Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help Suing AA in Small Claims Please [denied boarding - weight restricted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Suing AA in Small Claims Please [denied boarding - weight restricted]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by yourreturn
My questions:
Do I have a case I can win in small claims court?
No.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by djk7
This really just means that DOT mandated compensation is not due. The OP can certainly still sue. That doesn't mean they have much chance of prevailing, but anything is possible.
This notion that people should "just sue" without a claim is exactly what's wrong with our legal system.

Bottom line is that the absolute most OP gets if he were to sue and win -- which he won't -- is some token for the value of 1/2-day of some workshop. No idea what that cost, but if it's a 2-day workshop, he gets 25% of what he paid. Can't be that much.

For those who think that AA won't defend, they simply don't understand. Operating businesses understand that they are marks. AA will gladly spend $2,600 to defend a $1,300 claim, particularly when some paralegal in Fort Worth can generate a removal notice to federal court -- as he likely does 100x/day.

All they or any carrier needs is some article about how easy it is to get a default, so they don't let it happen.

When do they settle? When they look at the facts and figure that customer service screwed up and should have paid earlier.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I agree with the above whole-heartedly. Even if AA hires a schmoe lawyer to defend an improperly filed suit, it is still going to cost on the order of $1-2k, minimum. More than likely they will just settle by offering you some compensation. I can't tell you how many times on small matters I have said I'm going to sue (as a plaintiff) or go ahead and sue me (as a defendant) and the other side gives up. The reality is that litigating costs money (even if your case is a 100% winner) and they can probably get out cheaper by offering you a voucher.

Now, the other side of the coin is that some businesses take a stance of "we'll litigate this regardless of the cost to avoid a deluge of similar nuisance suits." It's possible that AA would do this, but I think it unlikely for two reasons. First, litigation fees are real, hard cash, whereas vouchers are just paper money. Second, I suspect that AA is just trying to keep costs as low as possible and isn't out to make a point here (I wouldn't think these types of suits are all that common--most people here apparently wouldn't file one).
As a defense lawyer, I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Large companies constantly throw good money at bad money in these instances. The instances where parties walk away due to the cost of litigation are usually when you are dealing with small companies or companies who seek to protect their reputation among their customers (i.e., the customer is always right approach, so let's do what we have to to make them happy even though they've filed this suit) - not when you're dealing with large companies like AA. Not to mention most firms will cut big clients a break on small claims cases because they know they will make up the time/money in other bigger matters.

Last edited by aves17; Aug 5, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
First, let me state that I am not a lawyer.

Second, when we schedule travel, we must accept that things will occasionally go sideways. If they do, we must make a rational, informed decision as to how to proceed. You can always declare "a trip in vain" and get your money back at some point, if you are not going to make a 1-day workshop/conference/wedding/event. In the future, if you NEED to be at such an event, please consider leaving the day before to try to avoid this type of situation.

I would suggest politely contacting customer service, succinctly explaining the situation, and asking for adequate compensation.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
IANAL.

IMHO, if I were the OP, I would still file the case even I have no chance to win. Once the case has filed, unless both sides settle, only the court has the final say on the merits. It is within OP's rights to do whatever he/she wants regardless what we all said here. But bottom line, only a judge can say OP has a case or not.

Also, filing a case does not mean starting a war. In fact, in many instances, the filing actually helps bringing both sides to the same table to work out the problems. And many companies work out problems with the plaintiffs regardless of merits.

However, OP should keep in mind a key point - being reasonable. Of course, airlines could potentially cost you ToDs for something really stupid. It does not mean you are entitled to recover those ToDs spent. If OP believes that he/she is entitled for IDB compensation, IMHO, this should be the amount in question, nothing more and nothing less.

Absolutely not.

How do I get copies of the flight information to prove this flight is regularly weight restricted? I want to argue that since the weight restriction is a common occurrence, that I am due denied boarding compensation because it is not "just the weather."
1. Through Discovery. However, discovery rules for Small Claims courts are more trickier than typical litigation.

2. You are not due IDB compensation anyway as the route serves by an exempted aircraft.

How do I argue this case, laws violated?
This happened in Virginia, so they may have violated state laws as well?
ADA (Airline Deregulation Act) preempts all state claims related to prices, routes, or services of an airline.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The customer service offered me a 200 voucher. Agreed that it was a bad experience and should not have happened. But in no way was going to be otherwise responsible for the situation.
Should have taken the $200 voucher, as AA owes you nothing.

As others have said, no. You have no case, not in small claims court nor federal district court.

Situations like these are learning opportunities. If it's really important to be there, then getting there the evening before is the best advice.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
To all who " chided" OP for going on the DAY OF, one has to consider the time lost at work due to travel day before, hotel, meals, car expenses over and above Day of event has to be factored in, the company or person may not allow this.

A follow up question

For those more experienced, does AA or other airlines retaliate against those who sue them viv a vis, cancel their FF account ?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:55 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Even if you file in small claims court, the other side still has option to ask for the case to go to a civil division court. This makes it possible for their lawyers to be involved (no lawyers are permitted in small claims court).

Now that your case is in civil court, you will most likely going to need to hire a lawyer. If you can find one to take this case, be ready to shell out money.

Then when you loose, AA's lawyers now ask the court for reimbursement of court and attorneys fees.

Be ready to shell out more money.

All I can say is, don't do it. If you do, let us know how it works out so we can tell you we told you so.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
This makes it possible for their lawyers to be involved (no lawyers are permitted in small claims court).
Just out of morbid curiosity, which state are you referring to where a small claims court doesn't permit attorneys to appear?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by aves17
Just out of morbid curiosity, which state are you referring to where a small claims court doesn't permit attorneys to appear?
IL for one.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
IL for one.
Edit: It does appear California has such a provision whereby lawyers are not allowed in small claims hearings, so I stand corrected. Learn something new everyday.

Last edited by aves17; Aug 5, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
IAAL.

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
But if you file in small claims AA **MUST** respond, or they lose.
Speaking only of Massachusetts, the defendant (AA in this case) does not have to show up in small claims court. If a defendant loses in small claims court, even by default, s/he/it has the right to remove the matter to the regular civil court for a trial de novo, as if the small claims court had never heard the matter. To be clear, however, I am not giving anyone legal advice; and you should not rely on this as legal advice. If someone sues you, in any court, you should talk to an attorney as soon as possible in order to preserve your rights under the law.
No.
How do I get copies of the flight information to prove this flight is regularly weight restricted? I want to argue that since the weight restriction is a common occurrence, that I am due denied boarding compensation because it is not "just the weather."
The information is available to the public, but I'm just not sure where. In any case, it doesn't matter. Lots of flights on small aircraft are or become weight-restricted. Depends on pax load, freight load, checked baggage load, weather (including air temperature), etc.
...AA should not have sold the ticket it did not intend to fulfill.
A flight can become weight-restricted at the very last minute. I'm sure that AA intended to fly you when it sold you the ticket.
... (no lawyers are permitted in small claims court).
In most states, though apparently not Illinois, attorneys can appear in small claims court, if for no other reason than that corporations cannot represent themselves because while a corporation is a legal "person," it's not an actual person. The President/Chairman/CEO/etc. of a corporation is an employee, but not the corporation, itself. In Massachusetts, corporations are required to be represented in court by an attorney.
Then when you loose, AA's lawyers now ask the court for reimbursement of court and attorneys fees.
Courts in the U.S. operate on the American system, surprisingly enough, under which everyone pays their own attorney fees unless there is a specific statute or provision in a contract which provides otherwise.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 5, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by austin_modern
... if we only had a nickel for every person who claimed they would take a hotel chain, airline, credit card company (canceling their card for churning), etc and didnt....
I took a hotel (Kimpton) to small claims court. Well actually I just filed it and got a nice call from area manager and settled. My reason for doing it was in no way worth my time and I wasn't looking for a windfall deal but i took it personally and I had some free time coming up so I did it as an experience.

Now my case was a bit different from the OP's, I didn't ask to cover any out of pocket costs or my own time (lost) and I had good evidence of the problem as well as the hotel managers moronic emails that weren't very nice so I got an apology from the regional manager and a free hotel stay (more than I asked for) and some comped nights in the future which I never used.

Point being, if you think you have a good case (doesn't appear you do) and you're willing to waste a day of your own time and not be reimbursed it's a good experience to see how the process works.

I'm also the only (non-lawyer) person I know that has successfully beaten a speeding ticket and helped a few of my neighbors do the same by giving them my research.

Think of it as changing your own oil or mowing the grass.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
AZ.

Who Can File a Small Claim?

The small claims court can be used by any individual, partnership, association or corporation for civil claims that do not exceed $3,500. Small claims cases are simplified, therefore, lawyers are not allowed.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IAAL.

Speaking only of Massachusetts, the defendant (AA in this case) does not have to show up in small claims court. If a defendant loses in small claims court, even by default, s/he/it has the right to remove the matter to the regular civil court for a trial de novo, as if the small claims court had never heard the matter.No.The information is available to the public, but I'm just not sure where. In any case, it doesn't matter. Lots of flights on small aircraft are or become weight-restricted. Depends on pax load, freight load, checked baggage load, weather (including air temperature), etc.A flight can become weight-restricted at the very last minute. I'm sure that AA intended to fly you when it sold you the ticket.In most states, though apparently not Illinois, attorneys can appear in small claims court, if for no other reason than that corporations cannot represent themselves because while a corporation is a legal "person," it's not an actual person. The President/Chairman/CEO/etc. of a corporation is an employee, but not the corporation, itself. In Massachusetts, corporations are required to be represented in court by an attorney.Courts in the U.S. operate on the American system, surprisingly enough, under which everyone pays their own attorney fees unless there is a specific statute or provision in a contract which provides otherwise.
Attorneys fees and court costs are recoverable for some lawsuits. This would be one if it were to go.

And corporations are required to appear in AZ. I sued a health care clinic in small claims court after they mishandled a blood sample and negligently told me my kids life was in imminent danger. I simply had to serve their statutory agent. All corporations are required to have one for legal process.... such as this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.