Wiki Posts
Search

AA Redemption from DFW to SJU for 6

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Marriott Rewards; AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
AA Redemption from DFW to SJU for 6

We are planning a trip to Puerto Rico in July 2016 for a group of 6 on miles from DFW to SJU. Currently there is 2 seats available Business/First Mile Saver for 30k miles. There are no economy mile saver available. Anytime is available for 37.5 which gives main cabin extra. My question is, are these seats always available so I can wait to see if saver seats open or should I go ahead and book now to ensure I can get all 6 on the same flight? Kids involved so we don't want to split up. I booked the 2 first now, will they open up more than 2 seats in the class on miles? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BankerBee
We are planning a trip to Puerto Rico in July 2016 for a group of 6 on miles from DFW to SJU. Currently there is 2 seats available Business/First Mile Saver for 30k miles. There are no economy mile saver available. Anytime is available for 37.5 which gives main cabin extra. My question is, are these seats always available so I can wait to see if saver seats open or should I go ahead and book now to ensure I can get all 6 on the same flight? Kids involved so we don't want to split up. I booked the 2 first now, will they open up more than 2 seats in the class on miles? Thanks in advance.
AAnytime seats are available any time seats are available for purchase.

It is possible the amount of miles can change during times of high demand. In your case, 27.5 k is Tier 1 AAnytime, so you are seeing the higher Tier 2 AAnytime availability (37.5k).

I'd book the MileSAAver seats and wait to see if others opened up before booking Tier 2 AAnytime seats - but keep an eye out on sales / seat availability (tools like ExpertFlyer, etc.)
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
I second JDiver's advice. Consider shelling out some money on an Expertflyer subscription, it's well worth it ... you can set alerts for your flight and it will notify you automatically if seats open up. which will likely happen as we get closer to the departure date. Nobody know's with certainty when it will happen unfortunately...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Can you split the group? There are flights via MIA that arrive +/- 1 hour of the non-stops.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Will check out ExpertFlyer. We prefer not to split up because of the kids going. Nonstop preferred too. Guess I may have to pay for our preferences...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Is there more than one airport at Puerto Rico?

Last edited by BankerBee; Oct 23, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Yes, several, but no commercial flights from the U.S., except for Aguadilla, BQN, but AA does not fly there, only UA from EWR, and I think JetBlue, but not sure.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On AA, you'll be flying to / from SJU / San Juan Luís Muñoz Marín International Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.