Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2016)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to editing (strikethrough) or deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

As well, note Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 20-5, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in Mexico), and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

On September 1, 2012, access to the Admirals Club® and Flagship Lounge® changed for customers traveling on an American Airlines certain non-stop transcontinental flight.

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
(Note that "in 2017" does not mean "starting January 1 2017". We have been informed that "we don't have a specific date yet.")

All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs; full consolidation has occurred. Some Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ends July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014, so this has added the oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges at the TBIT international terminal for passengers departing TBIT; the Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, and Alaska Airlines Board Room to the scope of lounges one might access (depending on status or class of service eligibility).

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard, created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● FT Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules [ARCHIVED]

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2016)

I'm not sure if the Amex Plat card is enough to get you in. I assume you'd actually need the Priority Pass membership card that comes with an Amex Plat card. I know you can get an electronic card in your iPhone wallet via the PP app, but IIRC you may need the PP membership number to activate that.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm not sure if the Amex Plat card is enough to get you in. I assume you'd actually need the Priority Pass membership card that comes with an Amex Plat card. I know you can get an electronic card in your iPhone wallet via the PP app, but IIRC you may need the PP membership number to activate that.
You are correct. AMEX Platinum is insufficient to access Plaza Premium Lounges, but they are Priority Pass lounges.

The Platinum Card® comes with complimentary airport lounge access to The Centurion℠ Lounges‡, Delta Sky Clubs®‡, and Airspace Lounges‡ and you can enroll in Priority Pass™ Select‡ at no additional cost. These programs provide you access to over 600 domestic and international airport lounges.‡
The Plaza Premium Lounges at YVR are not part of the AMEX access plan; they are Priority Pass lounges. With the Priority Pass Select card that comes with AMEX Platinum card, guests are allowed for a $27 fee. Link.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by JDiver
You are correct. AMEX Platinum is insufficient to access Plaza Premium Lounges, but they are Priority Pass lounges.

The Plaza Premium Lounges at YVR are not part of the AMEX access plan; they are Priority Pass lounges. With the Priority Pass Select card that comes with AMEX Platinum card, guests are allowed for a $27 fee. Link.
As someone who actually been to this lounge over 10x I can tell you from personal experience they are quite happy to simply swipe you amex platinum card and send you on your way. They never ask for your Priority Pass Select card (even though I have one).
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:07 pm

Quick question on lounge access since it involves an overnight and partner outbound, everything on the same PNR. We are flying into ORD from a domestic location on AA metal one evening in F, overnighting and continuing on the next morning on JAL in F. Will we have any lounge access the evening of our arrival in ORD?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn
As someone who actually been to this lounge over 10x I can tell you from personal experience they are quite happy to simply swipe you amex platinum card and send you on your way. They never ask for your Priority Pass Select card (even though I have one).
That's very good to know! The experience is very useful considering the documentation would never suggest this. Thanks! ^. Though cmd320 makes an excellent immediately below.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Is this a Canadian Amex or US Amex Plat? I believe the Canadian ones can be swiped at the plaza premium lounges with no PP required. The US ones should technically require a PP card.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Quick question:

As it's not clear with OW rules:

I will be flying First Class on BA from LHR-JFK then connecting in Business Class on AA from JFK-CUN.

Oneworld rules:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
But those exceptions may apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
Since Cancun is in Mexico, those that means that I won't be able to access the Flagship Lounge?

Since I am OWS, I can access the Admiral Club but I would be really glad to try the JFK Flagship lounge if it's a possibility...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by sebanto2001
Quick question:

As it's not clear with OW rules:

I will be flying First Class on BA from LHR-JFK then connecting in Business Class on AA from JFK-CUN.

Oneworld rules:

But those exceptions may apply:

Since Cancun is in Mexico, those that means that I won't be able to access the Flagship Lounge?

Since I am OWS, I can access the Admiral Club but I would be really glad to try the JFK Flagship lounge if it's a possibility...
Assuming it's a same day connection, your BA F seat on LHR-JFK qualifies you for any oneworld F or J lounge you can access if you have an onward oneworld marketed-and-operated flight. Your J ticket JFK-CUN flight on its own is not good for lounge access, but it is in conjunction with your LHR-JFK flight.

Your BA oneworld Sapphire status would grant you access to any J lounge (including the Admiral's Club) in JFK for the JFK-CUN flight if you didn't have class-of-service based access due to the long haul inbound.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Originally Posted by ashill
Assuming it's a same day connection, your BA F seat on LHR-JFK qualifies you for any oneworld F or J lounge you can access if you have an onward oneworld marketed-and-operated flight. Your J ticket JFK-CUN flight on its own is not good for lounge access, but it is in conjunction with your LHR-JFK flight.

Your BA oneworld Sapphire status would grant you access to any J lounge (including the Admiral's Club) in JFK for the JFK-CUN flight if you didn't have class-of-service based access due to the long haul inbound.
Perfect, thanks for the reply. Since it's a same day connection, I will go straight away to the Flagship Lounge then!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Was recently flying JAN-CLT-EWR and transferring same-day to JFK-LAX where I was ticketed in F. I tried to use the AC in CLT and was denied.

Was told by AC agent that club access is "just for those markets." She was sure that she was right, but made three calls (or at least pretended to) to verify. Each call was essentially her seeking verification of her own logic--"hey, he shouldn't have access, right?" After spending 10 minutes awaiting to see if I had access or not, I was denied and sent back into the terminal. It was a short connection, so no big deal, but from the wording of the website I should've had access. I've had no problem getting access at LAA clubs.

To be fair, she said that I was the first pax she ever saw in such a situation. And it did seem like she tried. But I feel like I was denied based on one of those concocted "policies" that are so prolific at LUS hubs. One person aspouses something completely wrong and everyone just nods their heads (or suggests something equally incorrect). The confabulated policies I've heard at LUS hubs are simply unbelievable.

Should I have had access, or am I wrong?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Years ago I flew RDU-CLT-EWR on US and JFK-SFO on AA the next day. I was able to get access based on the JFK-SFO BP at the RDU and EWR ACs. So I think based on my previous experience you should have had access but that's obviously anecdotal.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Was recently flying JAN-CLT-EWR and transferring same-day to JFK-LAX where I was ticketed in F. I tried to use the AC in CLT and was denied.

Was told by AC agent that club access is "just for those markets." She was sure that she was right, but made three calls (or at least pretended to) to verify. Each call was essentially her seeking verification of her own logic--"hey, he shouldn't have access, right?" After spending 10 minutes awaiting to see if I had access or not, I was denied and sent back into the terminal. It was a short connection, so no big deal, but from the wording of the website I should've had access. I've had no problem getting access at LAA clubs.

To be fair, she said that I was the first pax she ever saw in such a situation. And it did seem like she tried. But I feel like I was denied based on one of those concocted "policies" that are so prolific at LUS hubs. One person aspouses something completely wrong and everyone just nods their heads (or suggests something equally incorrect). The confabulated policies I've heard at LUS hubs are simply unbelievable.

Should I have had access, or am I wrong?
...access is "just for those markets"? Sounds made up to me.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
CDg Arrivals Lounge for EXP-J Class passenger

Hello,

I'm planning to fly to Paris CDG in May as EXP on in J/Business Class. Wanted to see if anyone recently has done this, and if so, are there any arrivals lounges available that I'd have access to as EXP/J passenger?

I've been on the One World Page, but it lists Air France lounges. Didn't think Air France was part of OW, so I'm a bit confused as to why I'd get access to it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:57 am

If you will notice, the Air France lounges are not oneworld lounges at all; they are specific contract lounges: Salon L'Espace in T2 open to departing JL passengers, the T1 AF Salon Premiere to departing QR and UL passengers.

At CDG, a passenger must have access to the terminal housing the lounge one wishes to use; the only way to do that at CDG is to have a boarding pass for a flight departing that terminal.

There are no arrivals lounges open to you currently, AFAIK. The best possibility might be a day room at a Roissy property such as the Ibis, Sheraton, Hilton, etc. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...g-airport.html in the France forum.

We will move this to the proper thread. /Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by CMK10
Years ago I flew RDU-CLT-EWR on US and JFK-SFO on AA the next day. I was able to get access based on the JFK-SFO BP at the RDU and EWR ACs. So I think based on my previous experience you should have had access but that's obviously anecdotal.
Originally Posted by JDiver
...access is "just for those markets"? Sounds made up to me.
I figured it was inaccurate. But the AAgent kept swearing that she'd seen a memo/handout stating just that. Maybe she was thinking of a different program/arrangement? I waited for 10 minutes for her to look into it, and with 20 minutes until my next flight boarded, it wasn't worth arguing over.

The bigger issue is all of the made up stuff I hear at CLT and PHL. I've just come to expect trouble when going through LUS hubs. There are some pretty confabulated policies at CLT and PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.