Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Since it seems there's so much to discuss (with no end in sight), could we please move all the linen discussion to the Linen Discussion thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-service.html
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat United Premier Silver Hilton Diamond Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
This is an entirely serious question: what is with the obsession with linens?
you are literally my hero. <redacted overpersonalizing and overly broad brush statement> PMUS staff was SIGNIFICANTLY nicer. PMUS did PDBs too. And yet we have to blame "dougie". I mean idk if im the only one but im over all the griping. I dont care about linens. They mean nothing. They sit under a huge tray thus serving no real purpose. People just need to chill and appreciate the benefits that have come thus far from the merger. Catering took a huge step forward on 8/1 no doubt. work to do but everything is heading in a positive direction

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 8:48 pm Reason: Read http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#gettingpersonal please
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:25 am

please, let's not taint the linen thread with discussions about mints that clearly need their own mint thread
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
please, let's not taint the linen thread with discussions about mints that clearly need their own mint thread
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wait for it......pre-set linens on top of the tray made an appearance this morning on CLT-DEN! I took a pic and will post later but wanted to alert the masses lol. Strangely the tacky liner was still beneath the linen but not visible.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wait for it......pre-set linens on top of the tray made an appearance this morning on CLT-DEN! I took a pic and will post later but wanted to alert the masses lol. Strangely the tacky liner was still beneath the linen but not visible.
I only wish I had been seated and calm when I read this... "Quick, honey! Bring me my nitro!"
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Got black linens tonight on PHX - CLT. The odd thing that stuck out to me was the fact that the linens were not even close to being the correct size of the A321 tray table, at least in 1F. They were wide enough (almost too wide) but not even close to being long enough.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Got black linens tonight on PHX - CLT. The odd thing that stuck out to me was the fact that the linens were not even close to being the correct size of the A321 tray table, at least in 1F. They were wide enough (almost too wide) but not even close to being long enough.
Those US A321 tray tables are just stupid in size/shape. They're very long but have less width than your typical Y table. The first time I used one I remember looking for the other half thinking it was something like the NGBC table, but never was able to find it. I don't even know how they fit a meal tray on there.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a very long time, one linen was placed directly on your tray table - the FAs would walk thru the cabin with several on their arms and that was the signal to retrieve your tray table. The linen thus served as a table cloth. Appetizers and salads were served on the table cloth.

If the meal was served on a plastic tray (frequently the case in business class and domestic F (not 3-class F), then the plastic tray had a pre-set linen covering the tray (with all elements on top of that linen).

Then, when the plastic tray was retrieved by the FA, there was still a dark navy linen tablecloth on your tray table for the desert course. After your ice cream sundae or fruit/cheese, the FAs would retrieve the table cloth along with the napkin (securely held in place by the top button on your top via the buttonhole in the napkin.

Premium cabins thus used a lot of polyester "linens," but the presentation was certainly first class, even if the food wasn't.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FWAAA
For a very long time, one linen was placed directly on your tray table - the FAs would walk thru the cabin with several on their arms and that was the signal to retrieve your tray table. The linen thus served as a table cloth. Appetizers and salads were served on the table cloth.

If the meal was served on a plastic tray (frequently the case in business class and domestic F (not 3-class F), then the plastic tray had a pre-set linen covering the tray (with all elements on top of that linen).

Then, when the plastic tray was retrieved by the FA, there was still a dark navy linen tablecloth on your tray table for the desert course. After your ice cream sundae or fruit/cheese, the FAs would retrieve the table cloth along with the napkin (securely held in place by the top button on your top via the buttonhole in the napkin.

Premium cabins thus used a lot of polyester "linens," but the presentation was certainly first class, even if the food wasn't.
Huh?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:26 am

IMO the use of the term "mental institution" speaks volumes and the obsession with the whole notion of not getting one's due respect and service on an aircraft makes me wonder what the meal service in the homes of some of these minor territory complainers is like.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bootman4U
IMO the use of the term "mental institution" speaks volumes and the obsession with the whole notion of not getting one's due respect and service on an aircraft makes me wonder what the meal service in the homes of some of these minor territory complainers is like.
A) I certainly don't eat off a plastic hospital tray in my home.
B) I don't pay $700 to eat dinner in my home.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Ohh? Do share a picture!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Bootman4U
IMO the use of the term " makes me wonder what the meal service in the homes of some of these minor territory complainers is like.
I have not been one of the "minor territpry complainers" but would like to share that many people do use tablecloths and cloth napkins for every day use. Our table is usually set with a tablecloth, placemats, and cloth napkins (ours do not have buton holes). We have raised three children (now all in their 20's) this way. It is partly for asthetic reasons and partly because we prefer the feel of cloth napkins over paper napkins.

I did notice the change in linen service in premium cabin but did not complain about it. Since I took my first international flight in 1972 I have watched the steady decline in quality of service so this didn't phase me. I have also noticed a steady improvement of the quality of premium seating. I am more interested in the seat than in the meals service.

Last edited by DevilDawg1960; Aug 23, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Ohh? Do share a picture!
Just posted in the 2015 meal thread.....don't think I can post it here too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.