Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA passengers' histrionics at missing flight (video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum

Cringe-worthy - link
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:11 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWstu
Cringe-worthy - link
what airport was that?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I can't believe the plane didn't come back and pick them up!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
what airport was that?
Atlanta - I think. With video full screen, one can see AA 4344 ATL to ORD.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
what airport was that?
That is definitely IAH. I feel pity for them after they've publicly embarrassed themselves like that....
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by medichill
I can't believe the plane didn't come back and pick them up!
They must not have had high enough status.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dls25
That is definitely IAH. I feel pity for them after they've publicly embarrassed themselves like that....
I would have said that or DEN. Yeah, like the pilot could seem them.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would have said that or DEN. Yeah, like the pilot could seem them.
... or hear them?

Haven't seen a post about what compensation they should get yet.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by dls25
I feel pity for them after they've publicly embarrassed themselves like that....
I don't. Anyone who loses it like that in public deserves to be embarrassed.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
At least they didn't go as overboard as Communist Party members do in China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEK20qA5hHw
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The ground personnel may well have heard them if the engines hadn't started. In which I would have expected them to notify police. Two people banging on a terminal window trying to get attention as a plane is pulling away? Who knows what could have been the reason.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Wow, disappointed in the reaction here. These are clearly desperate people in a bad situation, possibly (likely?) non-US nationals who just barely missed their flight to ORD (AA hub) so likely connecting to an international flight. It is rather frustrating to see the plane still by the gate, with only a jetway and a closed door separating you, and knowing that you are THAT close to your plane and your destination, yet there is nothing you can do to get on.

Yes, I cringe watching that and feel bad for them, but calling this "histrionics" and "losing it" and "embarrassing themselves" is a little much, no? We are all seasoned travelers and well versed in our chosen airline's policies and procedures and can likely recover from a missed flight easily, often leveraging our elite status. Not everyone is in the same position.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by akcae
Wow, disappointed in the reaction here. These are clearly desperate people in a bad situation, possibly (likely?) non-US nationals who just barely missed their flight to ORD (AA hub) so likely connecting to an international flight. It is rather frustrating to see the plane still by the gate, with only a jetway and a closed door separating you, and knowing that you are THAT close to your plane and your destination, yet there is nothing you can do to get on.

Yes, I cringe watching that and feel bad for them, but calling this "histrionics" and "losing it" and "embarrassing themselves" is a little much, no? We are all seasoned travelers and well versed in our chosen airline's policies and procedures and can likely recover from a missed flight easily, often leveraging our elite status. Not everyone is in the same position.
I agree with you 100%. You want histrionics, go watch the Chinese communist party leader who threw a fit. This wasnt a fit, it was just trying to get someone's attention. Maybe they could have done it differently, but I agree that it wasnt at all "shameful".
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
While we're at it...

Ah...rednecks unite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxWimFepdn4
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I sympathize with the travelers in the video as I have been in that same situation and done that myself. Last October I booked a PM ORD-PHX-MIA-SJU, reason for routing is that it gave me a late departure from ORD with an AM arrival to SJU without any need of taking time off or sleeping at MIA, in the spirit of MR, the added stop at PHX was cheaper and added more miles than just going ORD-MIA-SJU.

On our way to PHX, a sandstorm had our flight diverted to TUS, I called the EXP desk regarding our connection, originally 90+ minutes, now, ???. PHX was shut down due to the sandstorm and I was guaranteed that I would not have any problems making our connection. Our plane is refueled and we take off to PHX, as we land I checked my mobile to see that our departing MIA flight is on the gate next to our arrival flight with a departure time of 30 minutes, we immediately got out of the plane and went to gate, only to find a GA walking out of the jet-bridge and closing the door. She refused to board us, there where 7 people on the ORD flight that where trying to make the connection. I could not believe it, they knew they had that many travelers waiting to connect, plane was arriving and landing on the gate next door, this is the last flight of the night. We start banging on the window, the jet-bridge is still connected to the plane, I can clearly see the pilot, I called the EXP desk and mention our situation, agent tells that the plane shows a departure in 20 minutes, doors shouldn't be closed as boarding is still available. She puts me on hold, at this time I noticed that the GA receives a call, and also the pilot appears to be talking to someone as he is also looking towards the gate, the GA reluctantly opens the jet-bridge and scan out tickets. I settle into my seat and I clearly see one of the ramp agents walking with my checked suitcase from the ORD flight towards the MIA flight and place it on the belt for the plane.

We end up leaving 15 minutes after the original scheduled departure time, and arrived MIA on time and continued to SJU. Yes, this happens and it is rather frustrating situation. Not everyone is prepared for an unexpected layover, but if anything can be done to avoid one, you try. I was lucky that the EXP agent help me out and I sent an email thanking them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.