Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Service Phone Voice Recognition / IVR Issues (After May 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA "Enhanced" IVR / Interactive Voice Response System
including "Remember Me" discontinuation (as of 19 May 2015), quality, etc.

Our interactive voice response system

When you call, just tell the system what you need and the information will be passed along to an agent. If your cell number is saved in your account the system will recognize who you are and can help you with things like:
  • Flight information, including connecting flights
  • Reservations assistance
  • AAdvantage mileage balance and elite qualifying activity
  • 500-mile upgrade notifications for elite status members
To make sure you’re recognized:
  • Save your cell number in your AAdvantage account
  • Don’t include this number in any other account, like your child’s account
  • Call us from this cell phone
  • Include your AAdvantage number in all reservations
  • If you need help with recognition of your cell phone number please contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
AAdvantage customer service

Did you sign up for Remember Me? The new system will provide you with all the help you need and more, but getting recognized is a little different – as long as you have a unique cell number in your account we’ll recognize you. It’s that easy and there’s no need to sign up.

Update your AAdvantage account
Note: bypass command is "Agent"; one can also tap "0" several times.

E-mail from AA 18 June 2015:

Hello John Q. Customer,
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum Number: I28IVR

If you've called us recently, you probably noticed we're speaking in a new voice. We've made enhancements to our voice response system that are designed to be more conversational so you can tell us what you need in a few short phrases. When prompted, your responses allow us to get you the information you need on the spot, or pass the details you provide through to an agent. Your interactions will help us fine-tune the system and improve its responsiveness.

Learn more »

Recognition is now handled differently and the "Remember Me" service you subscribed to no longer applies. Our system will recognize you when you're calling on your cell phone, as long as that cell number is listed in your American Airlines AAdvantage account — and not in any other member's account. With this functionality, we'll be able to quickly pull up your account to answer your questions and proactively provide you with your flight information. We understand that sometimes you prefer to speak with a person and we're working on ways to help you reach an agent more quickly. Please keep the feedback coming, we are listening and refining the system based on your direct feedback.

Update your cell phone number
Note: The IVR recognizes ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet; that can come in handy when IVR can't respond to accents:

ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet

NOTE: Numbers pronounced as normal, but for “fife” and “niner”.

NOTE: “Concierge” and "Executive Platinum" Desks are separate agents, allegedly with extensive knowledge and supervisor powers. (Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro "desks" are prioritized lines into the main telephone service bank).

Consolidation (Los Angeles, Tucson, Hartford EP Desk center's have been closed) and the need to bring in new agents have seemingly reduced the quality of EXP Desk services.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Just called earlier this morning and my oh my its sounds just like US Airways prompts! It did play the late 1990s era melody that was featured in some of AAs ads at the time strangely enough.

Anyway the "new" system is needlessly confusing, unresponsive and makes it much harder to reach a live agent that the old AA IVR system.

The takeover of AA is in full force....
Old May 19, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
New phone system ... lost "Remember Me" details?

Called in this morning to the EXP line and was greeted by a new call routing system - not a big deal. I was then greeted by a prompt to provide my AAdvantage number. For the past some-odd years, I have had the "Remember Me" function set up with both my office and mobile numbers. After I got to an agent and completed my initial call, I asked her about this.

While she could see all of my correct phone numbers, they were no longer set up for the "Remember Me" feature. She tried to manually add them back in but that generated an error. We also could no longer find the feature on the website (under the profiles/information section).

That got me to AA.com support who noted there was a change to the system but that's all she could tell me. She took down my details and said she would investigate.

It looks like my mobile number is back in but not my office number. Anyone else having similar issues or is this isolated to me? This little feature is a huge time saver you never value until it's gone!
Old May 19, 2015, 7:32 am

Updated: New phone system has a replacement to the old "Remember Me" feature

I have confirmation ... after doing a circle from the EXP desk, AA.com web services, AA Customer Service and then back to a fantastic (dare I say real) EXP rep.

She read a few lines from some of her documentation. I am going to paraphrase:
- new phone system as part of the integration of systems
- in that, the old "Remember Me" feature is discontinued (most reps have no idea ... I was one of a few people calling in this morning)
- replacing it is a new system that pulls only the mobile/cell number of the AAdvantage member (no option of feature to add additional numbers)

Losing additional numbers is a huge loss. The rep was very apologetic and pushed me to drop a comment on the Contact Us page of AA.com. I also plan on hitting Twitter as well. If you're going to miss the value as well, please do the same.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:36 am

AAerSTL,

I posted this in pmAA - <removed circular link post merge>

Not sure if the pmUS had a similar "Remember Me" feature or if this is the PMUS system. Either way, I agree with you that this adds complexity and time to get where I need to be.

Last edited by Microwave; May 19, 2015 at 8:17 am
Old May 19, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
New phone system ... lost "Remember Me" details?

That's a loss. Will do the same as well.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:57 am

Just received a quick response from AA Customer Relations. Here's a snippet ...

"I am sure we will get more feedback over the next few days to properly assess the situation."

If you value the old feature and want to get to an agent by hitting zero (0) once, please submit your feedback to the "Contact American" page. It appears they are willing to listen.

Thanks ...
Old May 19, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Ugh! Just press "0" 3 times and eventually Mr. Voice gets that all I want to do is talk to an agent.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
Called in this morning to the EXP line and was greeted by a new call routing system - not a big deal. I was then greeted by a prompt to provide my AAdvantage number. For the past some-odd years, I have had the "Remember Me" function set up with both my office and mobile numbers. After I got to an agent and completed my initial call, I asked her about this.

While she could see all of my correct phone numbers, they were no longer set up for the "Remember Me" feature. She tried to manually add them back in but that generated an error. We also could no longer find the feature on the website (under the profiles/information section).

That got me to AA.com support who noted there was a change to the system but that's all she could tell me. She took down my details and said she would investigate.

It looks like my mobile number is back in but not my office number. Anyone else having similar issues or is this isolated to me? This little feature is a huge time saver you never value until it's gone!
I've created a consolidated thread in the post-consolidation forum, and will merge this in.

~Moderator
Old May 19, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Gross!
Old May 19, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
AAerSTL,

I posted this in pmAA - <removed circular link post merge>

Not sure if the pmUS had a similar "Remember Me" feature or if this is the PMUS system. Either way, I agree with you that this adds complexity and time to get where I need to be.
The US system had done phone recogniton for maybe 4+ years now, so I'd be surprised to completely see this disappear.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
New EXP phone queue, making a flight change.... Got the automated voice attendant, it recognized me. "Agent", "Agent", then it launched into an automated voice command prompted flight change tree (aka Hertz). "Agent" "OK, I will transfer you to the next available agent. You are being transferred to US Airways.... Please hold, as all available agents are busy...." Waited on hold, until US Airways picked up.

The very nice woman at US Airways had no idea about anything to do with AA flights, EXP, or changing them. "how did you get here, you need to be talking to American, not US Airways?" Before transferring me back to EXP where I came "home", to the airline I value. I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
What a horrible experience! It's almost impossible to get past the three -- four minute automated system. Do I seriously need to hear about lithium batteries!

I've called 10 times this morning and all but the last call dropped. Thankfully, I've figured out how to save a little time. Hitting 000 or asking for an agent just delays the process until you acknowledge you are not using miles. Once you acknowledge you are not using miles, then asking for an agent gets you to the same familiar experienced agent, and saves about 2 minutes.

Don't they realize that one of the huge points of being an EXP is getting a real person on the phone!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:03 am

I also called twice. Other than prompt, the phone went MUTE one time and had to call again.

The second time I was on the phone and the agent went to check with the rate desk and my call dropped.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
After the interminable mechanical sound of the intro - it went on so long I thought the system had broken - "hello, JDiver...", I had to listen to the entire canned spiel about carry-on and prohibited items, before the call progressed.

"Agent."
"We're sorry, but we couldn't recognize..."
"AGENT."
"We're sorry, but we couldn't recognize..."
"AGENT!"
"OK, we'll connect you to the next available agent."
Useless, unnecessary TSA type briefing.

His "enhanced" system is in serious need of repair!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:30 am

Anyone else getting a lot of the busy signal? It sounds like a lot of people might be having issues with the new system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.