Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You don't have 2 hours if you have luggage and these are separate tickets.

You have 2 hours less the UA bag drop cut off which I think is an hour for international flights. Even less if your JAX flight is delayed.

No way would I book this.
Thank you for this. I agree with you. I don't have luggage (carry on all the way) but it's too much stress missing the international flight. esp now there are less flights so not like I can just wait/ catch the next one.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:06 pm

AA changed our, trip to Athens in June. The connection time in ORD is now 58 minutes. ASE-ORD-ATH. Is this enough time?
The Wiki says international AA flights leave from concourse K (is that still true?), but since the ORD-ATH flight is not flying now I can't be sure of that. .

The only option I see is having AA change the ASE-ORD for the previous day and stay the night. Will call tomorrow. One ticket is with miles, one paid.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by achevres
AA changed our, trip to Athens in June. The connection time in ORD is now 58 minutes. ASE-ORD-ATH. Is this enough time?
The Wiki says international AA flights leave from concourse K (is that still true?), but since the ORD-ATH flight is not flying now I can't be sure of that. .

The only option I see is having AA change the ASE-ORD for the previous day and stay the night. Will call tomorrow. One ticket is with miles, one paid.

Any advice? Thanks!
Yes, 58 mins should plenty of time, assuming things are on time. Obviously not a lot of extra time for lounges, food or bathroom breaks, etc., but certainly enough for the connection.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Any advice? Thanks!
Looks like ASE-ORD is an American Eagle flight operated by a CR7. You'll likely arrive to the G concourse - a 15-minute "worst case scenario" walk to the international departures in K. I'd try not to bring a large carry-on that would have to be valet checked. If everything is on time, you are fine, but if your flight is running late, the extra 10 min waiting for the carry-ons to be delivered could be the difference between making the connection and overnighting in Chicago.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
Looks like ASE-ORD is an American Eagle flight operated by a CR7. You'll likely arrive to the G concourse - a 15-minute "worst case scenario" walk to the international departures in K. I'd try not to bring a large carry-on that would have to be valet checked. If everything is on time, you are fine, but if your flight is running late, the extra 10 min waiting for the carry-ons to be delivered could be the difference between making the connection and overnighting in Chicago.
This is helpful. Flights from ASE are a crapshoot, but often they even get in early, since the flight time is overestimated. If they leave on time, that is.
Never a gate check on a tight connection, of course. I still would feel better overnighting the night before. There are no earlier flights to ORD on any airline on the day.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:10 pm

Follow-up

Found there is a flight later on the day before, within the 23:59 layover window. Called AA to change the the award ticket, agent said that the level above her could change my ticket, but that I should call Expedia first to change the paid ticket (Chase UR redemption). Called Chase/Expedia and after a long call, where the Expedia agent finally got through to AA, they could not allow Expedia to split the ASE-ORD leg out for the previous day without charging extra. But, they gave me permission to call AA directly about this ticket. Called AA back, this time they could work on both flights. The agent had to call the next level up again. This call took at least 1/2 hour (convince them for the day before, insist on 1st class, because there was room, etc.). In the end they did split the leg out for the day before without extra charges. Phew. I got a lot done on the computer in the meantime, lol. Now, waiting to see if Greece does open as planned!
SamirD likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
How often do the landside buses T5-T3 run now and in the summer? I have a an 85-min connection and I am bit nervous about it...I have GE, flying J, but I also have a checked bag, and I am concerned about any long lines in customs checks, delays in the transfer bus, or busy TSA lines at T3. I arrive at 1:30pm at T5, in July.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found there is a flight later on the day before, within the 23:59 layover window. Called AA to change the the award ticket, agent said that the level above her could change my ticket, but that I should call Expedia first to change the paid ticket (Chase UR redemption). Called Chase/Expedia and after a long call, where the Expedia agent finally got through to AA, they could not allow Expedia to split the ASE-ORD leg out for the previous day without charging extra. But, they gave me permission to call AA directly about this ticket. Called AA back, this time they could work on both flights. The agent had to call the next level up again. This call took at least 1/2 hour (convince them for the day before, insist on 1st class, because there was room, etc.). In the end they did split the leg out for the day before without extra charges. Phew. I got a lot done on the computer in the meantime, lol. Now, waiting to see if Greece does open as planned!
While you had been waiting for it Greece opened on April 19, three days before...
Old May 27, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
I just found myself rebooked by BA onto ATH-ORD-DFW with a 1:25 connection time this July (good news in that now I can sit MCE and have a luggage allowance for my BE ticket, but bad news for a seemingly unrealistic connection window). My wife and I have Global Entry, but our kids don't. Should I just expect to mis-connect from the outset in ORD, or does have anyone have any ideas on how to increase the odds of making our second leg home other than hoping for a tailwind from Europe?
Old May 27, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stewlevine
I just found myself rebooked by BA onto ATH-ORD-DFW with a 1:25 connection time this July (good news in that now I can sit MCE and have a luggage allowance for my BE ticket, but bad news for a seemingly unrealistic connection window). My wife and I have Global Entry, but our kids don't. Should I just expect to mis-connect from the outset in ORD, or does have anyone have any ideas on how to increase the odds of making our second leg home other than hoping for a tailwind from Europe?
My guess is you're flying into T5. Then you have to wait for your luggage, clear customs/immigration, take a bus to T3, re-clear security, then head to your gate. None of that goes fast at ORD.
I hate to say it - but you'd be really lucky to make your connection. Definately have a list of alternate flights scoped out.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by skydve1
My guess is you're flying into T5. Then you have to wait for your luggage, clear customs/immigration, take a bus to T3, re-clear security, then head to your gate. None of that goes fast at ORD.
I hate to say it - but you'd be really lucky to make your connection. Definately have a list of alternate flights scoped out.
Yeah, not sure I want to tell the family that we will be lucky to make it home when we are supposed to. The alternative was accepting BA's earlier flight out of ATH and having a long connect in LHR and dealing with both UK and US Covid protocols on the way home. I know there should be a few more flights ORD-DFW that day assuming we mis-connect, hopefully July load factors won't cause an issue getting home. Kind of surprised this was a valid connect time that I got offered up (granted by BA, not AA) and at least we are flying AA the whole way so I won't have to worry about two airlines pointing fingers at each other if we do misconnect.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yeah, not sure I want to tell the family that we will be lucky to make it home when we are supposed to. The alternative was accepting BA's earlier flight out of ATH and having a long connect in LHR and dealing with both UK and US Covid protocols on the way home. I know there should be a few more flights ORD-DFW that day assuming we mis-connect, hopefully July load factors won't cause an issue getting home. Kind of surprised this was a valid connect time that I got offered up (granted by BA, not AA) and at least we are flying AA the whole way so I won't have to worry about two airlines pointing fingers at each other if we do misconnect.
.Good luck!
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by skydve1; May 27, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Old May 27, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps you can call AA and BA to see if they can rebook you on a later flight that night, if there is one? Probably AA wont touch a BA ticket, but you never know...Do your research first. I was in a similar scenario and opted to overnight in JFK, to avoid the 1:30 connection at ORD T5-T3.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
If you want to spend some money and they have the 'five star' or whatever the name is connection service, I think that would guarantee you make the connection--for a price.
Old May 28, 2021, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Which flight has changed?

Whatever it is though it will sort itself out in the next couple of days and you should be auto rebooked onto a compliant itinerary.when BAs and AAs systems sort themselves out.

If nothing has been sorted automatically by the middle of next then that's when I would phone. In the meantime look at some more compliant connections that suit you.

This is pretty normal stuff when flights changed. Their immediate priority is to rebook your cancelled flight - especually long haul legs - and then to sort out any connections.

Last year I was due to fly DUB-LCY-JFK-SFO

The LCY flight was cancelled and I was auto rebooked onto a similar timed flight ex LHR. Of couse at that point I was still flying into LCY and had negative time to get to LHR.

Rather than panic I left it a few days and it sorted themselves out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.