seat is more comfortable than any domestic "F" seat I've seen on UA or AA (obviously, I'm not talking about A321T or any int'l widebodies on domestic routes).
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by ont
The only bad thing about LUS A321 is lack of power outlets. Otherwise, its "F" seat is more comfortable than any domestic "F" seat I've seen on UA or AA (obviously, I'm not talking about A321T or any int'l widebodies on domestic routes).
The older F seat prior to HP merger is pretty good, lots of padding; the newer LUS F seat is just plain awful. I'd take any F seat in the LAA fleet over the latter.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
The oldest A321 in the AA fleet I believe is N161UW which started service with US (East) in 2001, and still regularly does transcontinental runs: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N161UW
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The oldest ones tend to stay on short east coast hops due to range limitations (newer ones have more range).
As phlwookie already mentioned, this is not true. The original LUS fleet of A321-211s are registered N161UW-N192UW. They regularly do transcons, just as the newer enhanced A321-211 and A321-231 aircraft commonly do short hops.

Not too long ago I flew on N568UW and N916US (newest -231 builds) between CLT and RDU- one of the shortest mainline routes in the system. I also flew N161UW from CLT-LAX, and N188US CLT-SFO (original -211 builds). A simple search of any LUS aircraft on flightaware will show they all move throughout the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.