Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Sticker Shock" - earning / buying stickers / no more LUS UDU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Sticker shock" - Earning or Buying "Stickers" vs. LUS DM Unlimited Domestic Upgrades

This thread is for discussing "Sticker" / e500 "domestic" upgrade use in comparison to LUU "unlimited domestic upgrades" for all Dividend Miles status holders.

For e500 / "sticker" electronic "domestic" upgrade policies and discussion, please see the thread, and particularly the wiki, in: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrade Protocols / Questions
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select

I realized this has been briefly discussed in other forums, but I believe it merits a separate thread given what I see as the biggest change to the combined FF program...having to use 500-mile sticker upgrades on US flights for non EXP's.

As a steady (legacy AA) PLT who will likely never see the benefits of EXP again, I loved the recent complimentary upgrade system at US...getting upgraded on nearly every one of my US flights over the past year to/from LGA. Inferior service and comfort, but for a comp upgrade, what's to complain about? Nothing...

However, the thought of a)paying for stickers to sit up front and/or b) using my precious "earned" stickers on a US flight seems grossly unappealing. My feeling is that for legacy US fliers this is going to be true "sticker shock." Charging the same price for two very different products on AA vs US planes.

I welcome others input on this...maybe I'm overthinking the impact of this change, but for me and my routes, it's pretty material.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:52 am

As a long-time AA Plat, I have a huge pile of stickers I never get to use because the upgrades are so often taken by EXPs. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by falconred
As a long-time AA Plat, I have a huge pile of stickers I never get to use because the upgrades are so often taken by EXPs. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Well, that's not the case for me. I often need to purchase stickers to cover flights where upgrades go through. AUS-JFK, JFK-SJU and even LGA-DFW more often that I would have expected.

Maybe just the times and routes I fly, but the US system made me feel like EXP...always upgraded, always free.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Gone and not coming back. Expect to see UA and DL move away from freebie UG's for their lesser elites now that AA/US is complete.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
I realized this has been briefly discussed in other forums, but I believe it merits a separate thread given what I see as the biggest change to the combined FF program...having to use 500-mile sticker upgrades on US flights for non EXP's.

As a steady (legacy AA) PLT who will likely never see the benefits of EXP again, I loved the recent complimentary upgrade system at US...getting upgraded on nearly every one of my US flights over the past year to/from LGA. Inferior service and comfort, but for a comp upgrade, what's to complain about? Nothing...

However, the thought of a)paying for stickers to sit up front and/or b) using my precious "earned" stickers on a US flight seems grossly unappealing. My feeling is that for legacy US fliers this is going to be true "sticker shock." Charging the same price for two very different products on AA vs US planes.

I welcome others input on this...maybe I'm overthinking the impact of this change, but for me and my routes, it's pretty material.

I've taken the liberty of modifying your thread title to comply with the Rules <link> .

I do feel your pain, and it is a big change. The HP / US CEO made a number of changes when he took over managing the new American with his handpicked execs, such as last year eliminating the much beloved oneworld Explorer awards, complimentary stopovers at North America POE/POD, and adding several new and inflationary award tiers. He then chose to eliminate one LUS status tier, UDUs for those not CP / EP, and I suspect we may see more changes in the future.

Airlines modify their FFPs all the time - DL and UA, as I'm sure you know, now require a minimum spend; BA, CX and IB have made significant changes to their FFPs this year as well. All we can do here that has an effect is share our knowledge and experiences to try to enhance our travel experiences.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Given this new thread, I hope this is the right place to ask. As an EXP flying with my Gold wife, what is the best way to maximize the upgrades - so that I get comp-ed and she gets it via stickers?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Given this new thread, I hope this is the right place to ask. As an EXP flying with my Gold wife, what is the best way to maximize the upgrades - so that I get comp-ed and she gets it via stickers?
If you fly together on one PNR then she gets upgraded with you without stickers. Of course there has to be two seats or you must be willing to separate if there isn't.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
...getting upgraded on nearly every one of my US flights over the past year to/from LGA.
I think that would be a very rare statement to hear from any around here.

In any case, IMO, it totally makes sense to me.
If you were upgraded so easily in those routes, that means that demand for F in those particular flights is very WEAK, and AA might as well make some profit there and make you spend money.

I don't know about most elite flyers, but in my case, I always have more 500-mile upgrades (Stickers) than needed because as PLT or GLD I get stuck in the back of the bus more often than not. I would never pay for stickers for domestic F (unless for those flat LAX-JFK seats perhaps).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by skunker
If you fly together on one PNR then she gets upgraded with you without stickers. Of course there has to be two seats or you must be willing to separate if there isn't.
You might want to read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...stions-24.html. EXPs do not get free companion upgrades. 500-mile upgrades can be used for companions.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by apeortdz
There's some pretty good discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html as well.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I personally don't mind having to use stickers... I feel like it increases my likelihood of getting upgraded... However, I don't request an upgrade unless its a flight with a meal (over a meal period), its a long flight (i.e. ORD-west coast), or there's something special about first class on that flight (i.e. its a domestic flight being operated by a wide body with intl. business/first class). However, I can understand the dismay of coming from US where the upgrades were all free! But, and as others have mentioned, that is likely going to completely disappear in the near future for all those except the highest elites.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
One potential positive effect of "charging" for upgrades is it gives AA an extra revenue stream and gives the airline an incentive to improve F.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xero
One potential positive effect of "charging" for upgrades is it gives AA an extra revenue stream and gives the airline an incentive to improve F.
Haha! That's a good one.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
Gone and not coming back. Expect to see UA and DL move away from freebie UG's for their lesser elites now that AA/US is complete.
AFAIC they already have. I was a UA Gold until beginning of this year. Never got an upgrade ever. I am a current multi year DL Gold. I average 1 upgrade per year on DL, and those were on routes with 30 min flying time.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Xero
You do get 4 free 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 miles flown (BIS) so there is some cutting into the "revenue stream". Not that they bring in that much there.

Thinking any of that funding would make a difference in F, let alone be applied to F, is a stretch. A lot like baggage fees improved baggage handling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.