Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How Bad is AA/US baggage handling right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Thumbs down How Bad is AA/US baggage handling right now?

Sometimes I like to check my bags, especially if I'm going to a smaller airport where I'd have to valet check them anyway ... yesterday I had bought some presents for my kids and my bag was way to fat to fit in an overhead, so I checked it ...

So, my last four times checking bags on AA/US:

February 11 - MCI-ORD-FNT, they lost my bag and despite a phone call that my bag 'had arrived' in fact it was still in ORD, it literally made it on the flight coming in to FNT that was the aircraft I flew out on, so the agent was able to tag my bag to return immediately home. AA's phone notification system called me approximately 30 times to give me updates that provided no information over the next few months, first as they tried to find my bag, then as they processed a reimbursement for some clothes I had to purchase (it was February in Michigan and I had no coat).

May 25 - MCI-DFW-LIT, thunderstorms rolled through DFW and LIT and I ended up spending the night in DFW, my bag did not arrive with me in LIT but came later in the day. AA's phone notification system provided several useless updates throughout the process, though not as many as in February. This one is understandable admittedly on its own, but still part of a problematic pattern.

August 11 - FNT-ORD-CLT-ORF, spent two hours each in ORD and CLT (CLT-ORF flight was delayed), arrived in ORF and no bag. Received this delivery notification overnight:
Originally Posted by WheresMySuitcase.com
Our driver delivered your baggage on 08/12/2015 at 5:24 AM

If you have not received your baggage, please contact us immediately.

Delivery Summary

Delivery Method: In Person
Baggage Picked Up: 08/12/2015 9:00 AM
Baggage Assigned To Driver: 08/12/2015 5:24 AM
Baggage Delivered: 08/12/2015 5:24 AM
The information is nonsensical and false, so I contacted them immediately because my hotel assured me the bag had not been delivered. Their response was:
Originally Posted by WheresMySuitcase.com
Thank you for contacting Where's My Suitcase Customer Service. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Our system shows that your luggage was delivered to your hotel on 8-11-15 at 5:24 AM. Please check with both the bell desk and the front desk of your hotel for your luggage as well as any areas that luggage may be stored. If you or your hotel have not yet received your luggage, please contact us again so that we may resolve the issue.
I called US Airways and they connected me with a lovely woman in the baggage office who said my bag was sitting in front of her, and she could have it delivered immediately. You could probably understand why I wanted nothing to do with the fraudulent baggage delivery service, so I told her I would come pick it up in person, she provided me the direct phone number so that she could bring my bag to me at the curb and I didn't even need to park. ^

August 12 - ORF-CLT-ORD-MCI, You might think I should have learned my lesson by now. But as I mentioned, I had bought some gifts that had my roll aboard fully expanded and there was no way it was fitting in an overhead. Besides, what are the chances they lose my bag two nights in a row? The flights were uneventful, my layovers at each airport were over an hour, sufficient time for a bag to make a connection. They still have not found my bag ...

I'm at my wits end. My most recent trip was a in part to help me requalify for Platinum this year, but now I'm questioning if I should even be flying AA/US at all if they can not be trusted to check bags.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
It's due to your username. At least, I assume it's pronounced Bag-less?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
It's due to your username. At least, I assume it's pronounced Bag-less?
Groan ... don't quit your day job!

As a follow up I only got one useless phone call from AA, a call telling me my bag was scheduled to be picked up for delivery to me ... the call came after my bag had already been delivered.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold

My rule never check a bag unless you are ready not to see it again
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Look for years of data on poor baggage performance by American Eagle/Envoy. Lost/delayed bags isn't at all a new phenomenon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.