Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best business class experience using 100,000 AA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best business class experience using 100,000 AA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:06 am

I agree the surcharges on BA are insane. How can they still be getting away with that? It's the best way from SEA to LHR, but I cringe each time I pay the fees.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Sorry to thread jack, but when does first award availability get released for unsold first seats on JAL?

Currently have a J seat on 12/16 for SFO->HND then NRT-BKK, would prefer a layover without an airport change.

Also have the miles to upgrade to F..
In my experience, sometimes JL releases F seats 2-3 weeks before departure, although I am not sure if it's a consistent pattern. You are also flying around the holidays, so that might be a factor.

Note that if you want to fly into NRT, you will have to connect through LAX, ORD or JFK (for F). You might also want to see if you can change to a HND-BKK flight, whether it be on JL's nonstop or CX through HKG.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by shannon94188
Thank you for all these ideas - I'm definitely excited! I have more than 100k miles, but since I'm usually burning them on domestic roundtrips in coach, I feel very selfish using more than 100k for this one trip by myself. Is it really worth a domestic coach trip (or two) to go in first versus business?

thanks again!
No. Unless you are high maintenance (loaded phrase) Business lie flat is all you need to go to Asia - First is basically a lot of suckup for those grasping for the old days. x1000 if you sleep on planes like me - which is what you want to do.

Do Tokyo. Paris is very easy to do anytime or late in life - Tokyo is extremely safe for male and female. One tip - in the Japanese hierarchy a business person outranks most everyone else, so if you eschew jeans and hoodie for a comfortable business look, its much easier to get help quickly when needed. You don't need go Versace, but perhaps Ann Taylor. Sensible shoes of course - a lot of walking.

Say Hi app for smart phone actually crosses the language barrier when I leave Tokyo for Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima - where English speakers are scarce.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Business lie flat is all you need to go to Asia - First is basically a lot of suckup for those grasping for the old days. x1000 if you sleep on planes like me - which is what you want to do.
All you "need" to go to Asia is a shipping crate. I think OP should try F and see what she thinks. Better to have tried it, and then make an informed determination going forward, than to wonder and possibly miss out on an experience. Just my opinion.

Agree with the rest of your post 100%!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
deleted

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:28 am Reason: completely retracted
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Given your time frame, I'm not sure that either Paris or Tokyo would be the best destination. I remember January in Paris with the sun rising at 8:30 and Tokyo can also be fairly chilly then (highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s). Japan is best in either spring (cherry blossom time) or fall (for autumn colors on the trees). But it's still a wonderful (and safe) place to visit.

if you're set on those dates (which are only three months away), then you do have to find a destination that has availability but as you start your search, I would put Hong Kong up there with maybe a side trip to Bangkok (or Bali for a little beach time).

I agree with those who say that the extra cost for F in miles is worth missing one economy trip somewhere in the US.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
All you "need" to go to Asia is a shipping crate. I think OP should try F and see what she thinks. Better to have tried it, and then make an informed determination going forward, than to wonder and possibly miss out on an experience. Just my opinion.

Agree with the rest of your post 100%!
Also, that feel when you walk past first (or see it to your left from 2L, in the distance) to your lowly business seat.

Happens every time
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:22 pm

Retracted.

Last edited by arlflyer; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

completely retracted

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:28 am
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:32 pm

Retracted.

Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

completely retracted

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:59 am

Retracted.

Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really do apologize that we're spending an interminable amount of time on this, and would just rather apologize and retract my statements entirely. Please consider anything you want of anything I have said retracted if this makes it less of a "harsh response". I have deleted my past posts that have merited your complaints.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:24 am

Retracted.

Last edited by arlflyer; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Anyhow, guess you win.
Not really interested in winning, which is why I unreservedly apologize and retract everything I said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.