Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

For some people, it's about lounge access. Clearing at the last minute doesn't really give you time to hang out at the business/first class lounge.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
For some people, it's about lounge access. Clearing at the last minute doesn't really give you time to hang out at the business/first class lounge.
A domestic upgrade isn't going to give you lounge access (except maybe if you get an upgrade to J JFK-LAX/SFO or MIA-LAX and vice versa, but I am not sure if upgraders are eligible). The complaint seems to be meal selection (ho hum), seat (ho hum), or that AA isn't living up to their end of the bargain of the window (which they actually are, but that's been beaten to death).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
A domestic upgrade isn't going to give you lounge access (except maybe if you get an upgrade to J JFK-LAX/SFO or MIA-LAX and vice versa, but I am not sure if upgraders are eligible). The complaint seems to be meal selection (ho hum), seat (ho hum), or that AA isn't living up to their end of the bargain of the window (which they actually are, but that's been beaten to death).
The upgrade won't give you *access* to the AC, but knowing it cleared ahead of time will let you relax there until closer to departure when you already have access (membership or CC).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
The upgrade won't give you *access* to the AC, but knowing it cleared ahead of time will let you relax there until closer to departure when you already have access (membership or CC).
I guess, but upgrades at the gate are generally coming at T-30 and you have to be there by T-15 anyway, so at most you're missing out on 15 minutes.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:12 pm

Right, I was referring to international upgrades in terms of lounge access. For domestic upgrades, seat selection would be more of the issue especially when upgrading a companion together.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Right, I was referring to international upgrades in terms of lounge access. For domestic upgrades, seat selection would be more of the issue especially when upgrading a companion together.
My point was that there is no window for international upgrades, a fact that has also been beaten to death in this thread.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
In the past week, I've had three upgrades clear at 3.5 hours out. I thought anything under 4 hours was under gate control but there's obviously no one at the gate clearing them. Additionally, upgrades cleared by the gate have checkmarks. When I looked on the app at 4 hours out, my name was at the top of the list. Once the upgrade cleared, it disappeared, i.e., no checkmark.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In the past week, I've had three upgrades clear at 3.5 hours out. I thought anything under 4 hours was under gate control but there's obviously no one at the gate clearing them. Additionally, upgrades cleared by the gate have checkmarks. When I looked on the app at 4 hours out, my name was at the top of the list. Once the upgrade cleared, it disappeared, i.e., no checkmark.

Yes. I think there is one final sweep that occurs at ~3.5 hours out that we get.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yes, on a handful of occasions recently.

I'm 36/36 (whoo) on SDF-DCA or DCA-SDF over the last 4 months or so, with ~1/2 at 72 hours, ~1/4 at 24 hours, and ~1/4 closer in, most just before the 4-hour window but some at 3.5, and a small number at the gate.

Also cleared SDF-DFW/DFW-SDF x2 at the gate on all four.

Missed a recent DCA-CLT but it was during irrops; made the subsequent CLT-SDF at T-3.5.

Bought F on LAX and a couple other runs to avoid the gamble; had to fly Y on some single-class CVG-DCA, DFW-ROW-DFW flights but overall very happy with success as a PLT and looking forward to nudging over to EXP next week.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

Yes. It's quite common. I normally see it a little more than 4 hours out, and I assumed it was a final sweep prior to shifting the list over to airport control. Once the automated system clears you there is no reason for you to be on the airport list, which is what you see via the app. Only those cleared by an airport agent will get the check mark in the app.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just speculation: beginning Jan. 2017, the ranking for dom, upgs. will be based on $ spent--but is there any reason to assume that AA will process (even those at the top of the queue) any faster?
After Jan. 2017, maybe FT should keep track of timing for upgs--it might provide interesting stats.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by nrr
Just speculation: beginning Jan. 2017, the ranking for dom, upgs. will be based on $ spent--but is there any reason to assume that AA will process (even those at the top of the queue) any faster?
After Jan. 2017, maybe FT should keep track of timing for upgs--it might provide interesting stats.

I don't think this new ranking starts until sometime "later" in 2017.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

Aa 162 hnl-lax

My wife and I were upgraded after boarding on 12/20. Both GLDs. Talk about waiting till the last minute!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jmiyazawa
My wife and I were upgraded after boarding on 12/20. Both GLDs. Talk about waiting till the last minute!
Wow, consider yourself very lucky as GLDs, to secure not one, but two upgrades on that route. I guess there really are unicorns!

Regards
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:36 pm

My point was that there is no window for international upgrades, a fact that has also been beaten to death in this thread.
I got my upgrade from Hong Kong to Dallas within the 72 hour window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.