FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1716781-2016-program-year-elite-status-buyback-renew-boost-consolidated.html)

TravelLawyer Nov 19, 2015 9:04 am

I received zero offers, but I flew just under 10k miles this year so far.

Perche Nov 20, 2015 8:40 am

This is so insulting

I've been EXP for about 10 years. Hit 140,000 last year. This has been a slow year, I'm only at 88,000 at the moment, but I fly to Venice round trip tomorrow from JFK. The following week is round trip SFO-JFK, which will put me over 100,000 miles, and I have two more trips to Italy held but not yet ticketed for December.

Are they just giving away EXP status? I spent a heck of a lot more than $2,499 this year flying on AA.

"Your American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Executive Platinum benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Executive Platinum status for only $2,499. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more."

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am

IIRC there is a program that allows people to buy up to their current status if they will fall short (can't remember thresholds) this year. Since you have more travel to go this year the offer really won't apply to you. However, for someone that will end the year with 85-90K EQMs and has more money than time (to do MRs) and wants to extend EXP status for another year they might be willing to take AA up on it.

Perche Nov 20, 2015 8:55 am

Yes, but it seems as if they are just giving it away. Now, if this is in acknowledgment that I've been EXP for 10 years or so, great. But if you can now buy EXP for $2,499, that's a major devaluation.

arlflyer Nov 20, 2015 8:59 am

Not just anybody can walk up and buy this without ever having set foot on an AA aircraft.

This is a program targeted to a specific subset of customers who are falling short of the next level and are willing to pay the incremental out of pocket to get back up. Note that the price to pay it is often more than the price to fly it (MR). In your case you explain the reason right there - you are sitting on 88k miles flown, the system isn't smart enough to add in upcoming miles flown, and thus it thinks that you might not requal for EXP.

Don't be insulted.

Kate2015 Nov 20, 2015 8:59 am

Just got an offer for EXP status for $1799.

ravenalive Nov 20, 2015 9:00 am

i think you're misunderstanding. They don't "sell" Executive Platinum for $2,499. For someone who is already Executive Platinum but looks to be a few thousand miles short, they may extend an offer to you allowing you to pay $2,499 as an alternative to taking a few more flights. So if you're at 88,000, you could choose to pay $2,499 instead of doing additional trips to get up to 100,000. This is not something that would be offered to someone who isn't Executive Platinum already, nor would it be offered to someone who is Executive Platinum but only has 10,000 miles this year.

(At least that's my understanding.)

lazard Nov 20, 2015 9:02 am

as arlflyer said, those email offers are targeted to existing EXP members who are on track to fall just short of re-qualifying.

Microwave Nov 20, 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Perche (Post 25745560)
I've been EXP for about 10 years. Hit 140,000 last year. This has been a slow year, I'm only at 88,000 at the moment, but I fly to Venice round trip tomorrow from JFK. The following week is round trip SFO-JFK, which will put me over 100,000 miles, and I have two more trips to Italy held but not yet ticketed for December.

Are they just giving away EXP status? I spent a heck of a lot more than $2,499 this year flying on AA.

"Your American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Executive Platinum benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Executive Platinum status for only $2,499. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more."

As there's an existing thread discussing the buy-up/buyback programme, I'm merging this post and its replies in.

~Moderator

JMN57 Nov 20, 2015 9:15 am

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

My offer was for $1199. Moot as I requalified Wednesday.

The amount is scaled to how far you have to go given current values and doesn't anticipate what you have booked.

sdix Nov 20, 2015 9:24 am

My son who is Plat now got a Gold offer for $499 or Plat for $1199. Looks like a hard drop from Plat to nothing if he doesn't pay. Same for my wife.

I'm exp but no offer to keep only a Plat offer however I'm Lifetime Plat so at least I have that :)

Kate2015 Nov 20, 2015 9:38 am

Originally Posted by lazard (Post 25745684)
as arlflyer said, those email offers are targeted to existing EXP members who are on track to fall just short of re-qualifying.

And some of us PLT's too, apparently. I didn't realize you could boost to EXP, having never been EXP before.

quattroking Nov 20, 2015 9:46 am

My offer just came through although I won't need it as I will renew EXP after Thanksgiving with the 500-mile minimum EQM.

Your American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Executive Platinum benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Executive Platinum status for only $1,199. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more. See a full list of benefits >>

eshkr Nov 20, 2015 9:48 am

I am shy of EXP qualification by 1100 miles. Just got an offer to buy EXP 2016 for $1799. I already have a couple of flights in Dec and will qualify. Even if I didn't, I would def. not spend $1799. Instead there are so many flights I can find for less than $100, which would easily yield around 2K miles.

Of course depending on where one is with EXP qualification, this might be a good deal.

oopsz Nov 20, 2015 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Kate2015 (Post 25745853)
And some of us PLT's too, apparently. I didn't realize you could boost to EXP, having never been EXP before.

Requaled for Plat (on a JFK-LAX paid F), the site says I'm not eligible for a buyup offer this year. I'm at about 70k and will end the year at 75k.