Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Service Phone Voice Recognition / IVR Issues (After May 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA "Enhanced" IVR / Interactive Voice Response System
including "Remember Me" discontinuation (as of 19 May 2015), quality, etc.

Our interactive voice response system

When you call, just tell the system what you need and the information will be passed along to an agent. If your cell number is saved in your account the system will recognize who you are and can help you with things like:
  • Flight information, including connecting flights
  • Reservations assistance
  • AAdvantage mileage balance and elite qualifying activity
  • 500-mile upgrade notifications for elite status members
To make sure you’re recognized:
  • Save your cell number in your AAdvantage account
  • Don’t include this number in any other account, like your child’s account
  • Call us from this cell phone
  • Include your AAdvantage number in all reservations
  • If you need help with recognition of your cell phone number please contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
AAdvantage customer service

Did you sign up for Remember Me? The new system will provide you with all the help you need and more, but getting recognized is a little different – as long as you have a unique cell number in your account we’ll recognize you. It’s that easy and there’s no need to sign up.

Update your AAdvantage account
Note: bypass command is "Agent"; one can also tap "0" several times.

E-mail from AA 18 June 2015:

Hello John Q. Customer,
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum Number: I28IVR

If you've called us recently, you probably noticed we're speaking in a new voice. We've made enhancements to our voice response system that are designed to be more conversational so you can tell us what you need in a few short phrases. When prompted, your responses allow us to get you the information you need on the spot, or pass the details you provide through to an agent. Your interactions will help us fine-tune the system and improve its responsiveness.

Learn more »

Recognition is now handled differently and the "Remember Me" service you subscribed to no longer applies. Our system will recognize you when you're calling on your cell phone, as long as that cell number is listed in your American Airlines AAdvantage account — and not in any other member's account. With this functionality, we'll be able to quickly pull up your account to answer your questions and proactively provide you with your flight information. We understand that sometimes you prefer to speak with a person and we're working on ways to help you reach an agent more quickly. Please keep the feedback coming, we are listening and refining the system based on your direct feedback.

Update your cell phone number
Note: The IVR recognizes ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet; that can come in handy when IVR can't respond to accents:

ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet

NOTE: Numbers pronounced as normal, but for “fife” and “niner”.

NOTE: “Concierge” and "Executive Platinum" Desks are separate agents, allegedly with extensive knowledge and supervisor powers. (Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro "desks" are prioritized lines into the main telephone service bank).

Consolidation (Los Angeles, Tucson, Hartford EP Desk center's have been closed) and the need to bring in new agents have seemingly reduced the quality of EXP Desk services.

Print Wikipost

AA Service Phone Voice Recognition / IVR Issues (After May 2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by JDiver
After the interminable mechanical sound of the intro - it went on so long I thought the system had broken - "hello, JDiver...", I had to listen to the entire canned spiel about carry-on and prohibited items, before the call progressed.

"Agent."
"We're sorry, but we couldn't recognize..."
"AGENT."
"We're sorry, but we couldn't recognize..."
"AGENT!"
"OK, we'll connect you to the next available agent."
Useless, unnecessary TSA type briefing.

His "enhanced" system is in serious need of repair!
From years with pmUS, I'm used to just letting the introductory message play, then saying "speak to an agent" and immediately getting "OK, I'll connect you to an agent".
Old May 20, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bttc
Edit:

Back in business with the old system. Currently there's a 10 minute hold time--probably because everyone's been unable to connect all day.
Just called to address a flight change and was very happy to hear them recognize my office line ^
Old May 20, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
IVRs are evil. Voice driven IVRs are the most annoying and least pleasing ways of dealing with customers ever invented. Any noise like, say, oh I don't know, when you are in a freaking airport makes it say, "Sorry..." So frustrating. I can't believe a single person tested this application and thought it was acceptable.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Took 2 tries for the new call back system to work & actually have a human on the other end when I answered.

Then the computer addressed me as 'valued customer' which I suppose is an improvement over the boilerplate e-mail I got from customer services addressed to 'Miss Guitar'

Welcome to the 'new' American
Old May 22, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
phone woes

Anyone else experiencing unusual, extremely long waits for award booking? The usual instant answer in morning is now 30 minutes.. the worst part is that 2/3 of the time when they call back aft e'er 2hrs, it hangs up right away. Anyone else getting these woes?

This is without status.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Are there weather issues anywhere in the AA service map? Anytime there are disruptions and passengers are trying to call for reaccommodation and assistance, the call centers will clutter up and require delays.

What's your reason for calling? If you're directly affected by delays and irregular operations, see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ather-etc.html

If it's a routine matter, I'd either keep trying - you might be able to schedule a call-back - or wait until things improve (Saturdays are slower flying days, for instance.)

Last edited by JDiver; May 22, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old May 22, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The airport map looked fine yesterday when the wait was super long. I've seen much worse delays and the waits were nowhere near as bad. Like I said, the worst part is when I request call back, I get a call 2 hours later and it gets dropped right away most of the time. I'm not sure if this problem is specific to my phone or if everyone is getting it. It is not at all the norm for other calls.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:01 pm

DFW and SFO are showing issues today. Not sure what was happening yesterday, because I didn't look.

It may also be - some members have mentioned it - some systems glitches are showing up in the telephone systems as the merger progresses. We do know they are making some changes this week.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:11 pm

I had a similar issue with AA.com web services Thursday night. Did the call back thing and they hung up on me twice as soon as I was connected.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by amybd
I had a similar issue with AA.com web services Thursday night. Did the call back thing and they hung up on me twice as soon as I was connected.
Not good. The system sounds broken!
Old May 24, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, US
I had extremely long wait time Friday and finally just gave up. Will try again this weekend as I didn't get a call back either.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:54 am

AA New Phone System

Looked around a bit, can't find a thread about the new AA phone system.

Calling in EXP Desk is no fun. I have to enter my FF# and, and follow the voice recorder, hopping through hoops to reach an AAgent. After my FF#, I just keep hitting 0.

I'm looking through AA.com menu. I can't seem to find the old section/window where we register our phone numbers for the call in system.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2015 at 8:31 am
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
AA New Phone System

Just had to deal with this from India
Seems my BA flight is delayed by well a lot
Which means I miss any connection back to the Atlanta on aa
Calling from India is well not cheap
(I have an Indian phone)
I do not like the new system
Kept saying agent and still it kept asking me the reason why I was calling
This went in for 4 minutes
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I think there is a thread, because I remember reading some discussion about the new system only taking one number per member. Possibly in the combined forum?

But for what it's worth, I agree. The new system is pants.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:25 am

AAgent said, at anytime during the message, if your phone number is registered, you should be able to say, "AAgent", and by-pass everything.

Testing.

So.. far.. I'm not sure the "AAgent' thing has put me at the EXP DESK.

Maybe, I'm in the general queue.

Yeah. Still on hold, this has to be the general queue.

Yep. Ten minutes on hold. Called back, worked the prompts per above, and got the EXP DESK. So... the "AAgent" thing does not work. You need to get your FF# in the system. After, AA acknowledges your name.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2015 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.