Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Generally speaking, yes. This is one point where I am fully behind the PMAA crowd. I've taken a look at many of the pre-9/1/14 meals. AA's food wasn't gourmet and certainly not 5 star. But the small little things that AA did to enhance the appearance, such as pre-set linens, the fancy napkin holder, real salt and pepper shakers, dressing in ramekins, etc etc went a long way towards enhancing the perceived quality of the meal. In this case the sum of the parts. This is something Hector and the current team don't really seem to understand.
I think it comes down to Hector fearing his boss Parker.

Before the merger, Hector implemented a lot of nice changes to the international Envoy Class product so I don't think that it is a matter of him not being skilled or lacking an understanding of customer demands, but rather, that Parker is enforcing a specific budget on him now that he is running the world's biggest airline.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by fly747first
I think it comes down to Hector fearing his boss Parker.

Before the merger, Hector implemented a lot of nice changes to the international Envoy Class product so I don't think that it is a matter of him not being skilled or lacking an understanding of customer demands, but rather, that Parker is enforcing a specific budget on him now that he is running the world's biggest airline.
But why would they say at the press release back in May/June that pre-set linens (and linens in general) were coming back?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
But why would they say at the press release back in May/June that pre-set linens (and linens in general) were coming back?
You have a link to that??
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You have a link to that??
Pretty easy to see the linen on every tray they showed at the press event. Clearly they know that's the way it should be if that's the way they presented it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Pretty easy to see the linen on every tray they showed at the press event. Clearly they know that's the way it should be if that's the way they presented it.
You're confused again.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Confused or mislead....hmmmmm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
I'm guessing the linens issue is a troll joke.

En route, this linen issue is exactly trivial. I understand that linens might be a physical mataphor for customer service writ large but surely the content and quality of those food plates and bowls is the real issue. Surely no one who really travels gives much of a hoot about the "linens" beyond having a really good napkin.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're confused again.
Please elaborate. Unless we looked at photos from two different press conferences...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
What's a mataphor?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
What's a mataphor?
It's kind of like a matador, except instead of fighting bulls they fight pheasants. Hence the PH.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Coming from Parker, this really should not be surprising at all. Before the merger several years ago, US Airways published " fall changes" that were supposed to enhance domestic First Class right on its web site. Then suddenly, that was removed and no changes were able made... US Airways' domestic F remained pretty spartan without even having proper glassware up until the merger.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Coming from Parker, this really should not be surprising at all. Before the merger several years ago, US Airways published " fall changes" that were supposed to enhance domestic First Class right on its web site. Then suddenly, that was removed and no changes were able made... US Airways' domestic F remained pretty spartan without even having proper glassware up until the merger.
Yeah, but how do you explain the CLT-DEN flight referenced above? That flight got pre-set linens. That's what leads me to think that it's a miscommunication somewhere, and catering is dropping the ball.

Plus, not only that, but many flights ARE getting linens - they're just not being set by the FA's on the tray tables and not being pre-set. If Doug broke the press conference's promise to reinstate linens, no flights would be getting linens at all, period. pmUS didn't have linens on their flights at all - sitting around or being pre-set. So, based on that information, and the press conference, it seems like someone isn't doing their job/catering is dropping the ball.

The question is: what can we do?

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Aug 25, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but how do you explain the CLT-DEN flight referenced above? That flight got pre-set linens. That's what leads me to think that it's a miscommunication somewhere, and catering is dropping the ball.
Not only is catering dropping the ball, but whoever is supposed to be overseeing that operation isn't doing their job.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Glassware had returned to all flights 3.5 hours and longer on 5/1/11. Granted, it should have been on all flights in F regardless of length.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cmd320
Not only is catering dropping the ball, but whoever is supposed to be overseeing that operation isn't doing their job.
I was in First on an AA DFW-RDU lunch flight today...lunch was served on trays with the paper liner and no linens. Shortly afterward, the person seated next to me managed to hit my wine glass and spill it on my pants (white wine luckily!).

Guess what the FA brought me to wipe off the wine...black linens! So, at least on this flight, the linens were stocked, but the FA chose not to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.