FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1716781-2016-program-year-elite-status-buyback-renew-boost-consolidated.html)

Microwave Mar 1, 2016 10:45 am

Originally Posted by LTH (Post 26267114)
How many of you are paying to boost your status for the year? How much are you paying? Why did you decide to pay?

Debating if I should dig out $2500 to boost to EXP. I was slightly more than 15k EQMs short for qualification this year, but they are letting me anyway. I know the decision depends on my upcoming travel pattern for the year, but I'm just hoping to see other people's rationale.

Going to move this to the extant 2016 status year boost thread.

~Moderator

Microwave Mar 1, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44 (Post 26266800)
Paid to boost my status to EXP after a frustrating mishap end of last year. Anyway, I have already paid for it but today logging into my AA account shows me as Platinum instead of EXP. Any idea how long it takes for the purchased boost to change your status?

Edit: Apparently FAQs say within 5 days, sorry.

I'm going to shift this into the extant boost thread to avoid Balkanisation of information.

~Moderator

ttsd2006 Mar 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Paying for EXP elite requalification

In 2015 I fell about 5K EQMs short and did not requalify for EXP. AA has been emailing me to pay nearly $1800 for maintaining my EXP status. If there has been a previous discussion on this topic can someone please point me to the master thread?

Madison Guy Mar 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ttsd2006 (Post 26406752)
In 2015 I fell about 5K EQMs short and did not requalify for EXP. AA has been emailing me to pay nearly $1800 for maintaining my EXP status. If there has been a previous discussion on this topic can someone please point me to the master thread?

Trouble using search? Try this. Or, direct from AA, this.

vasantn Mar 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ttsd2006 (Post 26406752)

I'm not sure how the discussion will help. Either you pay and keep your status, or not pay and lose it. I can guarantee that no exception will be made.

Separately, falling 5K short of EXP can get you booted off FT. But since this is your first post after having been a member for 8 years, we might be able to get you an exception. ;)

controller1 Mar 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 26406834)
I'm not sure how the discussion will help. Either you pay and keep your status, or not pay and lose it. I can guarantee that no exception will be made.

Separately, falling 5K short of EXP can get you booted off FT. But since this is your first post after having been a member for 8 years, we might be able to get you an exception. ;)

Yes, the discussion will not help. It will center on criticism of not knowing exactly where one stands to achieving EXP and the inexpensive (less than $1,800) ways EXP could have been achieved with the proper planning! ;)

Microwave Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm

As this programme for 2016 is gone and dead, I've closed this thread.

Discussions of what may come for 2017 have been moved to a new thread here:
2017 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

~Moderator

oysterhead43 Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm

You've been an EXP, so you know the benefits and your situation will decide the value.

I'd say it's all about common routes and how you'd use the SWUs.
  • If your common routes frequently clear free UPG, that has real value.
  • If you plan to use SWUs for long-haul flights (like LAX-SYD) that has real value. I cleared SWUs on a RT to SYD and the difference in coach and business fare was WAY more than $1800.

Plus the award miles bonus.

This WAG places EXP at $4600 more valuable than PLT.
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/12/what...-status-worth/