Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by fedechat
Or the hacker knowns OP's information? or once it was hacked the first time, he took a look the activity and with that information he was able to reset the password (again) by just calling AA Advantage CS?.
I believe a fair amount of this info can be available from some of the hacks. The hackers are becoming increasingly skilled at social engineering and using multiple sources to obtain the additional information.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I believe a fair amount of this info can be available from some of the hacks. The hackers are becoming increasingly skilled at social engineering and using multiple sources to obtain the additional information.
Never, never, never give the correct answers to those questions. Too much is available online that the answers can usually be found pretty quickly. My choice is to pick a word in the question and spell it backwards, or drop the vowels, or translate to numbers. Just pick the same process, don't write down the process/answers, and change it up from time to time. The more valuable the account the more often you change it up. I may not care if they hack my SuperCuts account, but absolutely care about my AA account!
serfty likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by skunker
He said in the OP that the reservation was through AAVacations using his miles.
Yes, and it was probably some sleazeball broker that booked the rez for someone that couldn't pass up the 50% off published rate offer. This results in two victims, the account owner and the guest. The real criminal some obscure email address easily abandoned once the transaction is paid.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, and it was probably some sleazeball broker that booked the rez for someone that couldn't pass up the 50% off published rate offer. This results in two victims, the account owner and the guest. The real criminal some obscure email address easily abandoned once the transaction is paid.
I'm not so sure I'd call the "guest" a victim. If someone is buying travel services from some sketchy outfit for half or less of the usual retail cost, they're either aware or should be suspicious. Until proven otherwise, I wouldn't just assume that the "buyer" is naive. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is fraudulent in some sense. Airplane tickets, rental cars, and hotel stays don't fall off of trucks.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a sucker born...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not so sure I'd call the "guest" a victim. If someone is buying travel services from some sketchy outfit for half or less of the usual retail cost, they're either aware or should be suspicious. Until proven otherwise, I wouldn't just assume that the "buyer" is naive. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is fraudulent in some sense. Airplane tickets, rental cars, and hotel stays don't fall off of trucks.
Yes, those of us that travel a lot learn what to look out for. But as we know there are plenty of people that don't know what to look for. And we know these sleazebags are very good about making their offer look too good to pass up. I'm willing to cut "some" slack for the guest until proven otherwise. I'll bet this was probably an aspirational trip and not just another night in a hotel like it is for most of us.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given mistake fares, cheap fare sales, different prices on different versions of the same company's websites, etc., it can be difficult to know what's "too good to be true".
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, those of us that travel a lot learn what to look out for. But as we know there are plenty of people that don't know what to look for. And we know these sleazebags are very good about making their offer look too good to pass up. I'm willing to cut "some" slack for the guest until proven otherwise. I'll bet this was probably an aspirational trip and not just another night in a hotel like it is for most of us.
Originally Posted by richarddd
Given mistake fares, cheap fare sales, different prices on different versions of the same company's websites, etc., it can be difficult to know what's "too good to be true".
I agree for the most part. That said, I think we'd need to hear a bit more from supermariogm before it even makes sense to go down that path.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well ... perhaps if one is buying a fare from an obviously reputable source ... direct from the airline or hotel, expedia/orbitz/booking/priceline, etc.

Otherwise, to the extent this is a real issue with this poster, its scammers on top of scammers.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well ... perhaps if one is buying a fare from an obviously reputable source ... direct from the airline or hotel, expedia/orbitz/booking/priceline, etc.

Otherwise, to the extent this is a real issue with this poster, its scammers on top of scammers.
I tend to agree with that.

The buyer obviously have compared prices thru the usual places such as Expedia and Google flights then decided to go for this "bargain" from whoever s/he found offering such.

Cannot say the buyer is 100% innocent. Anytime something is much below the ongoing market price should raise red flag to the buyer. If s/he still decides to buy it (take a chance) then s/he cannot claim being victimized.

Loyalty accounts of both airlines and hotel groups being hacked is an ongoing issue. All one needs to check is to get on the Chinese sites such as Taobao (Alibaba). For example, IHG account name and number is being sold at $30 a night, thanks to IHG group phone reservations only need Name and Account number of the owner. Plenty of fraudulent free nights booked, including the Chase free night certs! Go check out the thread in IHG forum (and also happened to other hotel groups too) on FT, you will realize that selling fraudulently obtained loyalty program information is rampant in mainland China. Many such information are readily available, such as boarding pass and hotel check in. Dont even need online hack. For the hotel loyalty accounts, some people even take the drastic precaution to book award nights very far out in the future so there are not much left in the account to be stolen. Cannot do this with airline programs without incur charges unless one is top elite.
george 3 likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 15, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:36 pm

Then the problem would seem to be buying from anything other than an obviously reputable source, whatever the pricing might be.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I tend to agree with that.

The buyer obviously have compared prices thru the usual places such as Expedia and Google flights then decided to go for this "bargain" from whoever s/he found offering such.

Cannot say the buyer is 100% innocent. Anytime something is much below the ongoing market price should raise red flag to the buyer. If s/he still decides to buy it (take a chance) then s/he cannot claim being victimized.

Loyalty accounts of both airlines and hotel groups being hacked is an ongoing issue. All one needs to check is to get on the Chinese sites such as Taobao (Alibaba). For example, IHG account name and number is being sold at $30 a night, thanks to IHG group phone reservations only need Name and Account number of the owner. Plenty of fraudulent free nights booked, including the Chase free night certs! Go check out the thread in IHG forum (and also happened to other hotel groups too) on FT, you will realize that selling fraudulently obtained loyalty program information is rampant in mainland China. Many such information are readily available, such as boarding pass and hotel check in. Dont even need online hack. For the hotel loyalty accounts, some people even take the drastic precaution to book award nights very far out in the future so there are not much left in the account to be stolen. Cannot do this with airline programs without incur charges unless one is top elite.
Ok, guys, cool your jets. We have no idea who the guest is (the actual thief or a third-party), how they got the reservation (someone they know or OTA-like website or CraigsList), how much they paid (market or cut-rate). Until that is disclosed we are just guessing (me included). Most likely we will never know.

To me, the bottom line is we need to take precautions to protect our accounts if we perceive value from the loyalty programs. And, as I advise my friends, burn the points/miles as quickly as possible. Their value will never be more than they are today.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
While true, I can still see them forwarding the OP to the other jurisdiction if they find the hack originated out of state.
Having had one similar if not exactly the same occurrence, I'm surprised, perhaps pleasantly surprised. the Florida PD is interested.The more normal occurrence is you file an online local police report, get a case number, never see a live person, and never hear anything again because this is so minor it does not ever come near the top of the inbox.

But you do have a police report to turn in and in theory get your miles back soon. Just don't expect a real time resolution.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:15 pm

Then the problem would seem to be buying from anything other than an obviously reputable source, whatever the pricing might be.
Why would someone buy anything from someone that wasn't an obviously reputable source?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:05 am

Of interest, in my Uncle's case he did call his local Police Department and they worked with the Police Department where the reservation was made Los Angeles.

AA did give him back his miles though it took a fairly long while and at first they were sort of accusatory which I understand from this thread is par for the course.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Why would someone buy anything from someone that wasn't an obviously reputable source?
Because there's always someone who is greedy and wants a freebie or discount so much they'll undertake risk and hope for the best.

Kind of like Lee S., the guy who showed me the Omega watch he bought for a couple of hundred bucks in a pub from a guy down on his luck. It wasn't keeping time properly and hefigured he'd take it to a shop and have it cleaned and tuned, but his wife had a loupe I could borrow (we were in their antiques shop). The loupe revealed the watch brand was in fact "Ornega". You can get those in China or Hongkers for $12.00 US.
Jaimito Cartero and george 3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.