Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG100 Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
RogerD408 stated this earlier in the thread and I believe it answers your question:

I suspect there are some number crunchers out there that believe customers are easy to come by, especially if you buyout the competitors. It may be a few years before they get disgusted, but the bonuses will have been paid out by then and it will be someone else's problem.
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

Not very good for long term shareholders though. Seems to be the typical corporate mindset. Large short term gains (at the expense of future performance), take your bonus and leave. Perhaps the answer is the shy away from long term stock investments.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by aaflyer757
I was in the lounge when I noticed it on my app. I ended up clearing at the gate I never had this happen before.
AHH, you where on the Priority Pass lounge, I was there this past Sunday. too bad that AA closed their lounge, those agent where very good and always assisted me. I fly a lot to SJU, and I can say that I've never witnesses any shenanigans in there.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
No way I'm getting upgraded JFK-LAX today....JFK is a ghost town and I am the only one literally in the B club.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
No way I'm getting upgraded JFK-LAX today....JFK is a ghost town and I am the only one literally in the B club.
Read this one a few times-- can't figure it out.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Read this one a few times-- can't figure it out.
sorry hadn't had coffee yet.....just meant the airport is empty (as is the AC), but i'm on a packed flight (i think) and not even in the top 3 on the UPG list (for what seems like zero seats)....bummed there is not even a chance. i've gotten used to MCE on these transcons.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
ORD-CLT flt at 1220 today. AC agent said I was #1 on the list and I cleared several minutes later at a bit under T-4.

I also cleared yesterday morning for this afternoon's CLT-TPA even though I had not requested it. aa.com claimed I had; I called weeks ago to correct this and they assured me then that they saw no such request. Right. Called last night; first response was it was automatic. No, it's over 500 miles; so she checks. "OK, so it's 507 miles, but it's wide open, so apparently the system automatically gave it to you". No certs used, she assured me.

Why am I skeptical?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
ORD-CLT flt at 1220 today. AC agent said I was #1 on the list and I cleared several minutes later at a bit under T-4.

I also cleared yesterday morning for this afternoon's CLT-TPA even though I had not requested it. aa.com claimed I had; I called weeks ago to correct this and they assured me then that they saw no such request. Right. Called last night; first response was it was automatic. No, it's over 500 miles; so she checks. "OK, so it's 507 miles, but it's wide open, so apparently the system automatically gave it to you". No certs used, she assured me.

Why am I skeptical?
They will take your certs. Happened to me several times out of Denver. In oversold situations (in Y) usually. I think I was op-up'ed probably 6 times as a Plat (meaning I never requested the upgrade), only once did I not lose stickers, and that was when they processed it right before boarding and told me it was complimentary. I think I called in once and they said it was an automatic preference (not true).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Recent MSP-LGA flight on Eagle where F ended going out only 6/12 (+2 nonrevs), upgrade cleared around T-18
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Couple interesting datapoints. Did a sort of last minute trip to AVL for a client engagement - booked 7 days before the trip began.

IAD-CLT did not clear at my 72 hour window but the return CLT-IAD (return the next day) cleared pretty much at 72 hours. The IAD-CLT segment cleared about 30 hours out.

Interestingly, owing to a mechanical oopsie on my AVL-CLT flight, AA protected me on a later CLT-IAD flight. I wound up not needing the protection, but apparently there was only 1 seat open on the protection flight and I cleared the upgrade list after being added to it by the agent at AVL. Cleared the list about 2.5 hours prior to departure.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
SFO-DFW this morning and got the upgrade @ T-4.5 which surprised me. I had checked the flight yesterday afternoon and 1F was the only opening (no EF, just used the web and it even said 1 seat left). Seatmap still shows 1 open with 7 on the list.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:13 am

Some strange stuff going on. J had around 10 seats open until last night when it went to 8 (F around 4 open) Its now less than 10 hours to my fight and expertflyer sent me an alert for upgrade space (C). Upgrade box disappears from my mobile app and when I call in agents say no space.

Now J has 10 seats open again and F has 5. No upgrade yet. So space was released, no elites cleared and suddenly more space opens up in both F and J. Hmmm.....
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:47 am

Yes its disappointing for sure. We are booked on a short CLT -LGA flight tomorrow night. We are both Platinum and seats are available. Still no upgrade even using the 500 stickers.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
Another data point, my upcoming MCO-ORD this Friday is not cleared despite F7...P7 but my connection ORD-DEN on that day cleared before T100, how that could happen?
Also my return flight DEN-CLT on Saturday did not cleared at this point despite F7...P7 Y7...O7 but my connection CLT-MCO once again cleared before T100.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Again, F7, P7, etc. do not matter. The only thing that actually matters for domestic non-transcon is X availability. There are some definite special methods being used to release X inventory that is swept during the windows by the system which are different than early 2016.

Further, I would argue that 1 or 2 seats get released per flight in the early windows which is based on your ranking order. So, you might have been in that top rank for one flight, but missed the early cut in another flight because of another person who bought earlier (with similar status).

This will become more dramatic in later 2017 when they will apparently try to re-rank lists based on the EQD aspect.

Rasheed
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Again, F7, P7, etc. do not matter. The only thing that actually matters for domestic non-transcon is X availability. There are some definite special methods being used to release X inventory that is swept during the windows by the system which are different than early 2016.

Further, I would argue that 1 or 2 seats get released per flight in the early windows which is based on your ranking order. So, you might have been in that top rank for one flight, but missed the early cut in another flight because of another person who bought earlier (with similar status).

This will become more dramatic in later 2017 when they will apparently try to re-rank lists based on the EQD aspect.

Rasheed
What matters for transcon? Curious since after my post above we cleared the upgrade around 5 minutes before boarding (along with 6-7 others).

My gut feeling is that holding upgrade on transcon helps reduce club access and expenses and need to provide special meals. I wouldn't have thought that before but given airlines need to milk elites for every last cent this makes sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.