Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Will Aer Lingus Now Re-Join AA in Oneworld ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Speculation: Will Aer Lingus Now Re-Join AA in Oneworld ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by valuepac
If Dub becomes a OW hub, be nice if AA would fly LAX to DUB in a new 787
With preclearence, this would really make sense (especially when flying to ORD)!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by valuepac
If Dub becomes a OW hub, be nice if AA would fly LAX to DUB in a new 787

Also I wonder what "Fuel Surcharges" our friends at IAG will have AA pass on to our award bookings....
I think EI would fly to LAX from DUB long before AA would ever attempt it. They were flying to SFO for a while last decade. I'm not sure if that flight still exists though. When EI is folded into the ATI/JV agreement, my prediction is that AA would do the flying from BOS/JFK/PHL/CLT, while EI would pick up the routes with their 330s that are beyond the range of a 757 (like MIA/DFW/LAX), and probably fly to JFK and ORD as well.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Hey, lets not forget that EI gives Canadians another choice to fly OW rather than the only carrier offered from DUB to YYZ via LHR on BA.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think EI would fly to LAX from DUB long before AA would ever attempt it. They were flying to SFO for a while last decade. I'm not sure if that flight still exists though. When EI is folded into the ATI/JV agreement, my prediction is that AA would do the flying from BOS/JFK/PHL/CLT, while EI would pick up the routes with their 330s that are beyond the range of a 757 (like MIA/DFW/LAX), and probably fly to JFK and ORD as well.
EI was also flying LAX-DUB in the last decade (I think they dropped LAX in '08). Indeed, they still fly SFO-DUB 3x week. You're right, if they're immunized into the JV, I would think the longer-hauls would be a better fit for them.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One challenge we might see, given we're all speculating now, is given Iberia and BAEC a upcoming reductions to 50% earnings in any economy fare below H, B, Y (and 25% for deep discount fares), be prepared for very stingy miles earnings in those classes (or pay more to take economy AA codeshares).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JDiver
IF the bid succeeds.
Thank you. This is not a done deal. It is entirely possible that Ryanair will bid yet again. The Irish government has yet to agree even if this is recommended by the Aer Lingus Board.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thank you. This is not a done deal. It is entirely possible that Ryanair will bid yet again. The Irish government has yet to agree even if this is recommended by the Aer Lingus Board.
We like counting our chickens before the eggs are even laid and our firm belief is that carts belong in front of horses.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Unless some joker decides to do DUB or SNN -BOS with a narrow body A320 or such 737, equipped with high density Y seating and a "Business Class" with the same seating and the middle seat blocked. DUB/SNN-BOS is not that much longer than HEL-TLV flown as an intra-European route.
SNN-BOS is only 11% longer than LAX-BOS! (vs. 45% longer than HEL-TLV)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Exactly! Chicken first, eggs later.

Those eggs could be oneworld (all economy within Euro seemed not to be too much of a barrier for airberlin), JBA or no (but if yes, as revenue is shared it makes little difference if it's AA or EI to the U.S.), what FFPs changes might occur a la Iberia Plus and BAEC, all to be decided in some future.

Interestingly, Michael O'Leary sounds fine with the IAG proposal, but one must take the diversity of the Irish political spectrum and government into the equation before we can count on any chock at all. From resistance to downsizing the workforce to calls for nationalization, ouch!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radarskiy
SNN-BOS is only 11% longer than LAX-BOS! (vs. 45% longer than HEL-TLV)
That may be, but most flights LAX-BOS (and of course vice versa) are daytime flights. While at least when pmAA flew BOS-SNN, they flew it (in that direction) as a redeye. (I haven't looked at Aer Lingus' schedule.)

To me, it makes a difference in seating whether the flight is a daytime flight or a redeye.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Hi All,

Now that Aer Lingus has finally accepted the purchase offer by IAG (owner of BA, IB and Vueling)[...]
The offer has not been accepted. The Board simply said, "the financial terms of IAG's third proposal for the airline are at a level it is willing to recommend...." Acceptance depends upon the owners, not the management.

Originally Posted by JDiver
IF the bid succeeds.[...]
It is a big if!

Besides the financial considerations to be made by the Irish government and FR, both of which own substantial chunks of EI, there are political considerations.

There is a great deal of speculation that IAG's interest in EI is largely for EI's LHR slots. Those in Ireland want to continue to be able to utilize LHR, but worry that BA will drastically (if not entirely) eliminate DUB-LHR service in favor of other London area airports.

There is also a great deal of consideration to be made to jobs being made redundant by the merger. Even if IAG commits to keep jobs in Ireland, politicians won't to face voters who fear losses nonetheless; one can imagine the headlines that will likely come, if the acquisition goes through, and down the road IAG finds that is no longer viable to live up to its commitments to keep jobs in Ireland.

There are some in Ireland that may not be ready for British ownership of their flag carrier.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Aer Lingus

May be coming to Oneworld. Mods feel free to move. I did not see it in Oneworld or AA forums.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...-ceo/94064688/
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:44 pm

USA Today, above:
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.

“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.
and

WASHINGTON -- Irish carrier Aer Lingus could join the oneworld frequent-flier alliance as soon as next year, though the timing remains in flux.

That’s according to Willie Walsh, CEO of the International Airlines Group (IAG) that includes Aer Lingus as well as British Airways, Iberia and Spanish low-cost carrier Vueling.

“The plan is Aer Lingus will rejoin the oneworld alliance and therefore will benefit from the arrangements that apply,” Walsh said in an interview with Today in the Sky last week.
<snip>

“We’re also intending to bring Aer Lingus into the trans-Atlantic joint business that we have with Finnair and American Airlines,” Walsh said, noting that there’s some overlap in the efforts to bring Aer Lingus into those tie-ups.
Translation: probably in 2017, "sometime". Maybe early?

There are two places to discuss Aer Lingus until it rejoins oneworld and we discuss earning, burning AAdvantage miles, EQM, etc.

The oneworld forum, and the Aer Lingus forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-l...-oneworld.html.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2016 at 11:00 pm Reason: Add
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I had a BA agent confirm to me at LHR last Tuesday that it is likely to happen in January of next year. YMMV.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:09 am
Suspended

It is likely that in 2017 oneworld will have Aer Lingus in and airberlin out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.