Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
June 19 - AA247 LAX/KOA. All buckets zeroed out but first class had 7 empty seats. At the AA lounge asked about a sticker upgrade but was told that we were already on the list for an op up as coach was oversold. Needless to say, it was a very nice surprise getting the op up at the gate. Only downside was the horrible meal selections of the red panang curry shrimp or the ravioli with the hot chili sauce. Requested the Zoe's turkey sandwich from the back. It was a bit strange having a PHX crew for a flight from ORD to LAX and LAX KOA. I think this was their first flight as our purser discussed a non-existent jet bridge in the Kona airport.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by travelling companion
Very interesting experience receiving my first operational upgrade yesterday from SBA-DFW. I boarded the plane with my fiancee and we got to our seats and they were taken by another couple. The woman sitting in our seats had just had a major surgery on her leg so the FA allowed her to sit in our bulkhead main cabin extra seats. We asked the FA where we should sit and she said she would upgrade us to first class. I really appreciated it since it is about a three hour flight on a CRJ-900.
That is horrible.you need to write and ask for compensation.😂
meechyathere likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Recently had my entire party of 5 (same PNR) upgraded from MCE to “First” from Hawaii to DFW on a 777. Seems like a hi J 777 was swapped in for the scheduled low J 777. It was like winning the lottery.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
27 June 2019. Wife and I booked in Premium Economy AA160 ORD-ATHENS (W Fare) on same record. I’m Plat Pro, wife is Gold.

Approx 75 minutes prior to departure, received email from American that seats had been changed to 1L/4L.

Had not requested any upgrade

Wow!

made the 10 hour flight so much better!

Thank you travel gods

Last edited by FLL88; Jul 5, 2019 at 4:39 am Reason: spelling & update facts
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by FLL88
27 June 2019. Wife and I booked in Premium Economy AA160 ORD-ATHENS one same record. I’m Plat Pro, wife is Gold.

Approx 75 minutes prior to departure, received email from American that seats had been changed to 1L/4L.

Had not requested any upgrade

Wow!

made the 10 hour flight so much better!

Thank you travel gods

I doubt it was the travel gods, AA probably saw what ridiculous amount probably charged you guys for that route in PE and felt so guilty that they had to upgrade you, lol...But good one indeed...
FLL88 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by nk15

I doubt it was the travel gods, AA probably saw what ridiculous amount probably charged you guys for that route in PE and felt so guilty that they had to upgrade you, lol...But good one indeed...
Huh?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got one on 7/2 on BA from LGW-MCO using my EXP status. Went from World Traveler all the way to Club World which was a really welcome treat. Got the upgrade at T-24 when I went to do online check in.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Gold
Traveling BGR-ORD yesterday in MCE with a party of 4 (2 different PNR's).
PNR #1 --1 Plat, 1 Gold, plus one person with no status--2 of 3 tickets were $99 companion tix from Barclay's Aviator.
PNR #2 --no status, award ticket.

Shortly before boarding commenced, party of 3 on PNR #1 called up to gate agent and handed new boarding passes for Row 1. Asked politely what to do with our companion on PNR #2 and they upgraded him as well.
We had not requested upgrades (actually could not on the companion fare or award ticket).
Very surprised but obviously pleased. Maybe they needed our exit row tickets?
CMK10, catmndu and FLL88 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:14 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Looks like AA’s scheduling woes continue. Ended up scoring an op-up from I to F on AA 171, which is great considering this flight leaves at 6:00am.
FLL88 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Last month on a 77W red-eye LAX-MIA, my wife and I were rolled from J to F. We were in the AC when we received notifications of new BPs. I’m assuming we were chosen due to my EXP status, but have no way of confirming. A pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Didn’t make that much of a difference to me as I fell asleep before we even left the gate, but it was a nice treat for my wife.

She concluded, as many do, that the difference between J and F on AA is nominal and not worth the price difference.
uxb likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:35 am
uxb

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Last month on a 77W red-eye LAX-MIA, my wife and I were rolled from J to F. We were in the AC when we received notifications of new BPs. I’m assuming we were chosen due to my EXP status, but have no way of confirming. A pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Didn’t make that much of a difference to me as I fell asleep before we even left the gate, but it was a nice treat for my wife.

She concluded, as many do, that the difference between J and F on AA is nominal and not worth the price difference.
That’s a good op-up even if you were only going to MIA. I fly through MIA in a week, but I’ll be fine whether my upgrade clears or not. Premium Economy seats on both legs of the journey. As for the differences, the only one is the fact I don’t have to trip over someone to get out of my seat. The meal was exactly the same right down to the FA giving my pre-reserved meal away to the person in 3F.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I got exactly three sticker-free, unrequested operational upgrades during the covid era. All three were flights between Phoenix and Oklahoma City on skywest. In all three cases, the economy cabin was overbooked. I was gold at the time.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
I was traveling OMA-ORD on Envoy with my mother and wife. I'm Gold, they have no status but all traveling on the same PNR. All three of us got upgraded to First due to economy cabin being overbooked.

Also happened when flying with Mrs Havek on CLT-OMA.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 5:56 pm
uxb

I ended up with a double op-up (second time in as many weeks and first as a PRO) because the J seat they assigned me was occupied by someone else. Good thing I didn’t spend the $484 for this seat yesterday. I was kinda hoping for the VDB though.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Deleted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.