Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Sticker Shock" - earning / buying stickers / no more LUS UDU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Sticker shock" - Earning or Buying "Stickers" vs. LUS DM Unlimited Domestic Upgrades

This thread is for discussing "Sticker" / e500 "domestic" upgrade use in comparison to LUU "unlimited domestic upgrades" for all Dividend Miles status holders.

For e500 / "sticker" electronic "domestic" upgrade policies and discussion, please see the thread, and particularly the wiki, in: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrade Protocols / Questions
Print Wikipost

"Sticker Shock" - earning / buying stickers / no more LUS UDU

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
IIRC some years back former AA CEO Arpey said sticker revenue was $120 million a year. With under 500 miles now complimentary there was likely a modest hit to that number.
I don't follow because now LUS flights sell seats to non EXP, so revenue might increase because I know Gold and Plats were getting upgrades on LUS.

I was also recently on a under 500 miles flight with an empty seat so every elite who could upgrade received it.

Where I see the potential silver lining as mentioned upthread is increased availability as LUS no longer has free companion. I have seen elites at all levels get free companion on LUS. Even I have gotten cross country seats for two non elites (with two elites) on one PNR at under T-24 because seats were available.

Now, it is SWU or stickers.

Rasheed
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
US is now officially and permanently gone. So you either have to accept the changes or move onto another carrier.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Th logic above does not make much sense to me.

A 60K PLT earns ~ 24 stickers a year, enough (if all clear) to upgrade 12,000 miles, 20% of his flights.

How many stickers would an EXP earn? even if double than what a PLT earns, it will be enough to upgrade for free just 40% of his flights.

An EXP with only 40% upgrade chance (or less) will not be so willing to give away his stickers to companions. And in any case, by giving away the stickers to companion, then the EXP itself will have to buy stickers for himself when needed, so no loss for AA anyway.

[And yeah, I forget about the EXP that only flies internationally and does not need stickers, but then companion HAS to fly with EXP to use stickers, so companion would also be traveling mostly international so no need for stickers]
An EXP neither earns, nor has need of, stickers.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
It was a discussion of the effect of companions to AAs bottom line in the hypothetical scenario that AA starts requiring EXPs to earn/redeem stickers.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by carlosdca
But in any case, so you are saying that on an international flight, you will leave your companion in coach for the long haul and throw him a bone for a possible upgrade on the short leg? Will the companion have EXP priority? or non-status priority?
I generally travel solo. I have upgraded friends I've been traveling with to both HKG (scored three seats on DFW-HKG) and LHR-LAX (three seats there, too). I do get some extra systemwides for crossing million mile thresholds which makes that easier as I have 12 some years.

If the companion is on the same itinerary on a domestic route, they get my EXP priority. You are limited to one sponsored upgrade with 500 milers. I've only done that once and it was in the Admirals' Club just before departure when all three of us were on the same itinerary. I surrendered some of my 500 milers from 2004 that are still in account.

It's a little different on international. If it's a tough route to clear, such as DFW-HKG, I split the reservation so I can clear separately if just one seat might open up, and then my companions will clear based on their own elite status. There is some risk in waiting for 3 seats to open at the same time. On the LHR-LAX flight, we were all on my booking and immediately cleared from hidden EXP inventory. Had started that trip in DUB so no extra charges from LHR. There is some advantage in keeping everyone on the same itinerary in case of irregular operations, otherwise we could end up being rerouted on different flights.

There's been discussion here about the pros and cons of splitting international bookings for the purposes of upgrades. Not sure there is a definitive answer there as to the best course of action every single time.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GregL
Except, I flew ORD-STL on Saturday and -- not only did my upgrade clear 3 days in advance as a PLT -- the seat next to me in F was empty.

I've only missed one upgrade on a L-US route all year where upgrades have been complementary all year up until 10/17 (CLT-MCO on an international configured 757).

Greg
STL is probably not a heavy elite route. When I fly to Baton Rouge, I get upgraded all the time LOL.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ACA321
<snip>Second flight PHX-CLT (1774 miles), the upgrade list was 2-deep, and one ended up clearing...it could mean most aren't even trying. <snip>
I am not sure, but I think LUS upgrades were automatically requested; GLDs and PLTs may not be aware that they have to request upgrades on what were LUS flights.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I am not sure, but I think LUS upgrades were automatically requested; GLDs and PLTs may not be aware that they have to request upgrades on what were LUS flights.
Yes, it's a new game with new rules. Just because it was one way does not mean it is still that way. Unfortunately, those not reading the FT posts are likely to get bit more so than those that are.

It would be wise for pmAA members to refresh their understanding of the rules just to make sure they are aware of the changes. The school of hard knocks is not pleasant.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:57 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
STL is probably not a heavy elite route. When I fly to Baton Rouge, I get upgraded all the time LOL.
STL has a significant core of AA FFs.

When TWA's FF program was merged into AAdvantage, TW lifetime to date miles were added to AA lifetime to date miles and quite a few lifetime statuses were given out.

When the tornado hit the airport in 2011, AA worked to open up a temporary AC while the reconstruction of the C concourse took place.

STL != BTR

Greg
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
BTR? When I flew DFW and CLT/BTR this summer I only remember the horrific CR2s. Finally wised up after a few flights and flew to MSY and just drove to Baton Rouge.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Yes, it became operational on 10/17 but also yes, this pending change has indeed been discussed "ad nauseam" (that's putting it mildly, lol) in numerous posts on every pm AA/US forum. Anyone that wasn't aware that was coming hasn't been paying attention.
Which is a lot of Flyertalk users who only pop in when something happens. Having a centralized "complain/ask basic questions about the upgrade change" thread when it only just hit for a large number of users isn't a bad thing. Lots of us in LUS hubs would have had to work hard to get on a LAA flight to see how things were done there pre-Oct 17. Plus give up a potentially free upgrade.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by skunker
Has it always been that way? It's been a while since I was EXP and I don't remember using stickers for my wife back then.
If either she or you had enough stickers in your accounts, they could just have been deducted silently. Happened to us a few times.

The only time you are truly guaranteed to hear about it is if the ug clears and you don't have enough stickers.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
???? EXPs need to use stickers for companions. I am often (but not always) traveling with someone in my same itinerary. They are useful for EXPs.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ACA321
Conclusion: it's obvious that the complimentary upgrades for all elites for flights under 500 miles are nothing more than a token gesture, even a phantom benefit.
I wouldn't call it Phantom. As a PLT, I have had good luck with PHX-LAX and LAS-LAX
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
My most commonly flown route is PHX-PDX at 1009 miles it requires 3 stickers. I flew it on the 17th; ugh that pissed me off using a sticker for 9 measly miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.