Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:42 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
You don't say which cabin you want, but I assume you're aiming for MileSAAvers. I just checked AA.com and see Business MileSAAvers (25K miles) and First MileSAAvers (for 32.5K) for both 12/25 and for 1/31 - although by default I was only searching for 1 ticket. I'd imagine the Coach MileSAAvers were already grabbed.

Award availability for this time period is not "blocked off", you can purchase AAnytime awards - for anytime...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. S
At the time of booking, the reservation agent advised me to put in a "dummy" date from JFK-LAX, and said that I could make a change for no fee when my desired date becomes available.

Wow, this one is surprising. I know that PLTs and below sometimes book dummy dates and then move them for free to get around expedite fees when booking close to departure date. But I would not have imagined an AA rep to suggest it.

That said, in this case, it might make sense, and would not be able circumventing a revenue stream for AA.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:05 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by Val
Looking for advice on ORD to DUB in business. I would prefer the AA non-stop vs. a partner award, but from what I can see online, there is not a single J award available between today, and the end of bookable flights (March 5, 2012).

Any tips?
I saw the same thing for this route when I was researching the changes to AA's pattern in loading in a certain number of 'U' seats at 330 days out. (CDG flts weren't effected from what I could see, but DUB and FCO were).

I also would have preferred to fly AA, but the only solution I found given AA's current MileSAAver policy was to book on IB.

So my tip is to reconcile yourself to book a partner award but in the event that AA does release MileSAAvers you can always re-book without a fee (providing the city pairs are the same).
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD
You don't say if you're looking for first, business or coach. 12/31 had PLENTY of first and business class awards.
I'm looking for saver coach. I've checked every day since early February, and there has not been one flight available during that window.

It would be pointless to pay an "anytime" premium just to get to LAX when I booked the rest of my JFK to AKL itinerary for 75K total miles.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:16 pm
sk3
Suspended

I'm looking for saver coach. I've checked every day since early February, and there has not been one flight available during that window.

It would be pointless to pay an "anytime" premium just to get to LAX when I booked the rest of my JFK to AKL itinerary for 75K total miles.
I can understand your frustration and I sympathize with you. Perhaps the Coach MileSAAvers were loaded in at 330 days out and immediately booked. Or perhaps for this route and for that cabin AA determined that it would be more cost effective to not load those seats at all.

But to try to see this disappointing scenario somewhat through a glass-half-full mindset, if you could travel on Dec 25 or Dec 31, for just 12.5K more per ticket you could fly transcontinentally in much greater comfort by getting the Business MileSAAvers.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM

And it would be exceedingly stupid to pay the AAnytime price for coach when for the same amount of miles you could fly in business.

One other thought: Have you called to find out about award availability on the QF JFK-LAX flight? I believe it's actually the aircraft connecting from AKL that makes this run. It's only bookable if connecting to/from a QF flight to/from OZ/NZ, so it won't show up online.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:14 pm

No MileSaver awards have been made available yet for late December travel to San Juan. (SJU, MIA, BDL, BOS)

Unlike every other year in February booking a Business Milesaver for Christmas week was easy especially for December 25th.

I've been watching every day sice February 1st and the "black-out" dates imposed for Milesaver is December 14th through December 31st.

No Mile saver coach awards either.

I know, I know there are no black-out dates but I think in 2011 there really is.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sk3

I can understand your frustration and I sympathize with you. Perhaps the Coach MileSAAvers were loaded in at 330 days out and immediately booked. Or perhaps for this route and for that cabin AA determined that it would be more cost effective to not load those seats at all.

But to try to see this disappointing scenario somewhat through a glass-half-full mindset, if you could travel on Dec 25 or Dec 31, for just 12.5K more per ticket you could fly transcontinentally in much greater comfort by getting the Business MileSAAvers.
It's not the simple: Because the OP is traveling on a single North America to South Pacific All-Partner Coach award, there is no option to upgrade just the JFK-LAX leg for 12.5K miles. Nor can the OP upgrade to an AAnytime award, as they are offered only for travel that is wholly on AA, and AA does not fly to AKL.

If the OP wants to fly in Business for any portion of his award, he would have to upgrade the entire award to Business Class for an additional 25K miles one way, even if he only got to fly the JFK-LAX leg in Business.

Also, the OP does not have the option of just purchasing the JFK-LAX leg for cash: if he fails to fly the JFK-LAX leg of his award ticket, the rest of the itinerary booked under the award will be cancelled.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Its a peak period - I dont expect AA will release seats at the lower award level - why should they? They can *sell* them. I suggest buying a ticket on AA or whomever to get you to LAX. That said, check the EWRLAX flight - it often has saver seats on it because it is far less popular than the JFK trips. Also, check LGA via an AA hub of choice. Finally, AA will allow you to combine paid and mileage tickets. Check for avail JFKLAS JFKSEA etc - even if you have to buy the short hop into LA it might be worth it.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Its a peak period - I dont expect AA will release seats at the lower award level - why should they? They can *sell* them. I suggest buying a ticket on AA or whomever to get you to LAX. That said, check the EWRLAX flight - it often has saver seats on it because it is far less popular than the JFK trips. Also, check LGA via an AA hub of choice. Finally, AA will allow you to combine paid and mileage tickets. Check for avail JFKLAS JFKSEA etc - even if you have to buy the short hop into LA it might be worth it.
If the OP takes your advice and buys a ticket from NYC to LAX, how does he then get to AKL? Once he fails to fly the JFK-LAX segment on his already-ticketed JFK-LAX-AKL award, the LAX-AKL segment will be cancelled automatically!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:23 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Today's thread re: JFK-LAX MileSAAver availability has been merged with the consolidated thread in order to help streamline discussions. Thanks for your cooperation. /Moderator
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:27 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976

It's not the simple: Because the OP is traveling on a single North America to South Pacific All-Partner Coach award, there is no option to upgrade just the JFK-LAX leg for 12.5K miles. Nor can the OP upgrade to an AAnytime award, as they are offered only for travel that is wholly on AA, and AA does not fly to AKL.

If the OP wants to fly in Business for any portion of his award, he would have to upgrade the entire award to Business Class for an additional 25K miles one way, even if he only got to fly the JFK-LAX leg in Business.

Also, the OP does not have the option of just purchasing the JFK-LAX leg for cash: if he fails to fly the JFK-LAX leg of his award ticket, the rest of the itinerary booked under the award will be cancelled.
Thanks for the correction guv. And I'm sorry to the OP of this portion of the thread for giving such lousy advice.

The post from JumboD sounds the most promising given the circumstances - to fly on QF for the JFK-LAX. Good luck to you.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by sk3
Thanks for the correction guv. And I'm sorry to the OP of this portion of the thread for giving such lousy advice.

The post from JumboD sounds the most promising given the circumstances - to fly on QF for the JFK-LAX. Good luck to you.
My flight is on Air Pacific, so I don't think the QF flight would be an option.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been trying to book JFK-LAX award seats in late December as part of an itinerary to New Zealand, but those dates are entirely blocked out. I booked the LAX-AKL portion 11 months in advance, but the JFK-LAX part has never come into the system on any of my possible travel dates. At the time of booking, the reservation agent advised me to put in a "dummy" date from JFK-LAX, and said that I could make a change for no fee when my desired date becomes available. I was expecting to have difficulty getting to New Zealand, not to LAX.

Here we are several months later....and still nothing. Worse case, I figured I could book a 1-way from JFK to LAX, but I was expecting something to open up. Is this common? Will they eventually open up seats? Do you have any suggestions?
I'm a little jet-lagged at the moment to completely comment on this, but it would seem to me that you are at least partly running into the domestic Holiday "embargo" problem. But my recollection is that you might be able to book the entire trip as long as you don't try to stop at LAX (the embargo doesn't apply for domestic seats connected to int'l seats). But I guess you need a partner to get to New Zealand, so maybe it doesn't work. I'd ask, though.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: No preference
I was looking for award space from Charleston (CHS) to Nashville (BNA) for May 15th. I'm new at booking award space and I know it's ridiculous to try and book this close to the date, but it's for my cousin. I warned him about booking well ahead of time, but apparently he's an idiot.

Question: Some space on BNA->CHS, but zero space on the return. I mean no award space ... ever. What gives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.